Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Steel vs Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steel vs Aluminum Wheels

Originally posted by: captainskodiak
I haven't seen a crash where only the wheels was bent so bad that it was unrideable, and there wasn't something else that prevented it from being ridden. Like driver injury, or bent/broke suspension pieces, or god forbid a broken chassis. Seen some pretty severly bent wheels on the trail. But they usually will still hold air, maybe a little wobbly but still go. I think aluminum will still hammer back in to shape to get you back. I run the ITP Type 5's because I got a deal on ebay, $270 for the wheels and 26" Mudlite XL's. I would be on the factory wheels if I didn't have them. The aluminum are VERY PRICEY these days. About as cheap to put a set on my fullsize Durango than my Grizzly.
becareful trying to bend the alum. rims back into shape as you can crack them fairly easy. trust me on that one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do alot of rocky trails and my steel rims suffered pretty bad and I spent alot of time hammering and putting air in the tires. Now I run the ITP series 5b rock crusher rims and they take a good beating. So far I have a scratch on one but I am probably a little more self concious about tearing up a set of expensive rims than I would be running steel. I always take a spare front and rear tire and rim with me just in case, but again the ITP's are doing all I need them to do. It helps if you have a good tire with a bead guard.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a Rhino to race in the local desert race series. I'm too cheap with the Rhino to spend money on high dollar wheels for everyday use, so I'll just use the stock steel wheels. They bend like a tin can if you hit a rock at speed though, so for racing, when I need relilable equipment I plan on using a set of aluminum OMF beadlocks. Here's a picture of them OMF BEADLOCKS. They are much stronger than the stock steel wheels.