Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Steel vs Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel vs Aluminum Wheels

Which do you guys like for serious off road riding?
Aluminum looks nice but can break.
Steel doesn't look as nice but can be hammered back into shape in a pinch.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran fancy aluminum for years on my utes, and it forced me to be to carefull. Recently went back to the old stock steel rims and stock tires, and I'm having a lot more fun and doing a lot more nasty stuff because I'm not worried about dinging the nice rims.

I would however like to find some basic aluminum rims with a strong rolled lip like come stock on most sport quads. They are reasonably strong, and would be a nice compromise between fancey mag wheels and heavy steel.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Range Rover

The new ITP SS series of "fancy" aluminum rims come with a lifetime warranty. You bend or break... you get new for free!!!They are great looking wheels, a little pricey I know. The black with about 8 spokes would look awesome on a blue Grizzly don't you think? My neighbor does some powder coating on sprint car parts. He wanted to powder coat my ITP type 5's. It is tempting. I asked him what if the powder coat comes off, he said just sand blast again and re-powdercoat.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to do powder coating and you don't just sand blast it off ,that is why it's so good because it bakes into the surface of the metel ,so the chance of chipping or flakeing are almost nonexistance .

Old 03-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have to admit I'm a little more careful with my aluminum wheels versus my steel stockers. My DNA aluminum wheels have some pretty serious battle scars on them, they've held up extremely well. My black type 7's have no serious battle scars on them yet, I kinda dread the day it happens (and it will happen, sooner than later). There might be tears...

Old 03-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

I think the maxis lites are aluminum with a rolled bead.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

I agree it is very tough. They have their chassis powder coated every year. It holds up extremely well. I have not heard of bent aluminum wheel on a ute, but many on sport quads. I bent the edges of my stock steel wheels on my Kodiak, but never caused any problems. The advantage of aluminum is they are lighter, similar in strength, IMO.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

Steelies all the way. The squirrels don't care what kinda rims you're ridin' on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Aluminum is lighter and def. nicer... to help protect them, get a bigger/wider tire.

Steel there is no worries, just a little heavier thats all

Old 03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

I like the aluminum, b/c about 5 lbs lighter, I am running 45lb tires and needed to save a little rotating mass. Even though my Mudzilla's have rim guards, the edge is scuffed all the way around on all 4. Apperantly I ride too hard, atleast that is what my dealer thinks. They think you should ride around the back yard or something. I only ride once a month. If I rode more I'd destroy a quad in 2 years! These things aren't that tough, or I am too hardcore(which I doubt)

Quick Reply: Steel vs Aluminum Wheels