Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Do I really need EFI ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007 | 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Do I really need EFI ??

[i]Originally posted by: Hebs

Whether or not we can blame the "cold start" issues on the efi has yet to be seen... Has anyone proved it yet?
The only "proof" I have is that our three prior carburated Grizzly 660s started great in cold weather, but the fuel injected Grizzly 700 wont start at all if temps are below 10 degrees.

Old 02-02-2007 | 04:22 PM
Range Rover

Of course we're both right. I too am a big EFI fan. I really like to watch people demographics. I'm also interested in money (are not we all). I retired at 53 and do not work. When I watch this and other forums one thing is clear... There are a lot of people out there that want the biggest and baddest machine so they can tell everyone on their forum about it. Call it acceptance, call it whatever. None the less, I do not believe toys should be bought with borrowed money. In retirement, it's not how much money you make, it's reducing your overhead and if you've got lots of bills to pay you are going to work for a long, long time. And just as I was never suppose to get gray and old, everyone reading this is going to be exactly the same. I asked the local AC dealer here in San Diego what percentage of his buyers buy on time. He said about 75-80% (same for cars) the rest pay cash. He said if he sees a young adult come in by himself chances are he will not qualify for the loan, he's too leveraged already. If two guys come in, they will, because one is the dad and will co-sign. Very, very few of that 75-80% care what the machine costs, only about their monthly payments. So, your point about cost is well taken. People will find away to buy a machine regardless of cost - or at least enough of them will to keep everyone in between happy. From that stand point there is money to be made on high end big bore EFI machines. How high is the question. You can bet the mfgrs are watching closely, trying to balance how far they think they can go, with gov't regulations, liability issues, and how far the ATV market can expand. There is actually quite a bit of engineering in one of these machines, the profit margin is pretty slim. For example, I suspect AC and probably Can-Am are financing their ATVs with their other more profitable lines (sleds, boats, etc). The ATV market has expanded a great deal recently and mfgrs have invested a lot of money. How much more do they think they can do and still make the bottom line. They are watching closely and I should think a more refined EFI system is certainly in the works. Perhaps the EFIs that exist now will remain on the smaller units and more encompassing EFI units will be available for those willing to pay more. Just my 50 cents worth of blah, blah.

Old 02-02-2007 | 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

If the profit margins are so little on an ATV that lists for $8,500 and they sell it for $7,500, how can a car/truck manufacture sell a V-8 4x4 that lists for $36,000 at $22,500 and still make money. My truck was only 3x the price of my quad but its has 10x the engineering, resources, and raw material in it. Not to mention the dealer networks for autos and manufacturing facilities.

My polaris 800 has alot of the same features and enginnering involved with it as the 1996 500.

Just a thought.

Old 02-02-2007 | 05:31 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I for one am not buying another ATV without EFI.

That is a good price on the AC though. If you hold off they will have a 450 EFI out this summer/fall.

Old 02-02-2007 | 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DesertViper
[i]Originally posted by: Hebs

Whether or not we can blame the "cold start" issues on the efi has yet to be seen... Has anyone proved it yet?
The only "proof" I have is that our three prior carburated Grizzly 660s started great in cold weather, but the fuel injected Grizzly 700 wont start at all if temps are below 10 degrees.
I've had starting issues with my older 660's... course... it was a valve adjustment that fixed the issue...

Also... just an fyi... I've had the "cold start" issue, and it was only about 50 degrees out. I'm just not convinced it's the cold weather itself... It could be a combination of things...

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 06 kodiak 450 obviosly no EFI but according to your post it seems like your into 400cc utility quads. i enjoy the kodiak but i don't think they make those anymore i think it's the yamaha big bear. if your looking for tons of torque and power this is the quad. it's not that fast though but i have no problem hitting 40 and above with it. not sure what the top speed is but it seems like everytime i hit 40 with it and then i slow down it backfires sounding like a gun shot. the polaris also makes a mean utility quad. i hear they are coming out with a 450 EFI this summer. i am not sure which company but maybe you should hold off until then.

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

The kodiak 450 is now the grizzly 450. Same machine, new name.

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

just a weird thought(i really dont know) but i wonder if the condtions(mud,water,dirt) has any thing to do w/ the pacific efi systems they use on the atvs or maybe the better sysytems wont work under these condtions??

Old 02-03-2007 | 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

i would love an EFI system on my brute that did everything EFI is supposed to do, along with a USB plug-in to allow custom tuning and troubleshooting.

but, i'd rather run carbs than the EFI systems we have available to us right now. these will improve over time, so mebbe soon...

monty

Old 02-07-2007 | 11:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally posted by: trailbound
The kodiak 450 is now the grizzly 450. Same machine, new name.
Same as the 350 bruin is a 350 Grizzly now. As for the question ,I had great running carberated Sled and bikes for years so EFI would be no big deal for me.
If however I lived in a part of the country with high mountain roads EFI would be the way to go(no rejetting needed).
Cold weather is no big deal I,m running around on -20c/ 2 below zero without a proplem right now.