Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

what to do when you get stuck...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do when you get stuck...

I ride alone a lot, soI made an anchor out of a piece of steel bar and a plow from a cultivating tractor. Check it out in my photo page. It works good, but it's bulky to carry.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 've heard that a small boat anchor has tremendous holding power buried in dirt

Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello folks, If I was in that situation, I would use a picket system built with rebar or cut to size lumber or even tree limbs found while walk to the timber to find some. You would also need something to drive them into the ground, then you can fashion a spanish windlass to tie them together and if done right can will hold up fout thousand pounds in the right soil conditions. But to get four thousand pounds you would need three rows first one with three wide the next row two wide the the last would be one and you would anchor to the one.

But you could get 2000lbs with just using and three pickets two in the back and one in the front.

I know this sounds confusing but if you were to google it there is a wealth of info about it, mostly under rope rescue type work. Idealy they said to have pickets 3 feet long and you would bury two feet and they would be inserted and a 15 degree away from the pull directon, but I think a guy could shorten it enough to be able to cary the items in a box or bag and would be easily depolyed.

Oh couse you should have a shovel and maybe a Hi lift jack and blocks woud go along way to make it easier to help get unstuck, thats how i have to do it with my Ditch Witch when I get it stuck, and that thing ways in at 4500 lbs and is not much bigger than my 700 sportsman.

I know this topic is a little old but I just joined and looking thru the old stuff and thought I could help with this one.

Thanks and good luck
Clint

Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Cabelas sells what looks like a small shovelhead that has a short shaft that can be driven into and out of the ground