Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

big utility atv s

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 11:11 AM
R3
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I AM LOOKING FOR ANY COMPARISON TESTS I CAN FIND BETWEEN BIKES SUCH AS THE SPORTSMAN500HO GRIZZLY RUBICON etc IAM ALSO INTERESTED TO KNOW HOW SOME OF THESE ATVS WITH A HIGH CENTER OF GRAVITY WOULD SUIT A SHORTER RIDER 5|7" IAM AN EXPERIENCED 2 WHEELER LOOKING FOR THE BEST CLIMBING MOUNTAIN TRAIL ATV OUT THERE I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR THE BEST ANY RESPONSE WOULD BE MOST HELPFULL

Old 12-01-2000, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Best climbers would be Polaris Sportsman HO or a Scrambler 4x4. Which one you want would depend on your riding style. The Sportsman is SMOOTH, no better riding machine out there. The Scrambler is more for spirited trail riding. Not a race machine, but a fast trail runaround.
For rock hopping, don't rule out the Arctic Cat 500. It has semi-independant rear suspension to keep all for wheels on the ground. It is also available manual shift if you don't like an auto.
The Sportsman has fully independant suspension, whick follows the ground contours very well. Amazingly so at fair speeds. Also has low range and 2 racks to carry your stuff, but it is heavy.
The Scrambler is the standard swingarm rear end, but is faster & lighter than the Sportsman. Racks & a hitch are add-ons, though and it has no Low range.
Those would be my top 3 choices for mountain climbers, depending on use.

Old 12-01-2000, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

I wrote up a good long message, then my damned browser froze up, and I lost it.

So.....In summary....

SPORTSMAN.

If you have any questions, ask.

Dave

Old 12-02-2000, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

R3,
I'm 5'10" and ride a Grizzly. As far as having a high center of gravity goes, you have to spend alot of time on your feet in real agressive riding situations. But when I'm on my feet and going for it,the Grizzly can do some amazing things!

Rick

Old 12-02-2000, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Simple sentance:

ATV of the Year, Rubicon.

Enough Said. And it has Honda's name and quality.

Old 12-02-2000, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

R3:
Like Farmr said, don't rule out the AC 500! I've got a couple Auto's, and have climbed some stuff so steep, you're standing on the rear fenders, leaning so far over the front end you can damn near look underneath your quad and even still, your front end has a hard time staying on the ground! They've also got the most torque of any atv out there at 31 ft/lbs.

One thing to think about is that speed won't always do the trick. Yeah, it may help you get to the top of the hill faster, or make it possible to get up with a 2wd machine, but that speed can also mean flipping at the top, or anywhere in between. Most of the time in the really steep stuff I climb, you're in 4 low, and crawling up slowly but surely, with tires biting and clawing at anything and everything they can grab. In these circumstances, higher speeds will definately result in a rolled machine, and most definately an injured rider. Not a good combination.

On an interesting note, I recently installed a set of 27" Bi/Tri Claws to my 'Cat. My also installing a set of 3/8" spring spacers, I actually made the machine more stable than stock, even with the higher center of gravity! I can now cross the same side hills with ease, compared to the completely stock machine that felt like it might be a little tipsy.

Best of luck in your decision. And really, there isn't a bad machine out there. Find one you like the best with the features you really want in a machine. Test drive as many as possible and find the one that fits YOU the best. If money is an issue, don't settle for something you can afford. Hold out just a little longer to make sure you get what you REALLY want, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself. I damned near bought a Honda before I knew anything about the 'Cats, and since finding out about them, I'm glad I held out. Couldn't be happier with my 'Cat, I love it!

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 12-04-2000, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

Read the articles on this forum. For extreme terrain; where torque, low center of gravity, short wheelbase and tight turning are paramount, the Quadmaster got my vote. I like the CVT improvements made by Suzuki too. They are used by my local forestry dept. for patrol and rescue. The article on this forum is pretty informative.

Old 12-05-2000, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Dont overlook the Traxter Series, They will comfy climb things you cant crawl up on hands and knees.
Dont recommend just running off and buying anything until you have give a few makes a FAIR test.
Enjoy what ever you purchase.

Old 12-10-2000, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

two words for honda

UNDER POWERED

Old 12-14-2000, 03:39 AM
Trailblazer

R3,
You will get a thousand diffrent answers to this question, but as far as comfort in the ride and power the bottom line is the Sportsman500 and any Honda owner that is honest will tell you the same. And the Sportsman is the current and raining moster quad of the year and last three if I am not mistaken.
Alot of other good quads out there it really boils down to your wants and needs, get a Sportsman 500 that is my opinion and not just because I have one I use to only ride honda, but that changed after riding a Polaris Sportsman and would not give it up for nothing.

Quick Reply: big utility atv s