Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Any experience with 3 pt hitch + box scraper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006 | 05:14 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Any experience with 3 pt hitch + box scraper?

Wondering if anyone on here has had experience using the Agri-Fab 3-point hitch system with the box scraper attachment. I'd like to find out how well it works before I kick in the money. I plan on using it to maintain about a quarter-mile dirt/gravel road. I'll be pulling it with a Kodiak 400 auto. Although it's two wheel drive, I plan on scraping while moving downhill, since the driveway is on a slope.

Maybe Swisher brand is better?

thx.

Old 12-13-2006 | 11:02 AM
Range Rover

I haven't used the Agri-Fab system as I built my own system. Take a look at my pictures and you will see what I did.

Whatever system you use plan on adding about 100 to 200 lbs of weight so it will cut. Of course that added weight makes it harder for the ATV to pull it but if you don't add the weight the implement will just bounce on top of the hard pack surface. My system was built to add the down pressure without adding the weight.

For maintaining gravel roads I use a rake with a fold down blade. If front of that I have a scarifier that breaks up the gravel so you can move it where you need it. I don't have a picture of that setup posted yet.

Old 12-13-2006 | 04:36 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

That looks nicer than the commercially available units. You obvioulsy have access to some nice metal-working tools. I built my own as well but wood construction just didn't hold up well for some reason. Nor did it do anything worthwhile. I immediately saw the need for lots of weight however.
The wife won't let me buy a Kobota which is what I really want but I think I can convince her to spend around 1500 for an ATV setup.

Old 12-14-2006 | 11:28 PM
Range Rover

Troutsqueezer,

First off, I can hardly type your name without laughing. Is there a story behind that? Okay, on topic now. You might look at the dr power grader (from the makers of the dr trimmer). I don't have any experience with them, but it looks like it would work for what you're talking about. Their website is http://www.drpower.com. Click on the dr grader link and you can read up on them.

toe

Old 12-15-2006 | 01:54 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

toe,

Thanks very much for pointing out the DR grader to me. I had no idea they made anything like that. It appears to be very well thought out and it's much cheaper than the Agri-fab setup. An added bonus is if I don't like it, it's returnable.

Troutsqueezer has been my moniker for about 30 years now. I started using it when the CB craze hit in the 70's. It does conjure up some pretty funny images, even to this day.

Old 12-16-2006 | 01:08 PM
Range Rover

I do not have personal experience so this information is second hand. Customer Service for the DR brand is non-existent. Good friend bought a DR "something" to work around the yard on his big place. It broke (first season of use) and he couldn't get them to do ANYTHING. Finally hauled it to the trash. He's so angry about the entire matter he just goes high order at the mention of it. He's a decent guy and I've known him forever so to see him this angry is very surprising. FYI and like I said, I have no personal experience. Forewarned is forearmed. Do your homework before laying out your dollars.

Old 12-18-2006 | 03:48 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

That's interesting. I sent an email to DR, told them I was interested in buying their grader and also mentioned your post to them and asked if they had any response. Evidently they don't, since I haven't heard a thing from them. That's enough for me. I'm back to the Agri-Fab unit. It looks more like a standard tractor/box scraper set up anyway and I know that system works.

Old 12-19-2006 | 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have one but it is home made and it works grate. As long as you go foward it takes about 75%of the streas of my 250 cat. And most cat 1 Tractor farm setup 48to60" 3 point attachments works.

3-Point Trailer and weights are helpful with thear Box Scraper Blade and other attachments weight helps with bounceing.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2006 | 01:08 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Troutsqueezer
That's interesting. I sent an email to DR, told them I was interested in buying their grader and also mentioned your post to them and asked if they had any response. Evidently they don't, since I haven't heard a thing from them. That's enough for me. I'm back to the Agri-Fab unit. It looks more like a standard tractor/box scraper set up anyway and I know that system works.
Wow! I'm kinda surprised about that. I always thought the DR company had quality stuff and figured they would stand behind their product. Evidently not. I'm glad to know that for future reference. Good luck!

toe

Old 12-19-2006 | 02:00 PM
Range Rover

Since I posted my original comment about DR I called my friend and asked more about it. He indicated it's his understanding when "improvements" are made to a specific model, all support for the previous model of the same item is stopped. I noted improvements are usually small each year, not a total makeover. He said he believed that too, but still couldn't get DR to respond. I just don't understand a company's attitude about that sort of thing. Most of us will bend over backwards if we receive good service. By way of personal experience - a number of years ago I lived in the south (read Hot). I had a couple of Mag Lights with Eveready batteries. The batteries in the one I kept in the truck expanded and ruined the light. I figured "my bad" because of the heat. Second light did the same within one month. I wrote the company and explained what happened. I DID NOT ask for ANYTHING. Their PR people wrote me back and said before they could replace the flashlight they needed to have it in their hands. They accused me of LYING. I wrote them back and told them I had not asked for anything and didn't like being accused of lying. Furthermore I told them I was going to go through the house and throw away every Eveready (kids and their electronic stuff take a lot of batteries) in the house and would never buy another. That was 10 years ago and to this day there is not one Eveready battery in my house, nor will there ever be. Now, think about this. How much does it cost them to run ONE bunny commercial on TV? Enough so that they could send EVERYONE in one year having an issue with their batteries a pair of the proper cell type batteries and a mea culpa. Just think of the PR they would gain and ultimately how it would benefit their company and stockholders. I just don't understand it and DR is not making friends by treating it's customers this way.

Quick Reply: Any experience with 3 pt hitch + box scraper?