Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

No Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006 | 07:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default No Differential?

OK maybe Im useing too much automotive knowledge and useing it in atv world. In automotive the final drive would be in the trans. This is the actual definition of the differential. It may or may not apply to atv's. It says a differential will drive both axles at the same time meaning locked or at different speeds meaning open or limited slip. I'll stay with my automotive definitions. If I am wrong in saying that all or most IRS machines have a diff I stand corrected but by going by the definition I still think they have diffs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A differential is a unit that takes the power of the rotating driveshaft at right angles to the rear axle and passes it to the axles. A differential will not only drive both rear axles at the same time, but will also allow them to turn at different speeds when negotiating turns.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 09-13-2006 | 08:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default No Differential?

my service manual calls it the final drive. it turns both axles at the same time, but not "also at different speeds"

the term "final drive" does not usually apply to the trans in heavy equipment, but the planetary on wheeled vehicles or gear reduction on tracked equipment. i suppose since it is the last gear reduction, "final drive" is the most proper, but rear diff is usually understood for what we are talking about.

monty

Old 09-13-2006 | 08:38 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Default No Differential?

Originally posted by: MotoF150
Is there any ATV with a working differential?
The Jetmoto 250 hunter has a "open" differential in it. It works just like a car, the wheel in the air gets all the power and you dont move. It does make it very easy to turn though, and doesnt tear up grass turning either.