Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Snow plow decision

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow plow decision

Hi there I am new to this I looked on here cause I am having a hard time deciding. I am in vancouver bc, the two plows that I have found are the snowbear universal plow from canadian tire and the warn plow. The snowbear mounts to the rear with its tube that comes to the front and the warn mounts underneath the front. Probably just goin to get the 48" cause I will be doing side walks and small parking lots, I am wondering if there is an advantage to mounting the rear or the front. Both are about $550. I already have a warn winch on my 07 king quad 700. Or if anyone knows of another one I can get up over here for around the same money. I am having a really hard time with this plow thing, I am new to this atv thing, young and trying to start a lawn care company and need something to make money in the winter. If anyone could pleaseeeee help me it would be much appreciated

Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

First of all go AT LEAST with a 54". I have a american eagle, check them out for under $400.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is a 54 ok to do sidwalks if you put it on an angle?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

It all depends on the width of the sidewalk but I am with Zorro on this. I started out with a 48" blade but now use a 60" and wish it was wider.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya after hearing zorro I have decided on goin with a bigger plow like a 54" bigger would be too big for sidewalks. Wondering if you guys know about the different plows. I looked into the american eagle and called one of there distributors and they dont ship up here in canada. Canada sucks for atv stuff the states has way more products and cool stuff. I am hoping to make some money this winter cause winter is a tough time for landscapers. Oh but see the plow also has to be able to get into my truck too. I have a full size chev and I can back the atv in. ANY INFO THAT PEOPLE CAN GIVE ME ABOUT DIFFERENT PLOWS IS MUCH APPRECIATED

Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just bought a 60" and this will be my first year using it. Cant wait!!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

Before I bought my current Warn plow I looked at several different plows. The American Mfg. and Moose were too heavy in my opinion. The extra weight works against the ATV when the plow is on the ground. I had used a Cycle Country before but the blade was a little lite duty for my use. The Warn I choose has held up well but they changed the design a couple years ago which made it too lite duty for my tastes. Lately I have been looking at the Cycle Country again and if I had to make a choice today it would be the CC. The last one I saw had the push tubes beefed up some and the blade was considerably better than what I had used before. I plow a lot of snow so I want a blade that holds up well but avoid blades that have a lot of material in them that serves no purpose that I can see. Just my opinion.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya there arnt too many available up here from our dealers. I looked up the cycle country and they are out of the states so I am goin to give them a call and see if they ship up here or have dealers up here. Thanks Reb2. If I cant get ahold of another brand I guess I will have to go for the warn. Have you ever hear of the snowbear plows based out on ontario canada at www.snowbear.com ?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Range Rover

I am aware of the snowbear plow. All I know about them is what is on their web site. I would want to see one in person to check out the mounting system before I would buy. Over the years I have bent several mounts and pushtubes so I get cautious of them now. The last mount I bought I beefed up before I even put it on. The push tubes I am using now have splints on them to help strengthen them. Eventually I will just build my own complete system but for the near future I don't have the time. For what most people need though the systems like Cycle Country has will work fine. I just push a lot of snow and get aggressive about it to minimize the amount of time plowing. My pictures will give you an idea of the amount of snow I push.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lol you definetly push alot of snow, ya I am running out of time, I know we dont get much snow here in vancouver but i leave for holidays soon and I want to be ready for when it does actually snow so I can see if I am able to make some money at it or not. I think I am goin to just go for the warn system in the 54" plow, and as long as I have it early I can make modifications, we have a buddy that is an incredible fabricator so I will take whatever plow I get to him and see what he can do to beef it up, and I will get some really thick pieces of metal that I can bolt onto the plow just for weight just incase I need down pressure, Reb2 have you ever needed chains? Warn has been around for a long time and that is what I am goin by for right now. I am still definitly open to suggestions and am still looking into other plows until it comes time to buy in a couple of weeks so please feel free to put in your 2 cents, thanx

Quick Reply: Snow plow decision