Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Wire Rope for winches, discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire Rope for winches, discussion

I want to replace the wire rope for my winch warn 2500

I don't want synthetic, why? I dunno just don't...

What I want is to spool on like 100' of line, why can't we use other wire rope besides galvanized 3/16?

I can get some stainless aircraft cable that is half of the diameter with plenty of work load. Wouldn't that let me spool on twice as much cable?

I found some 1/8 inch cable with a 2000 pound breaking strength, a 2500 pound winch only pulls like 1250 MAX if only one row of cable is spooled right?

I don't see why we can't use a much higher quality cable than the cheap stuff that ATV winches come with and drop the diameter to spool on twice the amount of cable.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

[quote]
Originally posted by: Dirtydude
I want to replace the wire rope for my winch warn 2500

?

?
, " a 2500 pound winch only pulls like 1250 MAX if only one row of cable is spooled right?"
....... no ,the first layer of cable on a winch drum is usually right at rated capacity, it decreases as each succesive layer spools on as you are functionally increasing the lever arm against the drum as the winding diameter increases.....

Old 04-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Your right

Guess I had better stick with regular sized winch cable!

I thought you needed to hook the cable thru a ****** then back to the winch in order to acheive the rated pull (in my case 2500 pounds for a warn 2500)

But I did some looking after your reply on how winches are rated and amazingly they are rated at the spool...Doesn't seem right though when you hook up to something.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

i think your referring to a ****** block setup and that does increase capacity[but you lose effective cable length by doing so[ try going to warns site, i just got a pair of 2.5's. i think somewhere on the site it shows effective pulls by layer and the decrease[in pulling capacity] that occurs

Old 04-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Years ago a fellow at Northwest Wire Rope tried to explain to me the difference between winch cable and cable used in a number of other applications. The only thing I really remember is to be sure to ask a true expert prior to buying cable for various applications. Aircraft cable may be perfect for a winch but I suspect there are several types out there. Same way with stainless or galvanized. Be very carefull because, as I'm sure you know, cables can do nasty things when they break.

Old 04-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Funny you bring up this topic. Just today I was pulling out some stumps and began by trying my winch. I really didn't feel comfortable hearing all the warning about cables snapping and such. I solved my doubts by simply using a logging chain. Problem solved. 2nd gear and a running start and the 'ol king yanked out the stumps and roots all in one shot.

I personally think winches are sometime overrated by some people, (not saying you guys are), but I hear people saying how they pull down barns, yank out 4x's stuck in 3' of mud, this and that. Sounds like some people mixed up their somokes for something else if you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 'el cheap-o whinch myself, but really only use it for my plow. I just can't seem to ever fail with my clevis and chain. That's my discussion (and opinion).

Old 04-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

how big were the stumps you were removing? id be careful with the yanking technique, atv tubing[frame components] is not typically of a heavy wall configuration and you could damage something.....

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Why do you need such a long cable? Can't you just get a 50' or 100' extention?

Old 04-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

Cause I didn't want cable and chains wrapped around my front bumper like other peeps do around here.

Guess I'll just use a normal 50' cable and keep some chain in a hard box. Right now my cable is about 15 foot shorter from this winters snowplowing. I'll rig up something better suited for plowing next fall like a heavy strap.

I'm just gearing up for this next years riding. Some of the hills around here are pretty dang steep and timbered so a 100' cable would be damm nice for dragging up a deer from a creek bottom instead of dragging it 50 foot then redoing the extention and dragging another 50'

but I suppose a full 100' drag would heat things up huh, perhaps the rest does the winch good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: oper2nyst
how big were the stumps you were removing? id be careful with the yanking technique, atv tubing[frame components] is not typically of a heavy wall configuration and you could damage something.....
I think around 3 1/2" +-. They were some evergreen bushes I cut down over the winter. I don't normally tug things out like that, but my pick and shovel were on strike that day. hehehe

Quick Reply: Wire Rope for winches, discussion