Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What to buy? Outty, Kodi, Sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy? Outty, Kodi, Sportsman?

Hey there,

I've gotten my choices down to three quads, all 06 models ...

06 Sportsman 500HO - No I, No P for a year and a free winch

06 Kodi 450 - No I, No P for 6months or free winshield, seat, pegs and winch

06 Outty 400 - 84mths finance, free winch

Right now I'm leaning towards the sportsman since I can get it and ride for a year, then pay it off with tax money next spring. I like the Kodi because it's smaller and lighter than the other two, and I've heard great things about the Outty 400, plus the outty is about 800 cheaper than the kodi ..

Any suggestions / comments?

Thanks guys!

Old 04-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get an Arctic Cat! jk I love the cats. Out of those three choices, Polaris 500HO, then Outty. Im not a huge fan of the Kodiak, but my dad has one and swears by it.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

the sportsman 500 is a solid machine. only problems with ours has been with the front hubs. sometimes they work sometimes they dont. its a 2000 500. butsame thing. currently its stripped to the frame in the garage gettin a lil TLC after somone hit a stump at about 30 and sent it into a forward tumble down the hill into a tree. Don't let drunk people rider yer chit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

just my 2 cents
i just bought a polaris 700efi and i love it ,i looked around at other makes but didnt really like what i saw.
polaris is just built strong,i know because i hit a big rock hard on the front grille guard (radaitor guard) and all it did was bend the guard (BOLT ON PART) just replaced it ,looks good again.the ride is awesome

Old 04-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

The 700 is pretty nice.. definatly more utility oriented than sport though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't hesitate to get the 500. Are you considering the EFI model? I think they have the early bugs worked out. We just bought an X2 for my wife and have had no problems. You can't go wrong with the Polaris.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I asked the dealer about some of the problems and the only one he was aware of was a faulty temperature sensor which gave a false overheating alarm on the dash.

I've looked at the X2, and I guess if the EFI's don't have the problems any more, then that's probably the way I will go. I like the fact that it converts into a two-up thus saving the need to get a rear seat as an extra.

Glad to see so much favourable support on the Polaris. If the quad was just for me I'd probably get the Kodi, since it's so much lighter and nimble from all I've heard. This quad is basically just something for me to ride until I get my next sport (thinking on a z400 or similar) and then the ute will become the wife's quad. Gotta teach her how to plow the driveway [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the replies!!

Old 04-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

NLWarrior01, we really like the X2 so far. You should ride one if you get the chance. If you have any questions about it you can post up here or send me a PM and I will do my best to answer them.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider

I do have one question regards to the x2 .. I notice on the web site it doesn't say that the x2 has the PXT tires .. are they really that much better than the stock rubber on the x2? Also, does the x2 have the EBS feature, or is it like the 500HO, without the ebs? I know it's not a big concern overall .. but how does the x2 perform in regards to accelleration and speed? Not a good machine for jumping I think, at nearly 800lbs dry .. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

My 800 has the PXT's and they are a good tire. The X2 comes with 489's and they seem to be a pretty good tire. They load up and require a little wheel speed to throw clean. They won't be too hard on the yard, especially in Turf mode. As far as I know, all of the X2's are still coming out with the two wheel EBS. It performs better on the X2 than on my 800. The EFI is nice as well. Accelleration is good and strong up to about 50 mph and then it keeps climbing, but just a little slower up to about 65 mph. Those speeds are per the speedo. I wouldn't jump it like an MX bike or anything, but the suspension seems to be pretty stable so far.

Quick Reply: What to buy? Outty, Kodi, Sportsman?