Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Utility shootout?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006 | 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default Utility shootout?

Read the previous page of posts. There are plenty of ideas listed. No, we don't want wimps testing the machines. We just would like to see practical, applicable testing done. You are right, there are some of us that like to go fast on these machines. However, it seems that alot of us actually do more work than recreate with them. It seems to me that you lose the perspective of a major group of the readership in your evaluations. We are offering constructive criticism and ideas on how to adjust the problem, not attacking you and your peers.

Old 05-02-2006 | 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

I want to clear something up, BTW, the last line on my previous post was intended to mean all responses are welcome, good and (should have read those of you that are irritated)......I agree there are some good ideas here, but think cost effective and efficient. As for long term stuff, I'm doing the BRP800 right now. Yeah, it's fun, it works, etc. It also has an ugly side, just like the rest. If you guys could set up the test, again, what would be the categories and what % would each hold. Now, would it be interesting to read? Think 5 tests that would be important to the over-all ute crowd. I'm 39, but still race and ride hard. I do like to cruise w/ the family too. Still, I guess I/we are a little out of touch w/ some of you guys and I'd like to help change that.

Old 05-02-2006 | 07:51 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The average buyer is just looking for a trail riding machine. They aren't out pulling stumps and they aren't out looking to navigate the most terrifying terrain. They just want a comfy ride on a machine that is of reasonale size and weight, but they also want 4X4 in case they get into trouble out there on the trail. The Honda Rancher is the best selling atv, so that tells you what most folks are looking for in their machine!

Folks are here in the forum, because they are ENTHISIASTS. You may be looking to go rock crawling or mud bogging every weekend, but not so the average rider. So, a review is naturally going to favor the needs of thousands of average buyers, not just a minority of big bore enthusiasts.

Actually, I hope we see a major evolutionary divergence of atv utility designs: One fork in the road will be along the lines of what we have today.......big bore(ing) "death trap rollover" machines that still show their "farm work tractor" heritage. Then, another fork that will follow the lead of the new Yamaha Wolvarine (still to big and heavy for my taste) and truely be "sport" utes.

When we reach that point, you other guys can have your own magazines with your own tractor pull reviews. Until then, the market place majority will rule how things get reviewed.

Old 05-02-2006 | 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree that the shootouts and write ups aren,t as honest as they should be. What it comes down to is the mags not wanting to offend the customer, companies advertising in their mags. We are customers too and want the dirt on these machines before going out and spending thousands ( in my case 9000) on an atv. I bought an outy 800 Because it got awsome write ups. I agree it handles and plays like no other. I also work an atv as much as play on one. They even put out an infomertial on what a good all around machine it is. The exhaust gets soo hot that it melted the fender and seat under normal riding conditions. I have recently found out that BRP redesigened a heat shield to fix this problem. I have melted my second seat. The factory told me that I was riding it to slow. (Remember it is supposed to be a sport/ute). I told them that I seen an add in an atv mag with an outy 800 with a plow blade and how much work this bike can do. I guess you have to plow your drive at 40 mph plus even know there is a warning on the plow blade not to exceed 10mph. Lots of speedometer problems also. You won't read none of this in the mags. A company doesn't redesign a heat shield unless there are several bikes with this problem. My bike also has sat in the shop 3 months out of the 7 I have owned it and it still is not fixed right. Soo much for the 3 year warrenty. It would be nice if the mags would print some of the problems. For the money spent I have gotten the major run around. If some of the problems were printed then may be the factories would stand behind their products instead of trying to sweep the problems under the rug.

Old 05-02-2006 | 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: weez440
if they wanna test reliability you won't be beating a machine by just trail riding even fastpace trail riding lets put some weight to these utilities and go play in some hardcore mud. put 29.5 in tires on all of them and break them let us know what is the best utility not the best sport/utility out there. i say get rid of the sport riders who test them and go with guys like most of us that actually use out utilities to the best of their abilities and beyond.
amen

Old 05-03-2006 | 03:22 PM
Trailblazer

Stay away from polaris. The only reason it pulls so good is it weighs so dang much. The polaris's I've owned and been around are tool time nightmares. How ever they do ride smooth if you have a bad back or something like that. I now own a 2005 KAWI 700 Prairie and love it. I forgot how much better the str. axle handles than the IRS. Also it has a very low center of gravity. I also only gave 6K for it brand new. On the trails a 800 is not going to be able to go any faster. But in drag race the 800's are a little faster. It pulls good and go's good. But if u want the biggest and badest. I would go with the 800 Bomb.. Oh if you want to out pull the 800 polaris with a 800 bomb just put about 140lbs. on the racks to make the bomb as heavy as the polaris and I would bet the farm it would out pull it. I have not heard anything bad about the bomb yet. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2006 | 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
The average buyer is just looking for a trail riding machine. They aren't out pulling stumps and they aren't out looking to navigate the most terrifying terrain. They just want a comfy ride on a machine that is of reasonale size and weight, but they also want 4X4 in case they get into trouble out there on the trail. The Honda Rancher is the best selling atv, so that tells you what most folks are looking for in their machine!

Folks are here in the forum, because they are ENTHISIASTS. You may be looking to go rock crawling or mud bogging every weekend, but not so the average rider. So, a review is naturally going to favor the needs of thousands of average buyers, not just a minority of big bore enthusiasts.

Actually, I hope we see a major evolutionary divergence of atv utility designs: One fork in the road will be along the lines of what we have today.......big bore(ing) "death trap rollover" machines that still show their "farm work tractor" heritage. Then, another fork that will follow the lead of the new Yamaha Wolvarine (still to big and heavy for my taste) and truely be "sport" utes.

When we reach that point, you other guys can have your own magazines with your own tractor pull reviews. Until then, the market place majority will rule how things get reviewed.
Amen to that. I think the $ of the Rancher has a LOT to do w/ its popularity. After reading this thread and taking notes, I realize that there is no way we can satisfy everyone with a test. What I'll try to do, though, is plug in some more utility stuff, to go along with the trail bangin'. I reside in the mid-south and ride a ute every day. The last time I was on a sport quad was in Feb', out in So-Cal. So, you see, I am a ute-dude. Would you guys say that Mike Penland isn't a ute guy do to the fact that he's been RACING utes for years? Just curious. What about Scott Kilby, Micheal Swift, Brock Parker?

Old 05-04-2006 | 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

what i would really like to see is you guys taking all these big bores beating the hell out of them for a year and put about 6000 miles on them and honestly tell us everything that went wrong with every one of them. i dunno how much biased personal feelings towards certain atv's or how much certain manufacturers pay for advertisement towards that respected magazine influence your tests but i wanna see a yearlong test. yes i do realize that atv's change from year to year and you wouldn't be reporting on the new up and coming atv's you would be basically reporting on yesterdays news but it gives people a good basis on what they want from an atv, how it stood up, where it was great and where it was horrible lets see a 50 page setup on this test alone after a year. give me something i can take into the bathroom and come out saying that is good reporting it is about time. oh and nobody gives a damn about top speed. one thing that would be interesting though is put them in low range and clock them from 0-30 mph lets see who has the low grunt.