Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Slime the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:36 AM
jbh
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slime the tires?

Anyone use this green stuff? Anyone know if it actually works? Does it affect the balance of the tires?

Thinking about doing it before I ride in colorado in a few weeks but wanted to get some input from eveyone.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slime the tires?

I have tried Slime, and DID NOT like it! It contains fibers that will plug a hole. It works best on higher pressure tires, but not so well on low pressure ATV tires. Eventually, it will dry up and just leave a nasty crust inside your tires.

I now run Fix-a-Flat in all my tires all the time, and prefer it to Slime. But, none of these products if going to seal a large hole or slash, so carry plugs.

No issues with tire balancing. And, keep in mind that these are liquids, so rim corrosion may be an issue!

Old 06-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Slime the tires?

I have used it on my Z400. diden't have any problem's with balance. It did seal the leak. Really can't tell you what the long term will bring, just used it about 3 weeks ago.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default Slime the tires?

I have used it in my quad for over a year, wont go with out it. I have here you rim gets pretty nasty ( dirty ) with the stuff when you change the tire. I would carry plugs also.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Slime the tires?

I've had slime in my Bugs for over 3 years now. It's never given me any problems and has sealed some holes. From what I've read, the stuff Highlifter sells is the best but Slime works pretty well also. It's all just over-priced IMHO.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Slime the tires?

had it in my tires and it works great, no balance problem, seals great, and i just changed my stock tires and it was still a liquid. just watch when you break the bead, it might get on you.as far as the rims spray em off and put the new ones on.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Slime the tires?

I have had it in all my four wheelers since......... 4-EV-ER! I got thorns from down here in Texas that look like 16 penny nails. I still carry plugs even with the slime. Slime can olny seal smaller holes.

Make sure to put the same amount in each tire. Don't put in more that they advise, in fact you can put like 10 ounces and see if that works. Then add more later if needer.

The rims and tires have all that green slime in them when you go to change them, but its not a problem though. It will wash off with water.

FIx-A-Flat is not good to run because I believe it hardens after a little while. It is not a preventative type stuff. Its a get-you-home so you can put slime in type stuff. I was also told it makes the inside of your wheels rust quickly over the long term.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:30 AM
jbh
Trailblazer
Default Slime the tires?

Thanks for the replies. I will slime them and get some plugs as well for the Colorado trip. When I used to run the Mudrunners on the Rancher they are so thick that I never had to worry.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:02 AM
Range Rover
Default Slime the tires?

Several of our group have used it for years and it does seem to work well.............just be careful when you put it in the tire.
There was a couple of geniuses in our crowd that decided to pressurize the slime bottles with an air hose to speed up the injection process.
It works just fine unless the tube from the slime bottle to the valve stem comes off under about 80 psi.............then the slime will also seal the fender..........your hands..........face......... levis.......T-shirt........garage walls..........ceilings............

Old 06-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Slime the tires?

I have used slime for awhile now but heard it can eat up aluminum rims, so I called the slime people and they it can and it is meant to be cleaned out and replaced every 2 years. If you have steel rims you are ok, Im not sure I want to have to take my tires off and clean the rims that much. I carry the plug kit now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]