Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Install Questions

I'm putting a Venom wench on my Ozark.

I did a search here and people recommending regreasing with Amsoil grease. Do you regrease around the motor in the motor housing or around the carrier assembly and end with the freespool dial?

Also, where do your recommend mounting the contactor? The manual recommends mounting this in a "clean dry" place. Yeah, right! There is no where on my quad that stays clean and dry except for inside the storage box under the seat.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

I can't help with the re-greasing part because I didn't do that with the winch on either of our Grizzlys, but they are both Warn winches. The $69 winch deal that Yamaha has is hard to pass up for a Warn winch.

As for the contactor, we installed it in the front fender storage compartment with the first Grizzly when we installed a winch on it a year ago. I haven't liked it there because it takes up space and keeps you from using the storage compartment for storage. I just installed the winch on our second Grizzly tonight, and this time I installed the contactor to the top and back side of the winch mount. If I get in water over the top of the rims deep the contactor is going to get wet, but hopefully I won't be winching in water that deep, being as I live in a desert. I really only use a winch for hills that are too steep to ride up, and for rock crawling anyway, so hopefully it will be ok with the contactor mounted that low. I have removed the plastic on these Grizzlys twice now, and I can't find any place else to mount a contactor. Sounds like an Ozark is the same way.

DV

Old 09-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

I've got a Kodiak. I've sacrificed the dinky underseat storage for the selenoid contactor and drilled holes run the wire and to mount it to the inside side of the storage box. I've also sealed the wire & bolt holes I drilled out with clear RTV sealant.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. I did the same and put the contactor in the storage under my seat.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am installing and extreme winch and it requires tapping into a key switched 12v. I am going off the Brown/blue stripe wire at teh ignition as it seems to be a low power requirement. Has anyone else don it this way? Is it safe? thanks