Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

must have things to bring on trail rides

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default must have things to bring on trail rides

I spent my youth riding dirt bike all over the Baja peninsula.......most of the time SOLO! It's more about attitude, than anything else. I know from years of experience that I can take care of myself out there...........

So, I come from a minimalist 'travel light and fast" background. If I can't fit it in a medium size backpack and the tool storage space on a sport quad, then it stays home! I have never, never gone wrong, using this philosophy. Even if I am riding a ute where I could bring the kitchen sink along, I keep it to this minimalist list:

Water- I ride desert, so a 3 liter Camelback bladder is the minimum
Jacket- Waterproof GoreTex (and pants in cold or wet weather)
Toilet Paper
Energy Bars
Survival Kit- basic stuff we learned in Boy Scouts
Very basic first aid
Basic tools and tire plug kit, CO2 cartridges*, buddy tow strap
Sat or Cell phone- I find that radios usually have to limited a range to reach back to a base camp
Handgun- one of the extremely light S&W Scandium frame .357 mags

Most important, a well maintained quad with a desert fuel tank! And, I always wear a full set of safety gear (helmet, goggles, gloves, Tech-6 boots, chest protector, elbow and knee protection, MX pants), no matter how hot it is............

*Everybody on a ride carries their own CO2, and you never give yours up for somebody else.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Red Rider

Another thought for those who ride in extreme climates: TAKE A LESSON FROM THE ULTRALIGHT BACKPACKERS!

There is ultralight backpacking gear available now where you can keep the essentials down to a mere 10 pounds! That's pack, sleeping bag and ground pad, and tent. I could add ten pounds to my load, no problem. That would give me the ability to overnight in comfort, in case of an extreme emergency.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: reconranger
Another thought for those who ride in extreme climates: TAKE A LESSON FROM THE ULTRALIGHT BACKPACKERS!

There is ultralight backpacking gear available now where you can keep the essentials down to a mere 10 pounds! That's pack, sleeping bag and ground pad, and tent. I could add ten pounds to my load, no problem. That would give me the ability to overnight in comfort, in case of an extreme emergency.
Recons posts make a lot of sense and are aimed at a temperate climate. The big thing is be ready for the area and weather you will be traveling in. What he is carrying work for him but would not do for my needs or would mine for him.

Growing up working off a horse with just a couple of saddle bags and your pockets to carry things in you learned to get along with dang little. Having more is a lot easier and gives you a lot better chance of doing well in a bad situation.

Most folks never really consider what they will do in a worse case situation. That's why so few people carry any kind of gear in their car and are really unprepared in their homes.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

"*Everybody on a ride carries their own CO2, and you never give yours up for somebody else. "

do you mean H20?

in the desert, i ALWAYS bring extra water and have saved the day for a few people. talking to the desert riders on the boards, i find this is common among us. it is no big deal and is a way to win friends among the mt. bikers and hikers. i was raised to always assist those in need.

monty

Old 11-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Make sure one of your water bottles has the squirt top. If you need to clean a radiator or oil cooler full of mud or sand, it helps. Been there.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Red Rider

No, I meant CO2 cartridges to reinflate tires. I have had to plug and reinflate so many peoples tires over the years, and that would leave me no backup for myself, so we now have a rule that you bring your own.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I have a 12 VDC compressor to fill tires. No need to worry about the CO2 issue. The compressor I have now has a spotlight on it but the light never works because the bulb is always broken from the vibration and shock of travel in the box. Been looking for a smaller compressor without a light or other stuff on it. Even used the thing to pump up a tire on a neighbors boat trailer so he could get it to the tire store.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

beer

Old 11-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

These are good ideas to utilize. I have a 30 in. axe and a small coleman military style entrenching tool along with 2 15 or 20 feet tow straps (one with hooks, one with loops)in my gear box. Saw a video on how to use the entrenching tool to use it as a pull anchor if you get stuck without trees or other anchor point. Haven't tried this yet but might be something to try in a pinch. I also carry a multi tool that has various screw driver bits, knives, saws, file, etc. and a compass. Might be a good idea carry the cell phone charger also, for those long trips, mine went dead at Windrock last year, wished I had it. Also needed a GPS at Windrock, will definitley have one next April when I go back. Check out the link for the video.

null

Old 11-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Gawd; I feel like a piker.
I take 4 things
#1 A buddy
#2 A lighter
#3 A GPS unit
#4 A tow strap
Sometimes I take water but most of the time I find a stream on the trail.
#1 is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to bring. I don't care how many things you bring, if you drive over a cliff or flip a 700lb quad on yourself, your going to be in a world of hurt if you don't have a buddy to help you out.

Quick Reply: must have things to bring on trail rides