Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

All Honda's Are Beltless

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Honda's Are Beltless

Originally posted by: propnut

PS, my truck has a 5 speed. looked all over for 5 speed and rubber floor. it is a truck after all.
I'm with you there. People with trucks these days don't want trucks, they want cars with a box behind and 4x4.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:58 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally posted by: propnut
yes, I should have included other groups such as people that don't mind a simple CVT (unlike all the ones coming out in cars now). It sounds like you would prefer the one you have now to a modern CVT that you can choose auto or sport modes. But prefer a current ATV CVT for driving performance it not a valid argument. This was my point. Not to say that they suck, if you look back I do not trash talk it.

Why do all the most expensive Utilities use them?
please, margin - ever hear of that?

and you know they detuned the Maxima to use the CVT?

and I just cant get over that bulge from the belt case taking up my foot space.

PS, my truck has a 5 speed. looked all over for 5 speed and rubber floor. it is a truck after all.
You would have to look all over because 95% of all trucks are automatics.

Not sure what what you mean about sport mode on a Utility ATV? My friend,s new 06 500 Foreman is a shift ATV and when we have our little races he loses on the start, middle, finish and top end. I don't see where his shifting ever gives him a advantage in performance, he just has the extra chore of continually shifting all day long.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

What are the other bikes in the race aside from your 500HO? Honda utes were never really known for the speed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2006, 01:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
What are the other bikes in the race aside from your 500HO? Honda utes were never really known for the speed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I had a 450 Foreman and his new 500 Foreman definitely looks and rides goes more sporty than that model. Also I read a 500 Vinson comparison between the 5 speed and auto and the performance was the same.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Looks to me that today's ATV CVT is a low cost transmission for people that have no choice as their favorite ATV only has a CVT, lazy drivers, or people that don't know how to properly use a manual. You can't get an ATV with a CVT like cars right now. There is only one shift point with ATV CVTs, one mode. They are kind of rudimentry and simple, just like their performance. Have it your way, but don't twist the facts to justify your CVT.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>

Sounds like it dissapoints you that a CVT may outperform a manual ATV. Bummer

Old 11-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it dissapoints you that a CVT may outperform a manual ATV.
now why would I be disappointed? If the CVT worked the way I wanted I would have more options when buying an ATV, wouldn't I? There's a reason they are developings CVTs that can shift. I hope they make it to ATVs.

Just got back from a pretty good ride!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:47 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Except for Honda who has a shifting CVT? The 400 Rancher and Rubicon are the only CVT that can be put in shift mode but there Fully automatic hydromechanical, continuously variable, with electronic controls trannies are expensive,heavy and complicated. And neither ATV out performs a belt drive in anyway.

The belt system is light ,simple and cheap to rebuild(If need be) and can be clutch kitted to a persons performance needs. Forget about the" if they can hold up stuff",there just has been to many high horse powered sleds made for to long to even discuss that.

I would however like to be able to shift from high and low range on the fly.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

And neither ATV out performs a belt drive in anyway
you are easy. I did not want to turn this into a Hondamatic is better because...., but they are better at:
1. variable engine braking (the best engine braking too)
2. downshifting
3. short shifting to keep rpms low for low traction or low noise
4. maintainable ratio for tasks that require a steady and constant speed like fertilizing or aerating a lawn (constant throttle pressure rather than on and off due to always changing belt ratio)
5. mileage
6. FUN
7. maintenance - my transmission will last as long as my engine (and longer than yours) with simple oil changes.
8. Don't have to shift to low except for the most demanding towing situations. It is nice to use low (and ESP) for plowing (so I can shift when I want), but it is not necessary
9. And for the rock climbers, smooth engagement.
10. Acceleration (no overshift or backshifting issues and I am not talking about engine power)

Realize that I am not saying that the Hondamatic blows the belt away at these things, but has an advantage at these things.

I will say I am not surprised at certain brand owners counting on failure of the transmission into the cost equation, but not me.

expensive? $5500 new, of course they were trying to give away SP700s+gear for $5999, but please...
heavy? isn't that the pot calling the kettle black
complicated? poor boy - you have a fear of thinking? I bet you're afraid of fuel injection too

I can think of others, but this will do. I have MANY hours tuning CVTs, so I know what they are capable of and what their shortcomings are.

most of the belt CVTs I see in cars are shiftable. Demand MORE from your favorite ATV manufacturer.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That was a good OPINION. I say opinion because 99% of that list i say is easier on an Automatic

Old 11-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

99%. WOW. you can downshift? upshift? vary the the engine RPM by shifting? you really think the engine braking is better with a Kawasaki belt drive? (you've driven a few miles of tought trails on a Rubicon, right?). And you can vary the engine braking by shifting into one of the other 5 ratios, right? and of course, your CVT gets better mileage than a manual, right? You know you can maintain a steady speed without moving your thumb, because you do all those utility things like aerate and fertilize and because your belt CVT works different than every other one out there.....and you liked it better than the manual version of your ATV.....because you rode both to compare...and it's definately more fun letting it shift itself. hey, you know what, it must be even more fun to let it steer itself too. Maybe you should just let someone else ride it!!! That would be the most FUN!!!

Granted, it may be my opinion, but it is based more on fact and experience than your speculation or bias. at least I can admit when a feature on another ATV is better. I try not to post like this, but people like V2racer, where swamplites and 70 mph Arctic Cats (with racing spark plugs) are and have the best at everything are just irritating. Hopefully people can see through the lack of integrity with your posts. You bring nothing to the post but bravado or ego. You've probably got more posts than miles. You try to associate yourself as a winner or a man because of the quad you ride. It's really kind of sad.

Quick Reply: All Honda's Are Beltless