Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

06 Kodiak 450 Need Advise on Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Kodiak 450 Need Advise on Upgrades

It is much more stable than stock and yesterday was the first day I had them out. The reason for the Swamplites was for the heighth and it did it's job. My friend on a Foreman got stuck in a mudhole that I walked thru. Felt good. They are the 6+1 offset and there wasn't any mud on my back (due to the tires anyway).
You might be able to find a big wheel kit somewhere but I ordered them seperately. The tires I got from Mudthrowers.com for $285 and the wheels from onoffroad.com for $275. Those prices are with shipping.
On a customer service note. When I ordered the tires I received one with a weird tread pattern and after e-mailing them they sent me a new set of tires and they will handle the shipping for the returned pair. Good company.
If you get the tires I'd suggest an EPI clutch kit to help with low end grunt for the added traction and weight.
Hope this helps and post those pics when it's done!
Buck

Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

06redkodiak450

Yeah, I just put the 26 dirt tamers on my stock rims, with 1 and half in spacers. Love the feel. Just got back from a long weekend in Moab, Utah riding on them. They are great tires. They did everything I hoped they would. Over hells revenge on the slick rock they really stuck, going through the sand trails of 7 mile rim they tore it up, and through the streams and mud of kane creek they cleaned out great. I'll get some pic's of the trip and my wheeler on here asap. My buddy also has dirt tamers on his Brute force 650i and He's just as pleased as I am.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Buck, Sounds Great! The wheels really look good! I just ordered the power tip (endcap) that Squeege sent me the link for. It sounds like a good deal for now. I am thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust after the tires, jet kit and air filter but this sounds like it'll help in the mean time.
Hey whats the pricipal behind the EPI clutch kit? How is it getting more low end grunt? does the clutch kick in at higher RPM's?
I tried to put some stock pictures on my profile page but it said the file was too large. Have any of you guys had that problem?

Hey KodieSE8...lookin forward to some cool picks!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Learn how to use the search feature(It should have how to post pictures). I use a program called irfanview to edit picture(jpeg) size, but others are just opening the pictures in Microsoft paint(comes on most computers) to downsize the image.

Those wheels are really nice! Now I'm wondering if I should switch.....

Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Buck, couple of questions....
Hansome boy! How old is he? I have a son 15 and a daughter 13 and have pics of them when they were little all the way to now on the 4 wheelers. Its great!
What size tires did you have on the fr and rr of the 05 rims?
What did you do with that set?
Both sets look great!
Is the stance definately wider that stock with the ss106. Im lookin at your pics and comparing to my stock set and they look about the same in width or how far out they sit.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

First off, I have always been a Yamaha guy but when I had been riding in mud with Foremans They made it and I didn't with my 01 Kodiak so after studying the 450 Kodiak and Vinson I bought the Kodiak. First thing I did was install c5ITP's and 25" Mudlite XL's. Well...I STIlLL kept getting stuck. The wheels and tires gave the bike a real wide and stable stance but by doing that it seemed to lower the bike due to the fact the shocks weren't as vertical. Also thanks to posts on here I found not all tires measure true. My 25" tires were 22 1/2" tall. So for my next tires I did a lot of research and (Thanks to many people on this forum) I decided on the 26" Swamplites. A TRUE 26" which gave me the added heighth I needed but I put them on stock rims because being tired of the mud all the time. Second time out I roled the 450 because I was so used to the wider stance so I knew I needed something. I checked ALL the ATV wheel websites and found those ITP ss106 rims. After last weekends' ride it seems I found a good balance between ground clearance and good stability not to mention the fact I won't let my buddies forget I walked thru where they couldn't on their Foremans.
As far as my old set of c5's, I sold them to a guy with a 06 Brute Force.
My boy is 6 and just getting into riding with us. Hopefully this year we get out of state on a nice camping/ATV trip (Windrock or Hatfield-McCoy).
I know it was long winded above but I just wanted you to know there is a balance between the wide stance and ground clearance and I'm finally happy with my Kodiak. My 26x9x12 on the front and 26x10x12 on the rear is just right. As far as the width, it sits 2" wider total.
Buck

Old 04-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hy Buck! Thanks for the quick reply! I dont mind "long winded" because I dont want to do ths twice! Its great to pic peoples brains and be able to learn from other peoples experiences. Thanks for the feed back its appreciated!
I started my order the other night on Trax motorsports. I'll probably be sending it next week. I agree completly there is a fine line or balance between the width and height and stance. No doubt! I am sold on the SS106 and the swamp lites. I just wated to be sure I would be a little wider than I am now for stability reasons. You what's funny you can see even in the pictures that the swamp lites are taller (truer to size in height) than the mudlites. the midlites almost look like low profile in comparison to the swamplites.

Well, the bikes are loaded now on my trailer. I took today off to go up to hunting camp with my son for a work weekend and do some riding. (Livingston Mnor NY) I'm outa here at 3 today and can't wait to get on the bike. I bought my son an 06 raptor 350 in November. He loves it! I still have a 99 Suzuki LTF160 and a 95 Kodiak Lokota 300 that I will be selling. I bought them when the kids were little and now they are in the shed not used. We are looking to get the Yamaha 450 Wolverine as the 3rd bike for the family (and me). I got pics but have to figure out reducing the size so the site will accept them. Great talkin with you! Lots of good info ! ! !

Angelo

Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will love the Wolverine 450, I wouldnt want any other quad personnally.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey red,

posted a couple of pics with the dirt tamers on. Really makes the kodiak look better with after market tires on...

Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well Guys! After much thought and LOTS of GREAT info from everyone, I made my purchases and HOOKED up the Kodiak.

I went with the ITP Type 5 Rims with Swamplites (26-9-12 fr 26-10-12 rr) K&N airfilter w/Outers prefilter, Dynojet kit, HMF exhaust, overfenders and a gunrack. I posted some pics. The bike looks, sounds and runs great!
I know that so many guys had said to go with the ss106 rim but I just loved the look of the Type 5 and really wanted to improve the tippy feeling or I was gonna sell the bike. Haven't had the chance to go upstate yet and getter out in the trails. I think we're headin up for fathers day weekend. I'll let ya know how it goes. I also installed the same performance mods (except the rims/tires) on my sons Raptor 350. He's siked!

Thanks again to everyone for the GREAT info!

Quick Reply: 06 Kodiak 450 Need Advise on Upgrades