Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

All Honda's Are Beltless

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default All Honda's Are Beltless

Originally posted by: Catterman
Originally posted by: MotoF150
To Be Fair: I will admit there have been some improvments over time to the belt drives but there is plenty of room for more improvment like

1) why can't anybody make the engine side covers that cover the belt waterproof?

2)Why can't they install a check valve in the air vent tube that allows air in but water out?

3)Why can't any dealer that sells a belt drive warranty the belt?

4)Why can't any dealer give the customer a break on the price or lower the price of a replacement belt?

5)Why can't they design the system so its quick and easy to change a belt?

6) Why can't dealers throw in a free extra belt when you buy a new ATV?
1) I have taken my Arctic Cat up to the racks in water, belt is always dry

2) Because that is impossible, and not needed

3) Some do

4) Because they are cheap parts anway

5) Because belts last 15,000+ miles, and they aren't hard to change anyway

6) Because that is a waste.

I agree with TLC, hop on my snowmobile and I will show you what a belt can do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
If C says its easy.....its easy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hop on my sled and you'll see a belt run 136mph, almost 15Krpm's on the clutch. The sled is in my pics.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Run all weekend on 1 belt. We run the used belts we race with to trail and they are fine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the day comes I need a new ATV and all are belt drive, thats the day I give up buying and riding ATV's
Given your stated riding practices, I doubt very much you will be around to see all ATV's as belt drives.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Range Rover

I guess i need to sell my Harley it is a belt drive 45 thousand for the bike and more HP then any quad will ever see.

I have no clue why anyone would put down a company that was the first to install a belt drive the first year it smoked that is ok something to make better the next year. Here is a good one for you Thomas Edison made the light bulb and a little kid said to him one day Hay Mr Edison how dose if feel to fail trying to invent the light bulb 972 time. Mr Edison say to the little boy I have not failed I can show you 972 way it will not work. Now is the glass 1/2 empty or 1/2 full ???
Let me know when you figure it out.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys know that moto is just sitting back and laughing about this. He's just pulling our chain for a chuckle.
Yes Honda doesn't have the features that most ATV's have, but not all are hydrostatic transmissions either. Mine has a torque converter and 3 speed automatic very similar to your car or truck. If and when it ever does go out. I'll rebuild it and won't come close to spending $1500. But thats just me. Not everyone can or will do that. I'm not a Honda loyalist. But I do like mine just the way it is.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

MotoF150 is a complete idiot.

But, all Honda transmissions are serviceable.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

No Honda uses a belt drive, the reason why Honda decided to go beltless is because Honda seen the problems with the Polaris belt drive. Polaris runs a single stage clutch with the belt drive that was copied from their snowmobile mentailty of the Co. The Japs, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki use a dual stage clutch on their belt drives causing the clutch to slip before the belt slips, the dual stage clutch system is only used on the bigger, high end quads like the Yamaha Grizzly. To you guys new to ATV's gather around children im going to tell you about the old days. In the old days when ATV's first came out all were gear drives, and nobody had a problem, Polaris only made snowmobiles, then Polaris made a ATV with a belt drive snowmobile engine it was made fun of, all the children called the Polaris names, they called it " The Belt Smoker", The Polaris ATV wanted to run with the other ATV's but the Polaris was left behind and couldn't run with them cause the belt would smoke. Big Boy Honda took a look at the Polaris and they said they will never, never, ever make any of their ATV's with a belt drive cause Honda wouldn't wanta be called names and made fun of and lose sales and market share and if they made belt smoker ATV's it would refect a bad reputation on the Co and they would lose car and motorcycle sales too. By The Way? Who is the leader in ATV sales? What ATV out-sales all other ATV's by 3 to 1?
To start with if your going to talk about the old days at least get it wright.Why if your going to BS us don't you get it wright in 1990 Polaris came out with a 350 two stroke 4x4 that had more power and traction than any Jap ATV until the 02 kawi Vee Twin. If you don't believe me check the sled pulling records after 1990 they had to have a class just for Jap ATVS because they couldn't compete. If you want to see the minty Honda in a pulling contest look at CAN Ams video.One more thing Kawis drive system is copy of the popos.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Range Rover

OUCH!!!!!
LOL

Old 11-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Pro Rider

Everytime, EVERYTIME I go out for a ride I always run into a belt drive atv with a belt slipping problem. I see it happen so many times that im amazed that nobody in this forum see it too or experienced a belt slipping problem with the belt drive atv they own. Maybe im missing something here, maybe its the rough and tough conditions we have around here to ride in where the belt drives can't handle it, maybe you guys in this forum ride ur belt drive atv in smooth, level, dry conditions, maybe the majority of the atv's around here are the older models of the belt drives and the last few years the belt drives have improved or changed. maybe its the guys around here don't do the proper maintenance on their atv that causes the belt to slip, like maybe the belt was worn out and they should have had a new belt installed. But! I know for a fact that the majority of the atv owners around here where I live will agree with me that any belt drive is a P.O.S. Can't I just get ONE person in this forum that agrees with me????

Old 11-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Range Rover

IF I AGREED WITH YOU WE WE'D BOTH BE WRONG

Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Everytime, EVERYTIME I go out for a ride I always run into a belt drive atv with a belt slipping problem....
Using your own logic:

Everytime I've gone out, I've seen someone stuck in the mud. Not one particular brand either. So, I guess all atv's should avoid the mud.

Honestly, what you're probably seeing is probably more related to proper maintenance by the rider than the machine. If you ignore stuff long enough, even a Honda will have problems. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: All Honda's Are Beltless