Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Do I really need EFI ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Do I really need EFI ??

The EFI found in todays quads is rude and crude compared to todays automobiles. It doesn't even measure up to the EFI systems found in mid to late 80's automobiles. EFI in quads is coming along, but the pace of current technology is frustrating for me. When atv manufacturers finally figure out how to incorporate an oxygen sensor and therefore go to a closed loop system, I'll show some interest. Until then, EFI quads hold no interest for me.

Old 02-02-2007 | 01:03 AM
Range Rover

Wolvydude, it's not the technology, because the technology is there. It's about money. Mfgrs are currently bumping up against what they believe the customer is willing to pay for their high end machines. I agree, EFI as is currently installed on our ATVs, is very crude. Most don't even have a barometric sensor for altitude, instead just relying on a broad based "map." Installing the nice to have features, including a Lamda system as you suggest would drive the cost way up and beyond what enough people are willing to pay to make the investment profitable. I'd like to believe I'm optimistic, and we'll see much greater technology installed in the not-to-distant future, and that too will trickle down to mid-level machines, not just the big, high end machines. Some of that technology will be mandated by gov't regulations which are already beginning to be seen.

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

well maybe the yamahas dont have value for the efi but most of the polaris ones work well for the cold weather starting. and jetting is kind of a pain if you go alot of high alttuide and sea level riding. i think the efi is going to be the norm for the future of all atv and sleds and do away w/ the carb as they do on cars. but im sure it'll be awhile.

Old 02-02-2007 | 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know about yamaha's efi but, my sportsman efi is the best starting machine I've ever seen in the cold ( I think the coldest was around -15). Started right up as soon as I turned the key. I've heard nothing but the same for suzuki and AC's. Sorry to hear that yamaha kind of failed in that department.

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yamaha failed big time!

Old 02-02-2007 | 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Huh! You're the first one that has complained about the new Grizz. I guess that would be a big complaint though if it won't start when cold (not having a choke and all).

Old 02-02-2007 | 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

I live in cold MN with extreme temp changes through the year 90f in the summer and -15 today

EFI is wonderful for this. my SP500EFI works great in the bitter cold.
I wouldn't get another non EFI atv at this point.

Old 02-02-2007 | 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: zorro700
Huh! You're the first one that has complained about the new Grizz. I guess that would be a big complaint though if it won't start when cold (not having a choke and all).
HUH???

Old 02-02-2007 | 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Wolvydude
The EFI found in todays quads is rude and crude compared to todays automobiles. It doesn't even measure up to the EFI systems found in mid to late 80's automobiles. EFI in quads is coming along, but the pace of current technology is frustrating for me. When atv manufacturers finally figure out how to incorporate an oxygen sensor and therefore go to a closed loop system, I'll show some interest. Until then, EFI quads hold no interest for me.

yamaha has an oxygen sensor on theirs... Infact... I want to say they have the most sensors out of any efi'd quad out... (for some reason I want to say I read 6... but I'm still looking for it on the net.)

Whether or not we can blame the "cold start" issues on the efi has yet to be seen... Has anyone proved it yet?

Old 02-02-2007 | 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JimJa
Wolvydude, it's not the technology, because the technology is there. It's about money. Mfgrs are currently bumping up against what they believe the customer is willing to pay for their high end machines. I agree, EFI as is currently installed on our ATVs, is very crude. Most don't even have a barometric sensor for altitude, instead just relying on a broad based "map." Installing the nice to have features, including a Lamda system as you suggest would drive the cost way up and beyond what enough people are willing to pay to make the investment profitable. I'd like to believe I'm optimistic, and we'll see much greater technology installed in the not-to-distant future, and that too will trickle down to mid-level machines, not just the big, high end machines. Some of that technology will be mandated by gov't regulations which are already beginning to be seen.
Yeah, I know the technology is available. In fact it's been available for so long it is considered old technology. That was the point of my post. I agree that cost is the issue. But I for one would pay the extra for a closed loop/lamda system and the performance/driveability/tuning capabilities it would offer over the current open loop systems on quads today. The watered-down, light beer version of EFI currently offered does nothing but make me shake my head when I look at what is and think of what could be. I can't get excited about an EFI system that uses 20-30 year old technology and is then marketed as "new" and/or "high tech". Again, I'm sure cost is the main issue.

I'm a huge fan of EFI by the way. I prefer it in everything I own. So nobody needs to think I'm attacking EFI in quads out of spite. I just want a better system than what is currently being offered to us, thats all. Then again, maybe the current system is just fine for it's stated purpose and I'm over-thinking the issue. It wouldn't be the first time...