Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Yamaha Grizzly,Honda Rubicon,Polaris Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2001, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering which one would be the best one for mudding, going trough snow,creeks and some deep water crossings.

Old 01-20-2001, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Well thats probibly the easest quesstion anybody can answer. #1 mudder whould haft to be the SP500,
#2 Honda Rubicon, and then #3 Yamaha Grizzly.

Old 01-21-2001, 11:31 AM
Range Rover

You forgot the Artic Cat 500.

shmoky

Old 01-21-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

mark3,

i second the motion on the arctic cat 500 4x4. you should really consider it as well. big engines, hi-tech drive trains, and independent susp. don't necessarily make a perfect atv. try the ac, you won't be disappointed.

just a thought,

texascat

Old 01-22-2001, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

Take a look at the pics at the link below. The snow pics are the most recent, and I have the 27" 'Claws on my 500 Auto 'Cat in them. The rest are all stock tires. The snow was over 2' deep, and with the 'Claws, it was no problem. What kind of features do you want in the machine? Say breaks for example: Grizz I believe has disc in front, drums in rear. Ruby has drums??? and SP has discs, as does the 'Cat. How about 2/4wd? Grizz, SP and 'Cat are selectable, Ruby is 4wd. Suspension? SP is full IRS, 'Cat has about the best rear floating axle on the market. Smoothest ride? SP with the IRS, then the 'Cat. Trick tranny? Ruby. Largest cc? Grizz. Basically, I think all the machines you mentioned, as well as the 'Cat, will do well in all the area's you mentioned. So, come summer time when there is no snow, what other type of riding or possible work will you be doing? If work is in the picture, then I'd recommend the 'Cat for sure, you can't beat it for work/utility useage. The Grizz and SPHO will be the fastest though, the 'Cat is not known for speed. The Ruby may have a breakthrough design in the new tranny department, but I'm not really all that impressed with the machine as a whole. Should it be selectable, disc breaks, rear axle similar to the 'Cats for working, or IRS like the SP for trail riding, then I'd look into it further, but for my particular useage, I'm not all that impressed. My 'Cat has been awesome to say the least for those areas you mention, as well as hard work and for the price, it's hard to beat with all the options/features available.

I guess the best thing to do would be to get some brochures from each manufacturer you're interested in, try to talk to the dealers and ride each one, then see which "feels" the best and you feel the most comfortable on. There really is no "best" quad, just a quad that fits you the best. That's really something you have to find out for yourself by testing each out, nobody can really tell you what is best for you.

Best of luck in the search!

Mike

Old 01-24-2001, 07:56 PM
Range Rover

How'd you get that 350 into your Rubie? Heck of a top end now I would guess.

Old 01-25-2001, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

Of the ones you mentioned, the Sportsman is the best in mud, snow, & water.

Old 01-26-2001, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Ok the sportsman might be good in mud and snow, but when it comes to water that is a differnt story, wow, they suck in water lots. I have had my grizz float, and behind me my friend on his SP followed, big mistake, water got in the tranny with no drain plug was fun, i had to tow him home. He was not a happy camper, but he did make up for it in a good mud hole, i got stuck and he pulled me out of it.
2000 grizz

Old 01-26-2001, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sportsman had to pull u out ? Must be because he could not have went where bears go , keep the sportsman out of the mud...

BEARS RULE

Old 01-27-2001, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

all i got to say is you dont buy a honda you would be better off walking.......

Quick Reply: Yamaha Grizzly,Honda Rubicon,Polaris Sportsman