Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What atv is best for handling and comfort on rocky terrain and climbing steep inclines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008 | 12:32 PM
Range Rover
Default What atv is best for handling and comfort on rocky terrain and climbing steep inclines?

yep, we all think ours is the best! thats what we know. of cuorse I think theres nothing like the Kawasaki Brute Force 650I, it dose it all, power, 4x4, diff loc, nice soft seat, you can ride all day! it rocks!
Name:  IMAG0086.jpg
Views: 2453
Size:  99.2 KB
best of luck to you on your choice.

Old 04-03-2008 | 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default What atv is best for handling and comfort on rocky terrain and climbing steep inclines?

It is a fun decision to have though isn't it?

Old 04-04-2008 | 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: zorro700

It is a fun decision to have though isn't it?</end quote></div>

It says something about ALL of the major ATV manufacturers that there is no clear, obvious top dog in the ATV arena. All of the manufacturers are making very good, very reliable and very capable ATVs now. There are differences of course and each one is tweaked a bit in different directions as a result of marketing or corporate design philosophy but they're still all very, very good. There isn't "model X" that just dominates and is considered the clear best now.

Of course just as in the automotive world there is the strange brand loyalty weirdness that goes on. It is like when some people buy an ATV they wrap some part of their masculinity and personal self worth in the purchase. If anything critical is said about their particular favorite machine it is taken as some sort of personal assault on their manhood and being. This lunacy goes to the point of not being able to look objectively at an issue due to them having part of their being or self worth wrapped up in their choice of a machine. Maybe it is that they need reassurance that they have the best or that they haven't made a 10,000 dollar mistake. I guess they just can't handle the thought of the machine they bought not being the best or &lt;gasp!&gt; having flaws!

I care a wit about brand loyalty. I have a Honda and a Polaris. IS the Honda flawed? You bet it is. Is the Polaris flawed? Yes indeed. I recognize it and admit it. Were I to buy a new one today it would probably be a Polaris or a Grizzly. Are they the best? For my needs yes. If something else comes out that is superior will I buy it ? Absolutely. If a superior machine comes out after I buy mine and then deny the obvious flaws in mine or the superiority of the newcomer? of course not. That would be stupid and intellectually dishonest. I don't care if something is better than what I have. I'm happy about it. That means there is continuing innovation and a competitive marketplace. I'll drop whatever brand I may be riding and go with the new kid on the block if it is a vast improvement over mine. I certainly won't blindly champion my particular machine just because I need some sort of half assed validation of my purchase.

Old 04-04-2008 | 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not necessarily a brand loyal guy at all... I started off on all honda trikes... then switched to suzuki and kawi dirt bikes... and eventually to a yamaha yfz...

The grizzly is my favorite "overall" utility quad. Can it do everything better? No... Does it have it's flaws? You bet it does... does it still beat out all of the other quads based off of my experience? Yep... Do I really give a **** what other people think when it comes to my suggestions? Nope... Then why did I offer it up? Because it was asked...

And Gar... you're right... I did lump the Hondas all into the SRA group... It's wierd thing... but I never see anyone driving an IRS Honda... So much so, I tend to forget they have em... lol

Old 04-04-2008 | 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mirlkman

The majority of my riding will be done in rocky environments and climbing steep mountain trails. What 600cc or larger bike is the best suited for such a task?</end quote></div>

All the atvs are good but you asked what the best is.
Simple! 1 of the long wheelbase atvs.
Polaris X2 or Touring
Can-Am Max
Artic Cat TRV
They have heavy front ends which help keep the front wheels on the ground on steep climbs.
Polaris has ADC on the new atvs, best engine braking system for very steep decents.

Old 04-04-2008 | 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hebs

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

Any of the Polaris Sortsmans would do the trick they have the best suspension andthe best 4x4 system avail!!!!</end quote></div>

I'll give ya the "softest ride out there"... but there's just no way you can say Polaris has the best 4x4 system...

Also, he asked what was best for climbing... Well since what goes up, must come down, you'll want to keep in mind that PoPo's are extremely lacking in the engine braking department. ...</end quote></div>

Hebs
The Polaris has the only true AWD system, the rear wheels drive the atv untill the rear wheel speed excedes the front wheel speed by 1/5 rotation and engages 4WD. Then when the front/rear wheels turn the same speed again the front wheels disengage. This is automatic and so quick you can't even tell.

The regular Polaris EBS didn't do very well on steep declines because only the rear wheels have the engine braking.
Polaris fixed this with EBS/ADC
The ADC adds front wheel engine braking along with the EBS rear wheel engine braking.
Since the front and rear are geared differant the ADC and EBS will actually stop the atv on a very steep hill. I can ride down the steepest nastiest trails with 1 hand while drinking a water, while the other guys have a death grip on their bars. I used to be the 1 with the death grip with just EBS.

I ride with every brand atv out and have ridden them all! Yes they all have some strong points and weak points. Polaris just happens to have the most good points.

Old 04-04-2008 | 10:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Anyone who can,t get any ATV down a hill even with brakes alone should find another sport. I used to get my KDX 250 pure enduro down any hill and it had no engine braking on the front wheel thats for sure.

Old 04-04-2008 | 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Anyone who can,t get any ATV down a hill even with brakes alone should find another sport. I used to get my KDX 250 pure enduro down any hill and it had no engine braking on the front wheel thats for sure.</end quote></div>

I agree!!! but having good engine braking makes it sooo easy.

Old 04-04-2008 | 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

OK... AWD is not the same as 4x4... and you can't say the AWD system of the Polaris bikes is better than the Diff-lock of other quads. It may be great because it kicks in without rider intervention, so it probably helps a lot in many situations... but I would have to experience it in person and see it out perform a dif-locked quad, before I would say it was better than dif-lock in mud...

I'd really like to see this new braking system on the popo's as well...

Rick, have you ever ridden a new grizzly 700 down a steep hill before? I can get off of it and tell it to park itself at the bottom of the hill and just drink a beer while I fall down the hill, and the Griz will go right to that spot every time! (lol)

Old 04-04-2008 | 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hebs

I'd really like to see this new braking system on the popo's as well...

Rick, have you ever ridden a new grizzly 700 down a steep hill before? I can get off of it and tell it to park itself at the bottom of the hill and just drink a beer while I fall down the hill, and the Griz will go right to that spot every time! (lol)</end quote></div>

No I haven't ridden a new Griz 700 with PS, but I have ridden a couple newer 660s. Did they change the drivetrain? I don't think they changed. If you lock the front diff in going downhill or uphill it will be very hard to steer. Yes power steering would help this. Polaris doesn't do this it just locks in when needed and unlocks when not needed. You can ride all day with AWD on, just like Can Am and have easy steering and 4WD when needed!
The 07-08 Polaris are night/day better than the older models.
They added EFI, better clutching, ADC etc...I heard some 50 differant minor changes.
Have an open mind there are other atvs out there. Once you ride them all you may come to find one you like better!

Quick Reply: What atv is best for handling and comfort on rocky terrain and climbing steep inclines?