Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Any experience with 3 pt hitch + box scraper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006 | 03:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Any experience with 3 pt hitch + box scraper?

>Sandlapper:
>3-Point Trailer and weights are helpful with thear Box Scraper Blade and other attachments weight helps with bounceing.

Where did you get the weights? They appear to be some sort of standard tractor weight. Would the local Kubota dealer have them? They would probably be too expensive to ship.

As for DR, my wife mentioned she always thought their commercials were cheesy and sometimes that can translate to how the company operates, no doubt. Sort of like those "Head On" commercials.

Old 12-19-2006 | 04:26 PM
Range Rover

You might also take a look at the Kolpin Dirtworks system.

Old 12-19-2006 | 04:48 PM
Range Rover

I just added a picture showing my system with the rake, fold down blade and scarifier. This is what I found worked best at maintaining gravel roads. The idea behind it is you want to break up the gravel at the edge of the road and move it towards the center to fill pot holes and such. That is why being able to angle the blade/rake is important. With a box scraper you will have to carry the gravel into the road which will take longer. Also, without some sort of scarifier you will just pull the loose rocks without the dirt which makes it less likely the rocks will pack in place. I have demonstrated this system 6 times and sold 5 which will be delivered in the spring.

The scarifier also works well with the box scraper when spreading new gravel. It helps keep from pulling the rock away from the dirt so it won't pack. I spread 5 truck loads of gravel for a friend with this system. As best I remember it took between 6 and 7 hours to spread it. A truck load is equal to about 9 yards of gravel on average.

Old 12-19-2006 | 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by:
>Sandlapper:
>3-Point Trailer and weights are helpful with thear Box Scraper Blade and other attachments weight helps with bounceing.

Where did you get the weights? They appear to be some sort of Would the local Kubota dealer have them? They would probably be too expensive to ship.

As for DR, my wife mentioned she always thought their commercials were cheesy and sometimes that can translate to how the company operates, no doubt. Sort of like those "Head On" commercials.

Troutsqueezer
The 2 attachments i made a weight tray for block i think a standard tractor weight will work.

Old 12-20-2006 | 01:28 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

The Koplin Dirtworks systems looks well made for sure. I'm not seeing a scarifier setup on their site however. I have to agree with others that scarifier blades are a must.
Speaking of scarifier blades, I have to think that the Agri-Fab with just four scarifier blades might work better than a unit with more blades due to the fact that with an ATV the downward pressure will be limited. Four blades would have more pounds per square inch and dig in better than 8 or more if the soil is hard compacted.

Trailblazer, I agree that angling the blade is beneficial. Wish I could have it all, hence the desire for a Kubota. My wife thinks I will flip a tractor over since it's steep around here in some places. Ah, what can you do? Just curious: How much are you getting for your setup?

Old 12-20-2006 | 08:16 PM
Range Rover

What Agri Fab offers would be better described as rippers, not a scarifier. You don't want to rip up a gravel road unless you plan on hauling in new gravel. The scarifier should be set to only dig about 1/2" deep. That way you won't be pulling up your base material. If you were spreading new gravel with a box scraper the rippers would be nice in that they would break up the material as it entered the box scraper.

My system costs from $1500 on up depending on what implements a person wants. Currently I am offering a box scraper, S-tines, rake and scarifier.

Old 12-21-2006 | 01:34 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Trailblazer, what are the S-tines used for? I've noticed them and assumed they are for serious soil disruption. How would they differ from disks? Thx.

Old 12-23-2006 | 03:40 PM
Range Rover

Troutsqueezer, I don't have a good answer for your question. I have worked a fair amount of dirt but not for farming purposes. Maybe someone with a farming back ground could help. So far I haven't fit a set of discs to my system. I have used the S-tines quite a bit though, mainly to break up ground for gardens. I have also used them in my field, in the spring, to break up the top matting so the new growth can come through easier. For doing that I set the down pressure to the miminum setting so I am not digging in, just disrupting the top matting of dead grass.

Old 02-17-2007 | 01:33 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Update:
I ended up ordering the 3 point hitch and the grader blade with box scraper setup from Agri-Fab via Lowes Home Imrovement store. I figured if I didn't like it I could always return it to Lowes. I received it two weeks ago and put it together last weekend. As I assembled it, I was surprised at the high quality of the parts and the strength of the structure as a whole. The parts were very heavy and it took two people to hold them as it was assembled.

I was sure beforehand that I would need to track down some tractor weights to use with it but as it turns out, they were not necessary.
The first moment I lowered the box scraper to the gravel I could tell it was going to work wonderfully. The box dug into the gravel and scooped a swath down the center of the driveway and the Kodiak didn't even strain itself. Down the road some more and the scraper was leveling pure dirt along the sides of the road just as if I was driving a good-sized Kubota. The blade can also be angled to pull material from the side of the road to the middle. Since it had rained recently, I didn't even have to put down the scarifier blades to roughen up the surface although I am looking forward to doing just that when the road gets drier.

The 3 point hitch comes with a winch that raises and lowers the blade and that makes a big difference when I hit the rocky areas or want to make a smooth transistion when ending a pass.

I'm glad I didn't buy the DR setup now that I see what this Agri-Fab can do. I highly recommend this to anyone pondering a similar setup. No matter how I tried though, I could not get the final payout to be any less than about $1500 but considering what I have to pay a tractor operator over a span of years, this still comes out at a bargin, and it's fun, very fun.