Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

I need advice for snow plowing

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need advice for snow plowing

Winch vs manual. My first machine had manual. New 97 explorer. Worked ok cause knew nothing else. But going through (& getting stuck) my swamp got the yearning for winch. Next machine 02 SP500 got a winch. MUCH easier to lift especially when wedged into a bank. Also makes getting unstuck alot easier. Ever since all my machines have a winch & plow. I have not yet broken a cable since 02. Most all the plows I have seen are spring loaded for safety in case you hit something immoveable it will give so you don't bend the frame or throw yourself over the handlebars. I have used mine to spread dirt & stones, it will do it but not huge scoops. Have also tried to level my drive but due to the short wheelbase it kind of washboards it. For that I use a bucket or drag on back. Mine is also used for dragging logs as I heat with wood and also lots of trail riding. I have also never burned a belt on my atv and all have been belt drive. Always use low for plowing or towing. I have on the other hand smoked them on my sled either from being stuck or skis froze to ground. Blew one @ WOT throttle across a lake after a few minutes, know should have slowed down after started smelling rubber but what a rush.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BarrtRice

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Reb2

Barrtrice, what makes a person an expert?</end quote></div>

I makes me an expert cause I have owned ATV's since ATV's were invented.

It used to be all ATV's were gear drive and only one brand was belt drive

and you all know what brand was the only belt drive and you all know how junk it was ( and still is )

You guys are new to ATV's that the only ones you know about are the belt drives!

You guys listen to some slick talking salesman telling you the belt drives are the greatest.

That slick talking saleman doesn't fool me cause I spend a lot of my time towing those belt drives outta the woods.

Maybe you guys don't run and abuse your belt drive as tough as I run mine and you never run it hard enough to experience any problems with the belt, or you're afraid your mommy might get mad at you if you break that wonderful belt drive.

I don't care if you own a toy ATV and run it like a girl, but all I know my gear drive will go where your toy won't go.</end quote></div>

I would love to take you up on that challenge. I also wonder if you are MotoF150's Dad? Firts of all, you would **** your pants if you seen what I ride through with my ATV. I am still on the stock belt pappy, and going strong. In your response, you are no expert, your an idiot. Thanks for visiting.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Belts on sleds are a bit of a different animal than those on a quad, in that mud/water getting to it generally isn't an issue, which also means they don't have to be enclosed so they get better cooling air, and they are usually quick and easy to change if there is an issue.

Some early quads had problematic belts, but I'd have to admit that in most anything built recenlty belts are pretty tough and usually are only a problem if you go out of your way to make it a problem.

If you use low range when appropriate, and inspect/measure it for wear on schedule, I don't think you are likely to have belt issues.

Also, manual transmissions aren't always bullet proof either...

Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Reb2

Barrtrice, what makes a person an expert?</end quote></div>

I makes me an expert cause I have owned ATV's since ATV's were invented.

It used to be all ATV's were gear drive and only one brand was belt drive

and you all know what brand was the only belt drive and you all know how junk it was ( and still is )

You guys are new to ATV's that the only ones you know about are the belt drives!

You guys listen to some slick talking salesman telling you the belt drives are the greatest.

That slick talking saleman doesn't fool me cause I spend a lot of my time towing those belt drives outta the woods.

Maybe you guys don't run and abuse your belt drive as tough as I run mine and you never run it hard enough to experience any problems with the belt, or you're afraid your mommy might get mad at you if you break that wonderful belt drive.

I don't care if you own a toy ATV and run it like a girl, but all I know my gear drive will go where your toy won't go.</end quote></div>

Used to be all mail was delivered by horse. There is a reason for change son.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Reb2,
After that last paragragh from Barrtrice try telling me he isn't an expert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at what I don't know.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Beware of self professed "experts" !!!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

I kinda figured that would be his response but I just had to know for sure. He didn't disapoint us.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Just a stab in the dark here... Do you ride a Suzuki Eiger?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

I've had good luck plowing with the 500 polaris and a 60" kimpex plow, I don't like the reverse over ride on the Polaris it is a pain. You can't lift the winch and backup from the pile at the same time

Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

"Just a stab in the dark here... Do you ride a Suzuki Eiger?"
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Exactly. You probably saw my earlier post asking if he was MotoF150's Dad.

Quick Reply: I need advice for snow plowing