Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Power delivery between a big single or a twin?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:43 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power delivery between a big single or a twin?

What is the advantage of a twin or single of the same engine size? For Example a single cylinder 660 or 700 Grizzly compared to a 650 or 700 twin of another make. Does one big paint can deliver more bottom to mid range power, while two soup cans delivers better top end power?

Old 11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

I've owned two V-Force 700s, a Prairie 650, a Prairie 700, three Grizzly 660s, and a Grizzly 700. I think the big singles seem to respond a bit quicker when you hit the throttle, while the V's are smoother but take a half second or so more to respond. I like the power of the V better, but the response of the single better. The fuel injected Grizzly 700 is really smooth and fast though, and is pretty much the best of both the old big singles and the V motors.

DV

Old 11-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting! A v-twin will have a better power curve and better low end. Line up a kawie 650 vtwin (633cc) and a griz 660 single (660cc) and the vtwin will be quicker off line, have a better power curve and faster top speed. This doesn't mean the griz 660 is bad, but just an example that I am aware of. I think the griz700efi is better than the 660 for quicker off line starts b/c of the EFI. But, remember this, on a vtwin there is always a power stroke on each thrust. A single has a power stroke and then an exhust stroke. This is what I have learned, but I COULD BE WRONG. There are other guys here who know motors like the back of their hands, so wait until they reply to get some facts.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

size, weight, and cost? advantage single
power? advantage twin
take a look at some dyno tests on twins and singles. twins got more tq and hp for longer

Old 11-04-2006, 04:19 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Reason I ask is when i used to motocross ,I wondered whey they never made v twins crossers in the 250 or 500 open range classes?

Old 11-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

my KTM single had 62 hp stock and weighed around 230 lbs. To be honest, I couldn't use those 62 horses but a fraction of the time. I flipped it in 4th, an it would come up at will in 5th. So I don't see the need for the extra parts for some extra power. These bikes were nearly unmanageable in the woods.

A utility ATV is different being heavier and big enough to place the weight in the right spot, but every time I see some ATV hero brag how fast their racing utility is I have to laugh. A racing ute. I took a KLX 300 out for a short blast last weekend and I forgot how much fun bikes are, and faster through the woods than any ATV.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A utility ATV is different being heavier and big enough to place the weight in the right spot, but every time I see some ATV hero brag how fast their racing utility is I have to laugh. A racing ute.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>

Actually, there is quite a bit of power in most newer utes. I regularily have my 700+ pound ute doing 70mph! Thats right up there with most sport quads top speeds. They just get there faster!

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

Reason I ask is when i used to motocross ,I wondered whey they never made v twins crossers in the 250 or 500 open range classes?

Reason is it would cost too much to produce and repair back then a v-twin or twin that could match the mighty 2 strokes. There has been overseas companies who tried the idea I believe but failed. About the best v-twin engines I know of for being high strung for motocross would be the Aprilias, Ducatis, and the Suzuki TL1000s and Honda. I know about the Suzukis because I owned one and man that bike had power. 1st gear revved to about 55 mph and the tire was spinning slightly the whole way. That was a fun ride. I also rode MX alot of my life. Brian

Old 11-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, there is quite a bit of power in most newer utes
I'm glad you gave me this opportunity to voice an opinion. Unlike yourself, I try not to get into these my ATV is more powerful than your ATV threads. I am so tired of wannabes ranking on one brand or another because their ATV has more power. Fact is, when put into the right perspective (if you are bragging about power of your ride, whatever that is), the power to weight ratio is whimpy for all of these ATVs. If these all-powerful ATVs had the same power to weight as a KX500, you'd be trying to control 180+ horsepower.

70 mph, big deal. Is that a number that makes you fast? Bet it took a while to get there and that's still slow. I do that on the highway every day with a power to weight much lower than an ATV. Some have taken an ATV from a fun utility tool to a compensation device for wannabe racers who are scared of motorcycles. Sport quad or Ute, doesn't matter. ATVs are hardly ever the fastest way from point a to point b, no matter how much power it has. And if you are bragging about power, isn't this your objective, or is it just for bragging rights (Duel CEO)?

I am not saying that when you jump on one of these things and it has the power to flip over doesn't take a little sense or skill to drive, but the ATV in general is limited in performance. There comes a point when the machine does not benefit from more power for it's intended purpose. Look what happened to the open class MX bike. It's history.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wow. Somebody got their panties in a bunch. I didnt buy my quad to race it. And you say the utes ar "wimpy"????? I dont define wimpy as a 700+ pound quad being able to flip over backwards from a dead stop, or pull 3000 pounds around the farm. They arent made to race, thats why i said "it takes longer to get there". I bought it to haul 200+ pounds of gear up the side of a steep hill in a snowstorm. Can your kfx do that? NOT LIKLEY. I made a comment because you said every time someone brags about how fast their ute is, you laugh. What the hell is so funny about that?? Mabey you are pissed because a ute will go as fast as your sport, not as soon of course, but it may catch up. Who cares? Like i said, i dont have mine to race it. Yes its fun to stick aftermarket mods on it, but i dont regularily race it. So chill

Quick Reply: Power delivery between a big single or a twin?