Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE...... :-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE...... :-)

Hello everyone I have run into a small dilemma.

One of my relatives wants to buy my new SPECIAL EDITION SILVER 2007 GRIZZLY 700 FI 4X4. He will pay Canadian prize for it less the taxes.
So I have the opportunity now to either buy another 700 Grizzly or buy a 2007 Outlander Max 650 H.O EFI with the XT Package without putting in a extra pennie..... LOVE THAT CANADIAN DOLLAR.........

If you have read my other posting the SPECIAL EDITION SILVER 2007 GRIZZLY 700 FI 4X4 is a fantastic 4wheeler you just can't beat the power steering on it, I love it and that's what sold me on it. The problem is that I have to spend more money to get a winch, windshield, better tires and a passenger seat. The 2007 Outlander Max 650 H.O EFI with the XT Package already will come with new BRP XL2500 winch, ACT radial tires there is already a passenger seat (2up) and the salesman said he will throw in a free windshield for me. I have read over and over again what a great machine the outlander is and what great power and ride it has. I have test driven the outlander and it has a great ride but it does not have
the excellent power steering like the Grizz.......

I know that I am in a great position...........but I am being torn..........

SO MY QUESTION TO YOU IS.............WHICH ONE.............

2007 GRIZZLY 700 FI 4X4 or OUTLANDER MAX 650 H.O EFI XT...... ???????

Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

That silver special edition Grizzly 700 is one sweet looking ATV, isn't it! A Grizzly 700 works well for one up riding, but the seat length is pretty darn short, so with two up riding the passenger is going to have the rear rack up against their back side. My wife and i have ridden two up on our Grizzly a few times, and although it isn't that comfortable for the passenger the Grizzly can certainly handle two riders. We rode the ATV course of the WORCS race in Monticello, UT, and it had an insane steep silty and rocky hillclimb on it. The Grizzly went right up it in 4-low with two riders onboard. There wasn't much weight on the front tires, but it never felt unmanagable at all. The Grizzly has fantastic terrainability (a Yamaha word), and the suspension actually feels really good with two riders. Still, ... for two up riding I would give the nod to the Can-am.

Some of the Grizzly 700s didn't start in sub-zero weather last winter (mine included). And our Grizzly 700 also tends to run real hot when temps are over 100. We did some long rides in the red rock country of southeastern UT three weeks ago, and temps were 104 to 106. The Grizzly 700s fan is always on in those temps, and the gas in the gas tank boils all day long. It doesn't vapor lock, or seem to have any power loss or hesitation at all, but the gas in the tank certainly is at a rip roaring boil alot of the time.

DV

Old 07-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

2008 Arctic Cat 700 H1 EFI SE

Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

DV, there's some adjustments you can make to stop the gurgling affect in the venting for the gas tank.

As for what you should do btremont, you chose the grizzly once over everything else... It'll suck if you get something else then constantly second guess yourself or miss it... Then again... the decision is up to you... We helped out the first time... now it's just plain your decision... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

Yes I do agree with you Hebs........don't get me wrong my 07 Grizzly is everything I want and need and more........ the person who approached me offered me a great price.................but your 100% right it will be crazy to be going back and forth............ thanks for your reply and honesty.

Regards

Old 07-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hebs,
We tried switching gas caps between our Grizzly and our Rhino just to be sure it wasn't a problem with the Grizzlys gas cap not venting properly. It made no difference, so either both gas caps do not vent, or the Grizzlys gas cap works fine. The Rhino did fine during this whole time, and did not run nearly as hot as the Grizzly did. The Grizzly 700 is the hottest running ATV, side x side, motorcycle, jeep type vehicle that I have owned in the last 30 years. Yamaha definitely needs to upgrade the cooling system capacity.

DV

Old 07-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

My Buddy's Grizz700 ran really hot too. Part of the problem is mud getting flung up into the back side of the rad by the front tires. We're making a small deflector/shield thingy out of a mud flap to prevent this. Bit worried that the shield will prevent some airflow and actually make the problem worse, but we'll test anyways. We also tried a different rad fluid with a higher boiling point. Seems to keep it from boiling over, but it's really just a band-aid. The motor is still running too hot.

Trending Topics

Old 07-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

Ok this is very interesting are you guys saying that the motor runs hot only in hot, hot weather and you run the machine for a long time......???? or are you saying the motor runs hot in any kind of temperature if you run the machine for 4 to 5 hours......??????

Old 07-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

It only runs hot in really hot weather. With our Grizzly it tended to be worse when my wife rode it than when I rode it, possibly due to a different riding style. I remember stopping after a tough spot in the trail with the Rhino, and waiting for my wife to come over it in the Grizzly, and when she pulled up my first impression was "dang girl, you're overheating that thing". It was hot! But whoever rode it, the engine fan was on continueously, and there was so much engine heat that the plastic covering the engine sides and the airbox area would get so hot and soft that they would collapse if you leaned against them. And the plastic tabs that hold the different plastic pieces together didn't want to fit right. The plastic parts were coming apart and had to be snapped back together, and when you tried to snap it back together the plastic was so soft it wouldn't stay together. The Grizzly was definitely too hot, but it was 106 outside, we were riding on slickrock, and the overheat light never did come on, so we just made the best out of it. The Grizzly made the trip just fine, but I've never had anything get that hot before.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

My experience as well (buddy's Grizz). Running hot on hot days AND in extreme conditions. Everybody was running hot with plugged up rads and caked mud all over the machines, but the Grizz was the only one boiling over. Like I said, the new rad fluid keeps it from actually boiling over, but doesn't really help it run any cooler. A good shroud around the fan, and over the back of the rad would help in keeping the mud from flinging up into the back of the rad. The radiator is also very hard to clean out properly due to it's placement. It's a trade off between effective cooling and protection of the radiator. This is the ONLY bad thing I have to say about the 700 Grizz, and remember, it is a new design in it's first year of production. These type of things pop up, and are usually fixed in subsequent years. In a lot of cases the fix can be applied to earlier models.
You could always get a huge aftermarket rad and mount it up on the front rack.