Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

All Honda's Are Beltless

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Honda's Are Beltless

[quote]
Originally posted by: MotoF150
us atv owners should all stand up and demand to all the manufactures that make atv's that we don't want belt drives! When we keep buying belt drives they think we like them and they build more and they disscontinue the gear drives with the belt drives, I fear the day is coming where all atv's will be belt drive and then we will be forced to buy them cause thats all you can get, its impossible to drive a 40 hp engine pulling around a 1/2 ton atv with a stupid rubber belt, it don't work, the only reason they make it with a belt is because it saves them money in manufacturing costs resulting in higher profits. If belt drives are so wonderful why don't they use them on cars, trucks, semi trucks and trains? THEY ARE SHOVING BELT DRIVES DOWN OUR THROATS AND WE MUST STAND UP AND BE UNITED AND SAY WE WON'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!![/ =========== Are you for real I would love to see you and your kid's ATV out in the deep snow.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, the truth of the matter is that lots of people buy belt drive ATV's because they DO like them.

Fortunately enough people buy manual shift quads because they like them that builders will make those, too.

Enough people also like autos without belts that the market has filled that need, too.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

are yall upset about the belt drives they are putting into the cars now

Old 11-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I think I've finally figured out MotoF150. I'm a bit slow I must admit for not clueing in faster, however. Quite simply put, he's a **** disturber. He'll think of a topic and rant about it in a completely insensible way that makes no sense to anyone (probably even himself).

In action, I propose that we do not respond to any posts he starts, or comment on any post he makes in response to an original thread, no matter how inflammatory his remarks may be.

That's just my .02 (plus tax as applicable)

Time to take out the trash, IMO.

Cheers

Old 11-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

us atv owners should all stand up and demand to all the manufactures that make atv's that we don't want belt drives! When we keep buying belt drives they think we like them and they build more and they disscontinue the gear drives with the belt drives, I fear the day is coming where all atv's will be belt drive and then we will be forced to buy them cause thats all you can get, its impossible to drive a 40 hp engine pulling around a 1/2 ton atv with a stupid rubber belt, it don't work, the only reason they make it with a belt is because it saves them money in manufacturing costs resulting in higher profits. If belt drives are so wonderful why don't they use them on cars, trucks, semi trucks and trains? THEY ARE SHOVING BELT DRIVES DOWN OUR THROATS AND WE MUST STAND UP AND BE UNITED AND SAY WE WON'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >

How is it impossible? How does it not work? I have a 700+ pound machine, with a belt, that is proof it gets around just as well, with no problems, and never a wet belt, with more than 40hp. MOST quads use a belt in the motor, and they all do just fine. On another note, I honestly think you might be a couple pages short of a book

Old 11-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I also agree on the last post.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

us atv owners should all stand up and demand to all the manufactures that make atv's that we don't want belt drives! When we keep buying belt drives they think we like them and they build more and they disscontinue the gear drives with the belt drives, I fear the day is coming where all atv's will be belt drive and then we will be forced to buy them cause thats all you can get, its impossible to drive a 40 hp engine pulling around a 1/2 ton atv with a stupid rubber belt, it don't work, the only reason they make it with a belt is because it saves them money in manufacturing costs resulting in higher profits. If belt drives are so wonderful why don't they use them on cars, trucks, semi trucks and trains? THEY ARE SHOVING BELT DRIVES DOWN OUR THROATS AND WE MUST STAND UP AND BE UNITED AND SAY WE WON'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!
Moto, once again you're WRONG. Snowmobiles put out way more power than 40hp using BELT DRIVEN transmissions.....TODAY!! They also weigh as much or more than a quad. And guess what? They will be using them on cars and trucks. Here is an article I found.......

Here's the rub: early belt-type CVTs could handle only a middling amount of engine torque -- limiting potential applications to sub-2L engines. But improvements in belt technology and electronic control enhancements have elevated belt-type CVTs to new horizons of larger-engine application.

At Ford Motor Co., for example, Walter K. Muench, principal research engineer-transmission and engine systems department, assures that Ford (with help from Van Doorne's) has a belt-type CVT capable of handling the torque of a stock Duratec 3L DOHC V-6 that develops 200 hp and 200 ft.-lbs. (271 Nm) of torque. Mr. Muench's "assurance" comes in the form of a Taurus CVT-motivated prototype he's happy to let you drive. It works marvelously.

He adds that CVTs can improve efficiency over 4-speed automatics by 15% to 20%, yet the CVT is simpler and costs less than adopting a 5-speed automatic to achieve similar gains.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:04 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not sure but i think honda made a CVT tranny in one of there cars.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

Honda makes a CVT (S matic) that you can shift or leave in vegetable mode. It doesn't suffer from the same performance limitations as today's typical CVT. I would have no problem buying an ATV with this type of CVT, but people that prefer the performance gained by shifting are rather limited in their choices of ATVs today. I have not met anyone that prefers a CVT, just people that do not mind enough to let it limit their choice of ATV.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

i prefer the CVT. there is no performance gain from shifting yourself. the CVT keeps the engine in it's powerband, not just passing through the powerband once for every gear.

try going up a hill through deep snow and shifting your gears. you will have to settle for a lower gear than the atv could pull.

i have both a manual and a CVT. i would happily ride either, but if i had my choice of either, i'd take CVT.

monty

Quick Reply: All Honda's Are Beltless