Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Newbie Side by Side Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007 | 11:07 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie Side by Side Q's

Background: Buddy has Rhino and I love it. I have a few Q's before I take the plunge. Please offer any ideas, comments, etc.

Where I'll go: Mostly trail riding - some smooth most not even made yet. Will need to get through 12 inch mud, over 12 inch diameter trees. I do want a side by side as I may put on extra seats to ride 4 people (have 3 young kids).

1) Brand: I like the Rhino a lot but it's the only one I have rode. Seems from my onlione research this will be the best option for general trail and utility needs. Ground clearance is important (may even lift the stock unit). Can anyone share pro's cons' of the Rhino and the others?

2) Engize size: About $1,000 - $1,500 gets you from a 450 to 660 in the Yamaha. Can anyone testify that either is better, worth it, maybe the 660 is not needed. I will not need flat out speed - more concerned about power up hill, agility and power to potentially carry 4 people.

3) New Vs Used: I have not been able to find a dealer in my area with a used Rhino (have not looked at the other sxs). Seems on Ebay the units hold their value very well. I'm assuming it's not worth saving a couple thousand to get a unit a couple years old with somewhat unknown history - can anyone testify to this? Issue with online sales is they are never close to home.

4) I have read the that Rhino may have EFI, power steering and more power for 2008 models. Are these really worth whatever the premium may be for them (I'd guess about $1,000)? If the 2008s do change maybe I can pick up a 2007 for a discount (I'm guessing 15% or so off sticker).

5) Has anyone added the extra seats to the Rhino or any other side by side? I have never rode one with the extra seats and I want to be sure the stability does not change. Seems like the extra seats are set a but high and the roll bar added must be heavy - this scares me a bit since I have not experienced it first hand.

6) What extras does everyone reccommend? My first mod would be a winch, and also some sort of doors to keep the legs in. What else would anyone add to any side by side?

Again all comments are welcome on brand, size, new/used, mods, etc.

Old 06-25-2007 | 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Rhino 660s certainly don't have too much power. So I personally would not buy a 450 if you are contemplating building a four seater. Thats just too much weight and too little motor for me. Having owned both a Grizzly 660 and a Grizzly 700 I don't think the extra power from the 700, or the fuel injection, are worth waiting for. I didn't wait, I bought an '07 Rhino. The power steering might be worth waiting for, it depends on what the extra cost is. If I were to wait for an '08 I would seriously look at the Kawasaki 750 v-twin side by side over a Rhino 700 (assuming Yamaha does go with the 700 next year). I've owned Polaris ATVs before, and Polaris reliability scares me too much to consider a Ranger or Razr.

Safety items are worthwhile initial mods. Offset wheels for a more stable stance, leg minders, and harnesses are all worth the money. An aftermarket CDI from Dynatek is a great mod when it comes to bang for the buck as well.

DV

Old 06-27-2007 | 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Extras, I'd get a grizzly cdi
skid plates
2" lift kit
28" tires (zillas seem to work really well... )

Old 07-06-2007 | 04:13 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Bump and another question:

The Prowler has a base model and the XT. The base model does not have a locking differential option. Any comment on this? My concern would be getting through mud w/o the lock. To me that's the biggest difference between the base and the XT - i don't care about the shiny wheels.

Old 07-06-2007 | 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Have you looked at the Ranger XP? Allready has seating for 3, bigger bed, plenty of power and ground clearance. Plus having EFI helps with altitude changes and temps. Tons of storage to.

Old 07-09-2007 | 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

atv magazine just labeled the prowler the best UTV. the prowler will offer you 13" of GC stock. the ride is beautiful on them. if anything id toss on a set of ITP Mudlite XTRs or Terracross tires. Vs the Rhino and the Ranger i would definately put the Prowler on top. Prices of the Prowlers are:

07 reg - $8,400
07 XT - $9,000

'08 XT - $9,500
'08 XTX (700 EFI H1 engine, plus they moved the top speed to around 55-60 on the '08 models) - $10,000

Old 07-09-2007 | 11:49 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

acpower - why would you put the prowler on top? i'd like to know what you think and why. i did drive the prowler for a while and i like a few things about it but also disliked a few things.

Old 07-09-2007 | 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

heres a link to my website with a ton of info on the 08 model:
Arctic Cat Prowler

let me start by saying the 13" ground clearance/10" suspension travel are a huge plus on the AC. the bucket seats vs the bench seat of a polaris. the rasing of the top speed to compete with the Polaris RZR. EFI. Easier to get into in 08 with redesigned armrests. relocation of intake and enhanced exhaust to lower Dbs of ride. the gas pedal supports that are pointed out in the Rhino video have been improved and dont go from side to side anymore. bucket seats moved towards center for better erganomics. rubber coating on tailgate latch to reduce vibration. turf saver lets the rear tires spin at different speeds so you dont tear up your grass. hemi engine for better combustion. the 650 H1 and 700 H1 are extremely powerful and proven engines with lots of low end power and mid range torque. id also pay the $600 difference for the diff lock and bumpers. if you want the most bang for the buck id definately get the XTX for EFI and a little more power. ill bring home my magazine from work tonight and give you why they put the prowler over the rhino and the ranger also if need be. its just an all around better machine than the rhino and the ranger. any questions feel free and i can get back to you tomorrow.

BTW on my website ignore everything on the top until line 11 about air intake. the 1st 10 lines are about the 366 that i accidentaly put on the prowler page and will remove tomorrow also.

Old 07-09-2007 | 05:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info. the shop i went to did not have the XTX 700. I only saw the 07 base and the 08 XTX. what is disliked about the XT (i only drove that) is a few times when i changed gears it hesitated or though it was in neutral - almost like you had to rool into gear a few times. dude told me it was just because it had never been ridden - had 1 mile on it. i just do not want that to be a sign of a bad tranny. i believe i'll be switching into and out of 4x4 a lot - like every couple minutes. so my first question would be - what do you think anout the gears having to "catch"? second question: in two wheel drive it it easy enough to tear it up instead of trying to seel it as a lawn saver? i want to be able to swing the back end around in dirt and "tear it up".

Old 07-09-2007 | 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

What is the weight and width of the XTX?

Quick Reply: Newbie Side by Side Q's