Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

No Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006 | 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default No Differential?

The kawie bayou 300 2wd had a locking rear differential.

Old 09-08-2006 | 10:46 PM
No Ruts, No Glory
Default No Differential?

Hondabuster is correct about what a differential is...it allows wheels on the same axle to spin at different rates.

Jaybee is correct as well...there are very few ATV's with a rear differential...IRS or fixed axle...and like the Polaris (500?) it is for the purpose of not shredding the turf when you make a turn. 2Manytoys is incorrect, as all solid axle shaft drives also have a ring and pinion-based drive system, AND...I believe the Polaris Outlaw is a chain driven IRS without a differential.

The front is entirely a different(ial) matter, as many front differential units are in fact differentials that allow one wheel to turn at a different speed when going around a corner. Many times this means that one wheel will be underpowered when the front end gets stuck in mud (thus a 4wd is really just a 3wd)

A locking front differential does exactly that, locks both front wheels up with the drivetrain, making them both turn at the same speed at all times, which makes it tough to steer an ATV when it's locked up front

Old 09-10-2006 | 08:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default No Differential?

Texasroadlawyer,

I dont recall saying anything about a solid rear axle so how was I wrong? I was talking about IRS machines. You have 3 different kinds of differentials. An open diff, limited slip and posi or locked diff. MOST atv's are locked differential. I am a certified mechanic and have been building 4x4 trucks for mudding and rock crawling for over 20yrs. Any time you need parts for the front or the rear it is called a differential nothing else! . A differential connects 2 seperate axles not one!.

A differential is a unit that takes the power of the rotating driveshaft at right angles to the rear axle and passes it to the axles. A differential will not only drive both rear axles at the same time, but will also allow them to turn at different speeds when negotiating turns.

.Just because it is or not locked does not mean it is not a diff. Yes you are right about the Outlaw it is chain drive and is not a true differential because there is no ring and pinion. A shaft drive is somewhat a diff setup but is not a diff because it still controls 1 axle.

Old 09-11-2006 | 01:44 AM
No Ruts, No Glory
Default No Differential?

Please....skip the lesson...with the 4x4s you build, regardless of how you set up the differential, (open, posi, locked, limited, air locker, welded, etc) they NEVER have a solid axle in the rear (or front) that runs from one hub through the housing to the other.

So...what we're talking about is rear axles/drives, in response to MOTO's question.

Here's what you wrote

"Actually all irs machines have a diff but not all are limited slip. Polaris has an option on some of the quads to have a turf mode. This unlocks one side of the rear diff so it wont tear up the grass. A differential will have a ring and pinion. All IRS machines have a ring and pinion. There are just different setups on differentials but all are considered to have a diff."

Look again...you are directly asserting that there is a differential in IRS (and indirectly solid axles) when there is not one....a ring and pinion alone do not make a differential. Don't take my word for it, go to any online parts dealer and look at the schematics...any shaft drive, solid or IRS, will have a ring and a pinion gear. It's the spider gears and side gears that make it a differential, as they are what connect the ring gear to the seperate axle shafts

You also said

"A differential connects 2 seperate axles not one!. "

Now, if you take a moment to think about it, it makes no sense for an ATV company to build a rear differential in an ATV with IRS, since the rear wheels are turning at the same speed. And no, they are not all running two seperate axles into a housing. Once again, take a look at a schematic...say a Grizzly for example...There are no seperate speeds for either side because it has a solid axle running through the housing, with universal joints on each end.

Up front they are called "DIFFERENTIALS", because, by your own definition, there are two different axles that are turning at different speeds.
In the back they are called "REAR DRIVES" because there is only one axle (except for that special purpose Polaris you mentioned) that is being turned.

Old 09-11-2006 | 01:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default No Differential?

And POSI-traction was Dodges nickname for limited slip!

Old 09-11-2006 | 06:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default No Differential?

Psycholic,

Before you put your 2c in you need to get your fact straight. Posi is not a Chrystler term it is a GM term. Chrystler called it sure grip traction!

Old 09-12-2006 | 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default No Differential?

And Posi is not a LOCKED diff as u described...It is a 'LIMITED slip' type---U could use some of your own '2 cent' advise!

Old 09-12-2006 | 06:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default No Differential?

I NEVER said posi was a locked diff. I said open diff, limited slip AND posi or locked!!! Thats 3 different kinds. Open diff being 1, limited slip and posi being 2, locked being 3. I have my facts straight!

Old 09-12-2006 | 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default No Differential?

OK, a differential, (such as an ATV front axle), allows two drive shafts to spin at different speeds, so the name makes sense.

But if an axle, such as a live rear axle like a Vinson, or an IRS like a Grizzly, cannot spin their rear tires at different(ial) speeds, how can that be correctly called a differential? By locking a differential aren't you removing the differential? So can a simple ring and pinion rear axle is a "differential"? or is it a common misuse of terms? hmmmm

Old 09-12-2006 | 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default No Differential?

common mis-use of the term. it should be called "final drive" or something of the sort.

monty

Quick Reply: No Differential?