Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris AWD system rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris AWD system rant

Sorry if I was hard on Polaris its just that I have seen to many beginners get in trouble with them coming down hill with them. I have ridden the 700 Grizz and really like the PS in the rocks.I think that it is a big improvement over the 660 in performance as well.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: brpbear
Sorry if I was hard on Polaris its just that I have seen to many beginners get in trouble with them coming down hill with them. I have ridden the 700 Grizz and really like the PS in the rocks.I think that it is a big improvement over the 660 in performance as well.
I think them people are prolly the same kinda people that will slam on their brakes on a steep down hill in their car when its icey and slide off the road and the same people who approach a long 10% + grade in the same icey conditions goin 5mph and get stuck on the hill when the road is straight as an arrow and there is a half mile flat run before the hill. people who panic and lack the "tools" for the situation will always fock up.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I don,t know about the power steering thing, I just never realized a ATV ever was hard to steer. Sounds like a sales idea or for people with giant tire or those snow track set ups.

I have a 06 outty with 5200miles that I'm real happy with.If you have a 06 Polaris that has less miles and you want to trade it. You answered the reliability question your self.
LOL I know people who trade the snow machines in every year just because it does not match there new snow suit,not because the machine was unreliable.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

Cuppla comments...

Power Steering. TLC, you asked, why do you need power steering. It's a very nice feature in two areas 1) for kick-back while riding in difficult terrain over ruts and rocks, and 2) when your machine has true 4x4. IOW, you are in 4-wheel high or low, and the front axle is locked side to side. It will wear you out in short order in rough terrain. An real bear to steer.

V2 rider. I believe the Visco Lock was designed for the average rider under normal conditions. It's designed for seamless engagement for the average guy. It's just a limited slip like your truck or car anyway. There are a lot of extreme riders that read this forum and it certainly not the best for them. I consider myself an experienced rider, not extreme or expert, and I push the envelope, but don't go crazy. I'd rather rock crawl or do technical than blast down trails. Vicso Lock is okay for me although I much prefer a full lock front axle (side to side lock) like my AC.

You folks that have the Polaris' and like their AWD system I'd like you to try this test. Please don't go off on me, because there is a lot of tit for tat arguments here ranging from Polaris is junk, to all others are junk and misunderstanding of what those of us without the Polaris AWD system are trying to say. We all love what we drive and that's great, but try this... Find a significant hill that has is slippery with dirt, mud, or rocks. Take your Polaris and I'll take either my OL or AC (for this I actually prefer the AC), engage 4x4/AWD and low range. Next go down the hill... HANDS OFF - no throttle or brake(s). When it comes to hill decent, that's what those with a positive mechanical connection front to rear are talking about.

TLC, great comment about the snowmobile vs. new suits. I'm pretty sure I've seen it too. Got a real yuk out of you comment.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

JimJa your entitled to your view as much as anybody and I'm not going to do any tit for tat like you mention. I don't think my popo behaves perfectly in all situations. I'm trying to think back on something that would be relevant to the discussion here.

There was a hill that I went down last year that was so steep, I had to have a rider stand on my trailer ball to keep my back end down. It was really nasty. However, this was also during the summer, and frankly I didn't need four wheel drive. I did go down the hill in low. It did have a lot of loose gravel on it. I don't recall having a problem really. But I'm sure I used my brakes a bit. It wasn't like I was riding on shale or anything. Now had I not had a rider to stand on my trailer ball, I would have been freaked out for sure. Not because I had any problems stopping or any of that. But because I think i would have flipped. Thats more a center of gravity issue though and really doesn't relate to what you are talking about.

I don't claim the popo is the best. I don't know what is the best as I haven't rode them all. But I do know that a lot of the popo bashing is just BS. Period. I really don't care if people agree or don't. It's like V2Rider. That man is a AC devotee. Period. He loves that green machine and it doesn't matter who comes and puts it down. He still walks away happy. So...AC must have done something right. A smart person can see that. The dumb ones keep coming back trying to convince him AC sucks.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Range Rover

"There was a hill that I went down last year that was so steep, I had to have a rider stand on my trailer ball to keep my back end down."

Whoa! I confess, I've never been down a hill that steep... oh, wait a minute a year ago I went down a short hill that was. Flipped a 500 AC $$s over teakettle - mine. I bailed, the bike went over, I rode it home and went to a party that night. But a big hill like that, nope, never done it. Besides most of my friends would rather let me flip than ride the trailer ball just to be able to give me a hard time about it later.

"I don't claim the popo is the best. I don't know what is the best as I haven't rode them all. But I do know that a lot of the popo bashing is just BS. Period. I really don't care if people agree or don't. It's like V2Rider. That man is a AC devotee. Period. He loves that green machine and it doesn't matter who comes and puts it down. He still walks away happy. So...AC must have done something right."

Most excellent point and I couldn't agree more. We're all here to have fun, learn about various machines and if we're lucky on the trail, pull out the other guy and give him a hard time about his machine until the next time... when we get stuck and It's our turn in the barrel.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

JimJa-interesting scenario on the down hill descent. I think it boils down to experience for the most part. I know you were creating a potentially dangerous situation to the rear EBS, but when do we ever ride without throttle or brakes? Any steep descent on any ATV is potentially dangerous. Experience keeps you upright. Would be sort of like a controlled test. You could compare to Polaris' AWD test-with three wheels spinning-throttle only, no levers. Or Can AM drag racing. All machines have pluses and minuses. People need to learn and familiarize themselves with them. Have fun and keep the rubber down. I ride with an AC, he loves it. Also with Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi. Haven't with a Can Am yet. Guess I'm saying, I have never had a problem with steep descents anymore than the other machines I ride with. Might have to throttle a bit and immediate brakes, but no problems yet. Enjoy what you choose, have fun.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's like V2Rider. That man is a AC devotee. Period. He loves that green machine and it doesn't matter who comes and puts it down. He still walks away happy. So...AC must have done something right. A smart person can see that. The dumb ones keep coming back trying to convince him AC sucks.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

The AC 700efi sure is tempting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: outside2day
JimJa-interesting scenario on the down hill descent. I think it boils down to experience for the most part. I know you were creating a potentially dangerous situation to the rear EBS, but when do we ever ride without throttle or brakes? Any steep descent on any ATV is potentially dangerous. Experience keeps you upright. Would be sort of like a controlled test. You could compare to Polaris' AWD test-with three wheels spinning-throttle only, no levers. Or Can AM drag racing. All machines have pluses and minuses. People need to learn and familiarize themselves with them. Have fun and keep the rubber down. I ride with an AC, he loves it. Also with Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi. Haven't with a Can Am yet. Guess I'm saying, I have never had a problem with steep descents anymore than the other machines I ride with. Might have to throttle a bit and immediate brakes, but no problems yet. Enjoy what you choose, have fun.
As a X Polaris owner I don't like coming down steep hills on a Polaris. Theirs an old saying what goes up must come down.You can say what you what but that is their weak piont and a lot of people have lost control going down hill on them.When it comes to going down a steep hill if they had a split brake system you could control them.

Quick Reply: Polaris AWD system rant