Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Big cc engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big cc engines

Why do those of you that have the big cc engines get them? I'm just wondering because utility's aren't made for speed so what's the need for the big motor? Do you go in deep, nasty mud? Do you use them for food plots/pulling attachments? Is it stritcly a macho thing? It seems like some of the smaller engines are plenty big enough for what most of us do. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get a nice new atv with some more power but I think the majority of people don't NEED them.

Just wondering.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Big cc engines

My first recreational sport was snowmobiling, and the most powerful ATV has the power of a entry level sled to me. If anything you will see ATV get much bigger in the future.

Fast machines can alway chose to go slow ,but slow machine can not chose to go fast.

My truck can go 100+mph but i never drive it over 70mph ever.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default Big cc engines

Pinelog:
What a (FOOLISH) Question:
The whole idea behind a bigger motor is so you can have more pulling power not just out rite speed, and so-what if a 4x4 quad has more power to go fast. Why not have a machine that does it all. My 450 Foreman top speed was around 40 if I remember right, compared to my Rincon that is governered at 64.

A bigger quad that has a bigger motor will be better suited for a bigger person to ride. I drove a YZF450 a few weeks ago and it felt real small and cramped compared to my Rincon.

If your into going slow buy a smaller quad and like a John Deer tractor you can putt down the trail all day doing a fine job and being happy when all of a suddon you panic and hear a loud thunder getting closer & closer? get out of the way the rest of us are coming through "YEE-HAW" As we spit out our chewing tobacco and some is running down our dirty faces you can say that was those no good gas guzzling big motor quads I keep telling everybody about. "Maybe someday I can buy one" Like I posted on ATV Connection. (Good story I thought)

Bigger 4x4 quads are more stable driving down rocky rutty trails compared to a lighter quad that has a lighter front end with skinny hard tires.

A heavier quad is better suited to plow snow and be more of a work horse.

It's better to have more power than not enough, we use all the power we have blasting up big hills and plowing through heavy snow in the winter.

The biggest thing about a bigger motor plain & simple is you are not going to run it as hard as a smaller motor resulting in a motor that will last longer. (There is no replacement for displacement) Dam-Straight!

Question? All you need is a small pick-up truck with a four cylinder motor to haul a big trailer loaded with quads right, (wrong) It will take a full size truck with a big six or V8 or better yet a Diesel to get the job done.

School's out! Go back and play with your crayons. (LOL)

Garman

Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big cc engines

Ten years ago, 500cc's was considered a "big bore". A few years before that, test reports on my King Quad 300 said that with it's multiple gearing it had all the power you would ever need. So do you NEED a 600+ cc machine, of course not.

So why get a big bore? One simple answer for me would be, "So I could keep up with my brother on fire roads" But there are many other reasons. It is true that my brother used to have a Prairie 650, he bought his 650 the same day that I bought my Eiger. In the woods, the bikes were almost equals but once we hit an open trail - bye-bye Prairie, all I could see was his dust. Now he rides an AC 700 - even faster than the Prairie. On our last ride we wanted to make some time - traveled over very familiar trails to get to a new area to explore. In about ten minutes we were over 6 miles down the road. had I been on my Eiger I never could have stayed at that speed - hauling my fat butt up hills is just too much for 376cc's to do. So in this case, the big engine simply did what the smaller couldn't do.

I put lots of good miles on my KQ and was happy with it. Even happier with my Eiger. And I must confess that I'm really, really enjoying my Outlander. I was in the market for a 650. I really didn't NEED all the power and speed of the 800. But I found a deal on an 800 and don't regret it for a minute. I spend most of my riding time cruising at a sedate speed on technical trails but it's also just as much fun to wind it out from time to time too.

Need a big bore, of course not. But then again, most of us don't NEED an ATV at all. ATV riding is my sport, my release from working, my guarantee of a good day. I WANT to be on the best ATV I can find for me. Simple enough.

Jaybee

Old 04-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Range Rover
Default Big cc engines

I think most of you are taking my comments in an accusatory way which was not my inent. I was just wondering what some of your personal reasons are for the bigger engines? Like i said, is it towing, mud, or some other reason. No accusations, just curiosity.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Big cc engines

I think the answer to that question is pretty much self explanatory to people that have spent a lot of time on both mid-size utility ATVs and big bore utility ATVs. It becomes pretty obvious once you spend equal seat time on both. I've owned a 350 Wolverine, a 400 Kodiak, a couple of 450 Kodiaks, a couple of Grizzly 660s, a couple of Grizzly 700s, a couple of big bore Kawasaki's, and a big bore Honda. The mid-size ATVs can usually go anywhere the big bores can, but the fun factor just isn't there. They're boring in comparison to the more powerfull big bores. You could make other arguments in favor of big bore utility ATVs, like safety for example. And you could say that having more power available is a safety advantage when you are trying to get through very technically difficult terrain, and you need to throttle it to get over an obstacle. But the bottom line I think is just that more power is more fun, ... LOTS more fun.