Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Who wanted a good sport/ute but couldn't find one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who wanted a good sport/ute but couldn't find one?

How many people bought a new quad recently and had to pick a ute or sport but really wanted a good sport/ute for under $7000

Sign Here......

Old 06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

OK....Whats the point?

Old 06-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the point....

Listen to your customers.......

Old 06-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I personally think the sport/ute is a waste.
Its only going to be half-@$$ed at both things!

Kinda like buying an Chevy El Camino (do you want a car, or a truck)

Old 06-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I could go for the best of both worlds but it is true that it probably is a waste of time. Heck, I would just like to see a class of sport 4x4s using current tech, instead of what we have. But racks can be taken off, I guess.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
I personally think the sport/ute is a waste.
Its only going to be half-@$$ed at both things!

Kinda like buying an Chevy El Camino (do you want a car, or a truck)
I agree 100%. If you want to jump 6ft in the air, get a sport. If you want to push your neighbors car into the lake, get a Ute!!!

Old 06-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are likely to get a biased opinion here in the utility forum, just like you will get the opposite bias in the sport quad forum!

Pure ute riders always mention things like jumping and going fast when they talk about sport quads. But why can you do things like that on a sport quad, because the sport quad is light, has a low center of gravity (that doesn't necessarily mean low ground clearance), and it is stable in a turn or an off camber. I would like to see a hybrid, not because I want to go fast or jump a huge monster ute that's as big and heavy as a Jeep, but because I want a 4wd with those characteristics.

Things like reasonable weight (vs 700+ pounds) and stable handling, seem to be the things that the manufacturers have chosen to ignore, because they can build a lard a$$ machine with less R&D and for less money.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt that members on this forum can even agree on what qualifies as a sport-utility. Everyone seems to agree that a Rincon and Outty 800/650 are sport utes because they emphasize handling or power and lack important utility features like front diff lock or ground clearance. The middle ground big utes such as KQ, Grizz, and Brutes are full featured for utility but are often lumped into sport-ute class. The big bore ACs are also full featured but are usually classified as utility and are then dumped on because the sport performance doesn't stack up. I have even seen reference that only true sport utes are Wolverine and Polaris Scrambler. And how about big inch Polaris? Are 800efi and 700efi sport utes while MV7 700 and 700 Twin are pure utility?
I also totally dissagree with idea to buy either pure sport or pure utility. There is a place for all these machines but I just cannot classify them. I even owned a very nice El Camino back in the 70s until I got tired of sleeping outside in the winter.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ihave a Utility, as stated an Arctic Cat, but after a few mods, it can seem like a sport utility, just a little heavy at 90 degree turns, and jumps!!

Old 06-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The term "sport ute" is just a marketing term, and really doesn't define a class at all (although manufacturers would like you to think it does). It's just a way to sell you a big heavy machine, and make you feel a little better about it!

I had hopes for the new Wolverine to define the class, but at 516 pounds (heavier than my moded Rancher), and with a foo foo automatic transmission, I don't know what to call that thing.

Quick Reply: Who wanted a good sport/ute but couldn't find one?