Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

what to do when you get stuck...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do when you get stuck...

in the middle of a big field of mud and you get stuck really bad how do you winch yourself out? What do the boys in Iraq do when they are stuck in the sand in the desert and there are no tree to hook to. Thanks need advice going riding tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

hook to another quad or series of quads to get out

Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

You can bury something in the ground (like an old tire or log), or drive a stake into the ground. Or, you can get a pull-pal. I wouldn't go near serious mud without a shovel and a winch, or at least another vehicle and a tow strap.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

With sand it is more a matter of prevention than it is a matter of how to get out after you get stuck. If you're riding someplace like the St. Anthony dunes, where they have huge sand bowls that are two hundred feet deep, dont stop in the bottom of the bowl (unless you're on a 912cc nitrous Banshee) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Assuming you don't stop in the bottom of a bowl, a two wheel drive sport quad is generally light enough that even if you get stuck all you need to do is pick the back end up and set the tires back on top of the sand. Four wheel drive quads really shouldn't be getting stuck in the sand, unless its a really gutless 300cc or something. Just use common sense, and remember that speed is your friend in the sand. And always stop in a place where you can start out on level ground, or going downhill. And if you're climbing a dune that you can't make it to the top of, just keep the throttle pinned wide open and turn that sucker around right on the face of the dune, and go back down. Don't let it dig in and stop.

The only time I have had to worry about getting stuck in sand was in my Yamaha Rhino. Rhino's are horribly gutless wonders, and generally don't have enough power to pull the skin off pudding. My Rhino also had a broken front axle at the time, so I had two wheel drive only (but with paddle tires). I ventured too far into a 100 foot deep bowl in the dunes on the back side of Sand Mountain (UT). By keeping the throttle pinned wide open, and circling around and around and around the sand bowl I was able to build up enough speed to eventually crest the top of the bowl and get back out. If I would have stopped in the bottom of that bowl I would have been toast, because just one winch would have never pulled the Rhino out of there. It would have been a major ordeal, and we would have had to hook several quads together, with several winches, and lower them back down into the bowl far enough to start what would have likely been a several hour (or possibly several day) long winching process to get it back out again. So if you're in sand, and you're riding a gutless wonder that you doubt will get back out of a bowl, don't go there in the first place.

DV

Old 10-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Range Rover

I carry a small military type entrenching tool/folding shovel in my rack bag. I have yet to try it, but you could drive or dig it into the soil, attach winch cable near the ground, get off the atv so you are not pulling the weight of the atv and you, and help push along with the winch pulling. I saw similar device on Montana Jacks website, they make self extrication device to be used where there is no place to winch to. Like I said haven't tried it myself but something you keep in the back of your mind for those times when all else fails.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I've seen those too, Captainskodiak. They did remind me of the old military shovels you could pick up at a Army/Navy store.

Avalanche2082, not sure about the riding conditions in your area, but in Iraq, when in doubt, call in an air strike. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

sorry, but I highly doubt an E-tool will help you winch out of a hole... If you CAN get it deep enough into the ground, then the ground is too soft and it will pull out... If you can't get it into the ground because it's too hard, then it obviously won't work that way either... Now maybe if you have a couple pieces of rebar at 2 feet in length and a mallet or small sledge and you sank those about a foot and a half into the ground you might have a chance...

To answer the original question... 1 additional quad isn't always enough to pull you out of a mud hole... so keep a backup plan in mind if there's only gonna be 2 of you... (think about packing a ****** block as well)

Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plan ahead for the worst or don't go there

Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

Hebs I didn't gaurantee that the e-tool would work, just an idea. I always carry a mid size camp axe that I can use as a hammer, that could help drive the e-tool into the harder ground. I very rarely ride alone so most of the time I have a buddy that can help me out...but hey Grizzly's don't get stuck, right...ha ha.

Dean, thanks for serving our country in the war on terror. You are to be commended on your service to our country, I am deeply grateful. 2 of my fellow firefighters from here in Southern Indiana will be shipping out to Iraq later this year, my prayers are with them, and hope they return safe.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 06 Honda TRX400AT. It's 4x4. I got on the side of a hill almost about to tip over. I finally finagled my way over to a tree to get turned around and headed down hill. I lost a fender but it was easily re-installed. I learned a valuable lesson. I need a winch.

Quick Reply: what to do when you get stuck...