Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Opinions on a yard trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on a yard trailer?

I'm looking to replace the yard trailer (cheap Argifab) I have now. I'd like something off road capable but reasonably priced. I know there are other models out there but cost is an issue (max $400).

Does anyone own either of these?

This one will need some work to beef up (pressure treated sides, ball hitch) but looks like a good starting point -
http://www.harborfreight.com/c....taf?Itemnumber=47845

Tractor Supply sells these for about $400, they look and seem to be built pretty solid -
http://www.swisherinc.com/dump_cart.asp

I also thought of fabricating my own from steel (my dad has a welder) but I'll be at a loss when it comes time to build/mount the axle.

thanks, Sal

Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I build my own ,my ATV trailer is a tandem axel walking beam ,with no cross axels so i have about 16" of clearance under it ,

Old 02-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I bought a 4x6 trailer at Tractor supply for $360. Mesh bottom with iron rail sides. The only reason I got it was I can use it around the yard and still use it to haul 1 ATV.
Buck

Old 02-02-2008, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

I've got that identical HF model.

It's a decent value for the money. Mine came in several boxes and you had to put it together yourself of course. Not a difficult job. One of the bearings on one of the wheels wasn't pressed in properly and I had to redo it but other than that it was all together and the parts were acceptable.

I built some sides for mine out of lumber. I'm using the standard coupling since that is what my ATV has. You could add a ball mount easily enough. This summer I'm going to add a 12 volt linear actuator to it so it has a power dump capability.

It performs ok off road. Not as well as a trailer with an actual suspension but acceptable. I haul mine all over the timber to various parts of the farm and it has held up just fine. Hauled firewood, tools and equipment, feed and water, deer and about anything else you can imagine.

Those little trailers are a nightmare to try to back up with by the way. Try to always leave yourself a way to drive through. I got hung up out in the timber once and had to decouple the trailer from the ATV to get it out. Even in the driveway backing it into the garage is really tricky.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I just built mine using the Norther Tool torsion axle stubs. I made adapter plats to mount my polaris wheels and tires to the 4 on 4 hubs. 18" of ground clearence, 26" alloy wheels and tires, all steel with treated plywood. About $250.00 invested and 40 hours.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

All good tips, thanks.

I've looked at the Tractor Supply trailer. I was thinking the same thing (to use in the yard and trailer an ATV).

I've also looked into building my own with the NT's torsion axles as mentioned by Trailbound. Nice product. I'm not sure if I'll have the time available for the build with the summer "list" getting longer (deck, the kid's swing set, paver sidewalk . . .)

I think for the time being I may start with the HF model and go the route of CaptainQuint.

Any chance you can post pics of the finished install of the actuator when it's finished? I see that Northern Tool's sells them for about $140.

I know it's tough to back them things up. I've jack knifed my old one a couple of times. BTW, I've got an old truck bedliner bolted down to the bottom of it. It's pretty much what helped it last the 10yrs that it did. If you can find one cheap or better yet free, well worth it.

Seems like all of you explored the same routes that I have. Small world when it comes to these things.

Thanks again for the tips.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SalsCREWAny chance you can post pics of the finished install of the actuator when it's finished? I see that Northern Tool's sells them for about $140. </end quote></div>

We must think alike. The Linear Actuator from Northern Tool was the one I was thinking of using. They're a little less expensive than some others I have seen making them more sensible to use on a budget trailer.

I don't think mounting on the trailer will be too difficult of a task. Fab up a couple of brackets and maybe a bit of welding if I want to get fancy. A person could probably do something with just bolt on parts if you didn't have access to a welder. When I get it done I'll be sure to post some pictures.