Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What is the best utility atv 500cc and up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best utility atv 500cc and up?

what is the toughest utility atv out there? I want an atv that can take abuse i take really good care of my toys but i ride them hard. I want something that will not let me down? any suggestions
I like the yamaha grizzly but is it reliable?

I will mostly be using it on flat fields or in a sawamp to tow out logs on my farm. I will also go trailriding in mass sometimes. my main concern with the grizzly was teh drive shaft with 27-28 inch itp mud lites tiers but somone alredy anwserd that. thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default What is the beast utility atv 500cc and up?

I think the Grizzlys are reliable. We've owned five of them (three 660s and two 700s), and altogether accumulated what I would estimate to be at least 12,000 miles worth of riding time on Grizzly's. Out of all those ATVs, and all those miles, the only problem we have ever had is one broken front axle CV joint that happened on a 2002 Grizzly 660 with 27" Outlaws on it. I got the Grizzly hung up while rock crawling, and had that front tire firmly wedged under a rock ledge, and tried to throttle out of it in low/lock. Right after reaching sustained wide open throttle, ... and nothing turning in the drivetrain, ... BANG! That was my fault I suppose, but Yamaha covered it free of charge under warranty. We have never had to repair or replace one single other part on a Grizzly, ... ever. We've also owned two Rhino's and three Kodiak's, and have never had to replace, or even adjust a belt in the CVT transmission. I think the Grizzly is about as reliable as you can get. I even think it is more reliable than a manual transmission ATV like the electric shift Honda's.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

This all depends on how you are going to ride your bike you want reliabile go Honda but they are sloooooow if you want fast go Can-am but they are expensive if you want a heavy well built softest ride you go Polaris and for a quick every day quad go Yamaha. All these quads will take care of you if you take care of them. As with anything that has moving parts they take some T.L.C once in a while.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would go with a Honda. I have a honda foreman 450 es. I bought it new in 2000. I now have 9350 miles on it. Its been under water so many times I can't remeber how many. It would always start right back up, and run until I got it home to flush out the water! lol I have rolled it a million times. I was always afraid that if it rolled the headlight between the handle bars would break. Its never even bent the handle bars. I haven't had to replace one thing on this atv, besides the tires. Actually I have went through 3 sets of tires. This thing still runs like the day I bought it. I don't know what You mean about the honda being slow? My 450 will run up to 50 fast. Faster than my cousins polaris 425 sportsman. My buddy also has a honda 400ex with some mods, and it will run like 90 something mph. I just bought a new honda rincon. It honestly doesn't feel as powerful to me as the 450 I have. It could be the transmission, but I dunno. Its still a really nice atv. If I were You I would look into a honda foreman! My buddy has a grizzly 600, and He has had quite a few problems with his. He has actually grinded the splines off of his axles a couple times. Don't ask me how.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

This all depends on how you are going to ride your bike you want reliabile go Honda but they are sloooooow if you want fast go Can-am but they are expensive if you want a heavy well built softest ride you go Polaris and for a quick every day quad go Yamaha. All these quads will take care of you if you take care of them. As with anything that has moving parts they take some T.L.C once in a while.</end quote></div>

Good post Hemi. Don't forget to look at the 750 kingquad.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

I'm a Popo man through and through. BUT, if was going to buy a wheeler for the power/fun combination, I would have to take an extra long look at the Brute Force 750i. We have one at work and I've almost been converted.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

The toughest quad BY FAR for towing logs out of a swamp is the Arctic Cat 500cc 5 speed manual tranny. With the fully sealed non belt tranny, mega ground clearance, and tough as nails Suzuki motor and tranny these units are bullet proof for the work you describe. If Yamaha had delayed the announcement of the 700 Griz only a few weeks then I would have a 500 AC 5 speed in my garage instead of the recreational biased 700 Griz.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: OIown12

I'm a Popo man through and through. BUT, if was going to buy a wheeler for the power/fun combination, I would have to take an extra long look at the Brute Force 750i. We have one at work and I've almost been converted.</end quote></div>

The engine alone is addictive.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

honda are kinda slow the utilitys are
i would agree if you want a tough quad go with grizzly
if u want a fast go with can-am
just put a lift and mudlites or in your case swamp lites on it
polaris is OVERRATED!
so id go with a yamaha

Old 04-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I thought I was reading something written by Yoda when I read mudb0ggers reply, LOL. Good one.

Quick Reply: What is the best utility atv 500cc and up?