Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2 UP SEATING For Utility Quads

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 UP SEATING For Utility Quads

Good post.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Range Rover

I would say I got a pretty good response from my question. Thanks for all your post. Calvin

I WANNA RIDE!

Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

One more thing to consider:

If you have insurance on your ATV, will it still be valid if you are riding with a passenger?

Might want to check your policy.

Riding "2 up" might just void out the coverage.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it damages the quad with to much weight, i dont think anyone would tell the insurance agent that they had two people on it anyway. That would be foolish

Old 08-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wasn't thinking about damage to the ATV. I was thinking of an incident where the rider and/or passenger are injured and try to make an insurance claim to pay for the medical bills. That wouldn't be the time to find out that there was a little clause in the policy that voids the policy if 2 people are on the ATV. Personally, I would have no problem riding with a passenger and I respect those who say it is not safe. Guess it just comes down to how and where you ride I just know that when it comes to insurance companies paying out, they will look for ANY reason not to. It's just a good idea to know ahead of time.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

I'm inclined to believe that if years of people letting their kids ride adult ATV's by themselves (and crashing) hasn't doomed the sport, these lounge boxes sure aren't going to do it.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:46 PM
CWG
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kwb377
Originally posted by: trvman
all it takes is one person to say it was a seat that caused my legs to be broken and now i cant walk for some sue happy tree hugger to shut down more of our trails! we say we follow ALL the rules by staing on the trail well how can you say i follow ALL the rules if you ride two up on a atv that warns aganist that? we should try to follow all the laws so we dont feed the fire for anti atvers.
Are you serious?

First off, it's not illegal (at least where I live) to ride a passenger on an ATV. Just because a manufacturer advises against it in an owner's manual doesn't make it illegal (I notice that you have Maxxis Bighorns...I'll bet your manufacturer advises against using non-stock tires, also).

Second, I notice in your pic gallery that you're riding a passenger, and have this quote "we put three per bike and just go"...also see a wheelie there too (that's safer than riding a passenger?) , and someone riding without a helmet.

OH SNAP!

Old 09-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

theres a hard storage box/seat made by a compay called Kimpex. check them out, nice coushined seat and nice storage.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:49 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Here's the problem(s) from a lawyer's perspective:

First, if you think someone's being a bit satirical about the ATV rider turned ATV TV show victim, maybe they are a little, but then remember the 3-wheelers. 3-wheelers were lawsuited right out of production because no one wanted to learn how to ride them before they bought them...parents thought little Johnny would be safer on a 3-wheeler than a mini-bike, only Johnny knew the basics of mini-bikes because he rode a bicycle first...not so for 3-wheelers. No prior riding experience = a busted melon for Lil Johnny when he tried to make his first turn at speed, especially when coupled with no helmet. Who gets burned?...not the injured kid...not the grieving parent...but the deep-pocketed manufacturers, (as well as all of us capable of exercising common sense.)

It's common sense that people lack...then when they get injured for not having/using common sense, they want to place blame on someone else. What is common sense? Unfortunately, it is not all that common....common sense tells me to put a helmet on because my head is not harder than the rock it might hit if I fell off my ATV for some reason, but as we all know, too many people think it's ok to ride without a helmet. Common sense tells me that smoking cigarettes causes cancer, yet the tobacco industry is nowhere close to being shut down. Common sense tells me to buckle my seatbelt before I start driving, yet police issue thousands of citations each year for drivers not wearing seatbelts.

The "seat" manufacturers you speak of cannot call their cushioned product a seat, because although common sense tells you that the ATV will handle safely with the rider and a certain amount of cargo weight, some dumbass will buy one and bolt it on, and then think it will make it safe for his 300 pound wife to ride behind him (when the ATV's max cargo weight is less than half that) The guy then rolls/flips it over on himself or goes off a cliff because it is unbalanced and won't handle worth a damn, yet he'll blame the seat manufacturer and try to sue to recover for his injuries.

Same goes for the ATV manufacturer....they HAVE to tell you that the design is for one person, because otherwise someone who is too damned big to ride will get on the back of the seat(once again weighing more then the allowed cargo weight) and it will cause the vehicle to become unbalanced and unstable and susceptible to roll-over...so when it happens who do they sue? you got it...the manufacturer.

I have ridden for years with my children/girlfriends holding on behind me, but they all have weighed far less than the recommended cargo weight limit of my ATVs, and I have always ridden with common sense.

Don't blame the lawyers...they're just going where the money is...blame the sorry asses who won't own up to their own damned stupidity and lack of common sense and who hire the lawyers to try to cover it up.