Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Utility Riders: What do you take?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility Riders: What do you take?

I carry everything but the kitchen sink, but my brother and brother-in-law would swear that I probably carry that also.

Always carry extra gas, oil, first aid kit, tools, tire patches, 12 volt air compressor, air hand pump, rope, tow strap, chain, cell phone and charger, flashlight, extra batteries, 12v spotlight, binoculars, matches, quick start fire wood, extra food and drinks, extra water, anti-freeze, sweat shirt, space blanket, air horn, flares, fire extinguisher, extra rain gear, gps, jumper cables, bungee cors of different sizes, tie straps, extra gloves (work and riding). In winter time extra warm clothing.

I have been lucky that I have never needed these things for me, but have helped quite a few riders on the trails.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

a socket kit with 2 extra ratchets, rope, a long strap, 2 extra sweatshirts, duct tape, tire plugs, extra spark plug, lighter and paper(fire incase i get lost), my hatchet, hunting knife and a couple pairs of socks. Oh ya a tank of gas just incase i dont make it to the next gas station and some gum.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: v2rider
Cell phone, bottle of water, granola bars, fix-a-flat, map, strap to pull polaris atvs back home.
lol, JK
As best as anyone can tell that's a very rigid strap that he connects between the AC and those Polaris'. But please don't tell anyone; Wouldn't want to hurt his pride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer

Just got into the sport & I'm gearing up. The air pump & tire patch kit sounds like a necessity. What type of small, sturdy DC air pump works for this low pressure application? Anyone have a link to a site, or a store name I can go to?
Thanks.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I started out with a CO2 inflator, but learned quickly that although they are super-handy and fast for mountain or road bike they aren't the best for atv's.

I really like my mini-footppump. It's compact, yet fast and easy enough that I don't feel the need to use an electric pump (at least on the trail).

Mini Foot Pump

I think there was a thing where members of honda owners group get a discount.

As far as patches, I had some of the little hollow cone shaped ones, but I foudn that they seem better as an emergency patch for a nail hole on a road motorcycle, and don't do so well with stick punctures on ATV tires.

I'd swing by Shucks/Auto Zone, or whatever and pick up one of the kits with the rope looking patches. I think they are around $7 to $9 for a package with tool, glue, and patches.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Just curious...don't the cO2 filler contain enuff air or what is there problem. I ordered a kit that came with that and don't expect to use it except in an emergency.... but I would hate to find out at that point that it can't do the job.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

well.. my experience.. is the c02 doesnt have the emph.. or "power" to fill up the tires.. as it needs some pressure..

duno might work good for you

Old 04-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

I just use a 12v pump I bought from walmart for about 10 bucks

works great, and it's very small and fits perfect under the seat of the quad.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

It depends. Around the farm my general gear includes:

Small survival pack with first aid kit
Tire repair kit and pump
Tow strap
Come along
Water bottle (size depends on weather)
Tool kit for fixing ATV
Flashlight
Emergency rain gear
Emergency clothing depending on season

Fence repair tools
Small hand saw and ax
Rope
Usually also take a modified AK type rifle that gets duty as a general farm and ATV rifle. Insanely rugged and durable with a folding stock and American made internals and EOTech holosight. Great farm gun.

Never fails that I see fence that needs fixing or a tree limb that needs to be cut or moved so the ax and saw and fence tools are almost always on the ATV. The rifle is pretty much like the American Express card. Never leave home without it. Coyotes, feral dogs and the like. General varmint control duties. Deer hunting in the fall. Does it all. Also, given the chance of accidentally stumbling onto someone cooking up a batch of meth or tending a hidden weed patch, being able to slap in 30 round mags one after another and deliver hate and discontent downrange in rapid fashion isn't a bad insurance policy these days either. Such is the world we live in.

Always take the cellphone too. I ride alone most of the time and do my chores alone most of the time for that matter. Never know when you may wreck badly or simply trip and break your leg or something back in the timber. yeah you may be able to struggle back to your truck or to the house but it is better to call for help. If I fell on a chainsaw back in the timber and ripped my guts open or cut my leg open I'd rather call for help rather than crawl through the woods to my vehicle or to the house while I tried to hold my guts in. not to mention the fact that you might be going into shock from such an accident. As small the things are today there isn't any excuse for not carrying one if you have one. You don't have to actually have it on. Who wants to be annoyed by it ringing and bothering you in the woods? Just shut it off and save the battery as an insurance policy - just in case you might need it for yourself or someone else. The minutes you save by being able to call for help from the scene and perform directed first aid and give the responders first hand victim info instead of having to ride somewhere for help and report the incident second hand may be the golden minutes that save someone's life.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The thing I don't like about CO2 is that it can take a couple of the 12gram ones, and the bigger ones are expensive. Ever had a puncture where you needed to add air to find the hole? Then have the patch not take the first time? Run over something and flatten more than one tire?

I guess my question is how many CO2 containers do you want to pack around (just in case) and/or do you want to mess with carrying a CO2 inflator and a second air source as a backup?

For mountain or road biking, however, I have an Innovation 2nd wind. Basically, it takes non-treaded (cheap air gun type) CO2, or the bigger and expensive threaded type, but it is also a (somewhat slow) mini-handpump. Unfortunately the hand pump just isn't high volume enough to be worth while on a quad.

I really like the mini-footpump, as I can inflate a quad tire in just a minute or so, and don't need to worry about running out of CO2. An electric pump would be fine, too, but to me this works easy enough that I don't see the need to get something else.

Quick Reply: Utility Riders: What do you take?