Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What atv is best for handling and comfort on rocky terrain and climbing steep inclines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008 | 07:52 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default What atv is best for handling and comfort on rocky terrain and climbing steep inclines?

The majority of my riding will be done in rocky environments and climbing steep mountain trails. What 600cc or larger bike is the best suited for such a task?

Old 03-26-2008 | 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default What atv is best for handling and comfort on rocky terrain and climbing steep inclines?

Any of the Polaris Sortsmans would do the trick they have the best suspension andthe best 4x4 system avail!!!!

Old 03-26-2008 | 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

you won't beat a grizzly 700 for comfort. Power steering, and a seat about as comfortable as my couch at home. When we go to the dunes, I'm pretty soar after a full day of riding my wolverine...my buddy on his grizz has never complained and is always wanting to ride longer.

Old 03-27-2008 | 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

Any of the Polaris Sortsmans would do the trick they have the best suspension andthe best 4x4 system avail!!!!</end quote></div>

I'll give ya the "softest ride out there"... but there's just no way you can say Polaris has the best 4x4 system...

Also, he asked what was best for climbing... Well since what goes up, must come down, you'll want to keep in mind that PoPo's are extremely lacking in the engine braking department.

Suzuki's have a good low center of gravity, great for hill climbing. (they lack a lil on the ground clearance department and their steering tends to suck at higher speeds)

The grizzly climbs well, handles great (gotta love that power steering), has the best engine braking around, and some good ground clearance. It doesn't win many drag races though...

The AC's are really powerful with a great 4wd with dif-lock setup. They feel a little top heavy and I never liked climbing with them... (there's a pic of me standing one up in my pics)

I just can't get over the dif-lock trigger on the brute forces... (that's just me though) They do have a lot of power though...

Hondas ride a lil rougher... but they climb well and are an all around decent bike... (except that they don't offer dif-lock)

These are just a couple points on each... I don't really have the time to break everyone of them down... someone else can if they want...

Old 03-27-2008 | 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

In my opinion it would be a personal preference toss up between the Grizzly and the Sportsman.

The Grizzly is a lighter handling and the power steering would be nice in such conditions. The Polaris would have the edge in power and comfort but would require more effort to control due to its weight and lack of power steering.

Having had seat time on both I'd personally choose an 800 Sportsman but only if it was a model with ADC. I wouldn't buy a Polaris that didn't have ADC especially for steep terrain.

You really couldn't go wrong with a grizzly or a sportsman. Just a matter of what feels best under your own butt.

Old 03-29-2008 | 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

Another biased opinion but I love my X2. I live here in the desert and do nothing but climb rocks and mountains all day. The extended wheel base of the 2-up type machines is definately a big plus for inclines.

Old 03-29-2008 | 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

Kind of a stupid question I hear all the time, all the People who own a certain type machine says theirs is the best. Everybody knows a Kimko is the best when it comes to a peace of garbage from China.

HEBS: You never have drove a Rincon they are all about a softer ride and great handling, "Rough ride" You must of drove a straight axle unit.

What to look for:
Independent suspenshion (IRS) front & rear no straight axle would be good for comfort.

Power steering sounds pretty awsome on the Griz, locker front end

I have a Honda Rincon that has gears instead of the belt thing, and front & rear IRS, it does have engine braking when you turn on the manual shifting ESP mode you simply go down any hill in a lower gear it works fine, plus using the brakes of course.

I was told most V-Twin motor gets crappy MPG to travel any distance. Big power no distance it does not make any sense to me.

It all depends on how much you ride and what kind of money you want to spend and of course dealer support. Kawasaki they like to dink with their customers over repair issues I was told, and a real pain to get approval for any major repair from their service mgrs.

Garman

Old 03-29-2008 | 11:54 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You want a true awd traction for hill . My 3x4 Foreman and Big Bear could never climb the hills my Sportsman can they would only go so far then dig 3 ruts and the show was over. After that you want a ATV with a rock clawling low range and smooth riding high ground clearance IRS suspension,most all ATVs offer that now.

Here is a good vid showing the differance of 3x4 vs 4x4 going up a small hill.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s8IFobzRz8

Old 03-30-2008 | 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

Any of the Polaris Sortsmans would do the trick they have the best suspension andthe best 4x4 system avail!!!!</end quote></div>

+1

Old 04-01-2008 | 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

mirlkman.
Is this the kind of mountains you have in mind? The 11,000 ft high kind?

Fuel injection will be a must if you are thinking high altitude use. Most of the better 600+cc utility ATVs are fuel injected now a days though, so that shouldn't limit your choices.

Independent rear suspension should be considered mandatory for very rocky terrain, both because of improved ground clearance, and because of better ride quality.

Four wheel engine braking, a low range transmission, and a locking front differential should also be considered mandatory. Separate front and rear brakes are also a big advantage on the real steep stuff.

I'll limit the recommendation I give to one of the 500+cc ATVs that I have actually owned myself, and used in the mountains. I would rate them like this:
1. Grizzly 700
2. Grizzly 660
3. Brute Force 650
4. Prairie 700
5. Prairie 650
6. Sportsman 500 HO
7. Rincon 650
8, Scrambler 500 4x4

Other brands may be just as good, but since I haven't owned one personally I will avoid recommending them.

Good luck with which ever one you choose.

DV

Quick Reply: What atv is best for handling and comfort on rocky terrain and climbing steep inclines?