Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Yamaha Grizzly,Honda Rubicon,Polaris Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATV magazine's "ATV OF THE YEAR" 400 KODIAK AUTOMATIC 4x4 The lightest , most agile machine in its class. It's the carving KING of the woods... 2wd/4wd with a push of a button, engine braking, triple hydraulic disc brakes, IT's the most capable ATV you can buy, PERIOD...

MAINE TESTED TOUGH

Old 02-02-2001, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

What happened to the Arctic Cat 500 and the Bombardier Traxter, two great machines that are proving themselves very well. No mention of them! (I would rather have anything than walk), to the one that made the remark about rather walking than having anything but a Honda.
I would put these 2 machines against any other machine mentioned for dependability, and tuffness. They are also great mudders. I won't walk!!! The Cat will always find its way back home.

Old 02-07-2001, 06:46 PM
Range Rover

Just got to say I believe the H.O. is water proof I had mine in water this past week end up to the fuel tank and played in it for about 30 minutes.Also had it in mud just about as deep,no problem no belt slip.My son has Griz he also played in water he had no problems either but the H.O. is the better performer in the deep mud and on steep rutted out muddy hills.Also when in rough slow terrain you want to make sure you put in the low side or you will slip your belt.

Old 02-07-2001, 06:56 PM
Range Rover

Just got to say something about these guys always saying the Polaris is not dependable. I've been riding for years and have never run in to one broke down on the trails.I also know a guy who has had two of them for over eleven years and he has done nothing but normal wear and tear work on his.I dont believe Polaris gets a fair shake in this area.Ive only got 200 miles on my H.O. but if I have trouble out of it I'll let you know.

Old 02-12-2001, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer

I made my 98 SP500 a tank my sealing the spark plug boot with dielectric grease. Its cheap and very easy to use. I've been up to the racks several times with no sputtering or tranny problems.

98 SP500
96 Chevy Z71

Old 02-16-2001, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Polaris has a tendancy to allow the drive belt to get wet once it gets in water. Once the belt is wet it won't hardly go anywhere until it drys out. This is a horrible design flaw by Polaris and I hope the fix this in the future. I have experienced this first hand and so have many of my friends and fellow riders. Other than that the Sportsman 500 is an amazing ATV.

Old 02-16-2001, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Riding in deep mud is definitelty to the Sportsman's advantage. I've ridden with hundreds of other wheelers at this place in Tishomingo County Mississippi called Sharpe's Bottom. I've seen everything made in some of the worst muck on the planet. Honda 300s, 400s, 450s; Prairie 300s and 400s; Polaris everything; and some assorted Arctic Cats and Yamahas. Oddly enough no Suzukis. The Sportsman 500 had the clear advantage with its ground clearance. This really killed me because I'm not a Polaris person, in fact I used to have a Scrambler 400 4x4 but couldn't throw enough metric wrenches at it to keep it together. Anyway, holes that me on my Prairie and my buddies on their Hondas would get stuck in would get run through by stock Polaris Sportsmans. They are pretty bad, when all the namebrands are in the mud, their's is the best. Now at this same place, the most unreliable machine also happens to be the Polaris. Among the strange problems I've witnessed are broken rear c.v.joints, a stuck throttle, and other stuff that isn't fun to have to deal with. Make no mistake about it, this place is rough on everything, but to answer the question about what is the best in the slippery stuff.......Polaris. I can't believe I'm even saying that because I won't have one, but it is the un-biased truth. I'll probably get barbequed for saying this. Oh, well, that's life.

Old 02-16-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have, a bunch as a matter of fact. Most of the time it was me! I fixed that when I went to a Prairie then it fell upon me to drag the fallen Polarises out of the woods. Once I had to pull a 500 Sportsman with a broken rear c.v. joint( he took the shaft out but it would try to run sideways) while I was pushing another one that had some other problem. I've never found a broken Honda, though, or a Kawasaki or a Yamaha.

Old 02-24-2001, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

My Kawasaki Prarie 300 has gone places that Polaris Sportsman and magnum and Honda rancher were not able to go. The automatic on my Prarie has never failed me forging through the water of mud. I just point it in the direction I want to go and hit the gas and hang on for the ride.

Old 02-26-2001, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know this wasn't one of the machines you mentioned but i recently purchased a bombardier traxter. This has to be one of the best machines for deep water. The air inlet is up high in the rear cooling ducts for the radiator. As for mud i was riding yesterday with 8 others and the traxter and both polarises were the only ones that could make it thru a huge mudhole we encountered. Honda and yamaha make great machines but i don't care for any 4wd that only spins 3 wheels. If you really like mud true 4wd is a must.