Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

BF650 or King Quad? All Opinions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006 | 03:15 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default BF650 or King Quad? All Opinions welcome.

Second post, sorry for the repost! I’m getting back into riding ATV’s after a very long lay off and now it’s time to buy one. Let me start by saying I’ve been riding my friends ’01 or ’02 Kodiak 450. And for the most part I really like it. The biggest issue I have with it is the lack of power.

Most of the riding I’ve done has been trails. These trails have some big rocks, mud, steep climbs, and some fast stretches too. That being said I feel I need EFI, locking dif, and a bike what is less then 620 lbs. I almost purchased a BRP Outlander but then I started to read the Versa-Lock isn’t 100%. I’ve been in some spots that 3-wheel drive will not cut it so the BRP is out. Now I’m looking at the King Quad 700 and the Brute Force 650. To me both bikes look the same except for the handgrip locking dif on the BF 650. How is that by the way? Is it a pain to grab? Hard to hold on to while riding over bumping terrain? Please give me some feedback about these to bikes.

Old 03-08-2006 | 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

the brute has carbs if that really matters. both are good machines. the front diff lock on the brute is a great system in that you can vary the amount of "lock". Highlifter makes a "pen lock" that allows you to latch it into the locked position if you want.
i was also looking at these two when i bought my brute, but the V-twin tipped the balance for me.
the EFI is not really an asset. it is very difficult to tune for more power, and will not produce as much power as an equal cc carburated machine that is tuned. (i doubt that anyone really expects a 700 KQ to keep up with a Kawasaki Prairie 700). but if you want it, you have to get the King Quad. like i say, the KQ is a very nice machine and will make you happy.

i have to say that i wouldn't trade my brute for any other atv out there. for me, it is the best. i'm not going to say that it is best for everyone else, but it has good trail manners (after putting decent tires on it), and enough power to terrify when you want terrified.

the KQ deserves a good look, too, so check out both closely and maybe one will stand out for you.

monty

Old 03-08-2006 | 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Based on your needs the KQ is the only one that fits. The Brute does not have a gear locker or EFI. It has a clutch type locker with discs that can alllow less than 100% engagement and wear.

EFI is an asset and if you hear otherwise they do not understand the system. EFI is easy to tune and can adjust for temp and altitude.

Old 03-08-2006 | 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

don't wanna hijak the thread, but what can EFI do that carbs can't? all i see is economy. and even that is a trade-off for reliability. if EFI goes down, you will be buying parts before going anywhere. it would take a huge problem with carbs to keep you from fixing it trailside.

i do agree that EFI will be the only system available one day, but for now it is very often the limiting factor, and how can you tune your EFI, say for a pipe change? can you get software and hook up a laptop to adjust a stock KQ? i hear of the Power Commander that will be available for atvs soon (maybe already), so maybe that will unlock the potential.
my brute starts and runs fine at all elevations i have been to so far (3700ft to 8000ft- too much snow to get any higher yet) i can't see any advantage to EFI.

just curious. not trying to bash anything, but i see no advantage to EFI yet. maybe i'm missing something. i am willing learn and am open minded. help me understand.

monty

Old 03-08-2006 | 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Mark me down for suggesting the KQ700 over the brute 650 or 750. The KQ is the better of the two for an all around machine. Not as fast, but straight line drag racing is the brutes only assett. The KQ is a reat machine for the money. No need to justify why efi is better. It just is! Otherwise we'd still have carbed auto's but we don't cause efi is better, point blank!

Old 03-08-2006 | 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ppope
No need to justify why efi is better. It just is! Otherwise we'd still have carbed auto's but we don't cause efi is better, point blank!

sounds like i'm not the only one that can't find tangible proof of the superiority of EFI. LOL

economy, and i just thought of another bentifit. emissions. (the reason for EFI auto's)

monty

Old 03-08-2006 | 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

"but what can EFI do that carbs can't?"

-----------Adjust for temp and altitude on the KQ and most other powersports products. The more advanced systems found in cars can actually "learn" and modify performance themselves. ATVs aren't to this level yet. Carbs do not do any of that. EFI is far more consistant in elevation changes since it can compensate for altitude (via pressure sensors).

-----------I can not stand CV carbs, especially in offroad vehicles. You twist a butterfly and have to wait for pressure to raise the slide, not to mention hard bumps can close the throttle for you since only pressure holds the slide up, not a cable like on a MX bike or quad. EFI is instant throttle responce.

------------Not to mention someone will be riding a EFi bike before you have your petcock turned on and are about halfway through with fiddling with the choke.

"and how can you tune your EFI, say for a pipe change? can you get software and hook up a laptop to adjust a stock KQ?"

----------YEP! You can completely remap an EFI bike before you could even get access to the bowls of a carb to change jets.

"i hear of the Power Commander that will be available for atvs soon (maybe already), so maybe that will unlock the potential."

---------It is here has been for eons.

"i can't see any advantage to EFI."

----Look, it is there.

Old 03-08-2006 | 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

okey dokey, the laptop mapping is a plus. (for some, others will still prefer the manual jet change. i'm middle of the road on this one) but the altitude point is moot IMO, i have never needed to jet for different altitudes. and i live in the rockies. don't need to choke the brute. they should all be warmed up anyway. never had a prob with the carb slides lag or bouncing (never heard of it before, but i can see how it could happen)

so i still see only personal prefernce. (after all that is what this thread is about). each to their own, and i'm glad we have choices, but for a while there i thought i was missing something.

sorry for sidetracking your thread cbi1000.

monty

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

I have had carbed quads & have a FI quad, I have had carbed dirt & street bikes & have a FI street bike now. I will not be going back.

Seriously the KQ is the only ATV made with EFI, true gear locker, & sub 650lbs. Just ride as many as you can and the decision will take care of itself. Scratch the EFI and you can get a Grizz, scratch the 650lbs. and you can get an Artic Cat, scratch the locker and you can get an Outlander. Scratch 2 of the 3 and every machine is in the running.

Old 03-09-2006 | 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Dobeck makes a module for the king that you can adjust by pushing buttons I would get the King over the kawi or any other brand for that matter The King is very underated just wait till you ride one Im shure you will be happy I had a brute FARCE it made me decide that I will never buy a kawi product again

Quick Reply: BF650 or King Quad? All Opinions welcome.