Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Why does a belt get smoked in mud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 03:24 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why does a belt get smoked in mud?

I've never heard of anyone burning a belt in mud.

I can get over 100 miles on a 4.1 gallon tank of gas on my Sportsman 500 EFI. I think an 800 gets 2/3 as many miles. Maybe $160 a year in gas on a 500 and $240 for the 800. I can use the $80 worth of gas in my truck to get to the trails. Pick whatever you want for the features you need or want, but not just for the horsepower. You probably can't use all the horsepower of any of the big quads. 400-500s suit most people fine if they aren't adrenaline junkies.

I found this on another forum. It may or may not be right. Also, this year's Sportsman 800 has at least 10% more power than last years model. Some of these quads have the same basic engine but tuned differently. That makes more of a difference than if it's a twin or single, but I think a twin should be better all around. The Sportsman 500 EFI isn't listed here but it's almost the same HP as the Rincon 680. I don't know what the HP of any of the other 500s is but I heard the Hondas are really weak.

AC 1000_________65.84 hp
Can Am 800______61.7 hp
Can Am 650______55.4 hp
Brute 750 Carb____50.1 hp
Polaris 800_______50.1 hp
Brute 750 EFI_____49.8 hp
King Quad 750____49.6 hp
King 700_________48.5 hp
Grizzly 700________45.6 hp
Polaris 700_______44.3 hp
AC 700 H1_______41.4 hp
AC 700__________41.4 hp
Grizzly 660_______40.9 hp
Can Am 500______40.4 hp
AC 650 H1_______39.3 hp
Rincon 680_______38.5 hp

Old 06-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really hard to determine exact fuel mileage with atv's, seeing as how they are used so differently from owner to owner, ride to ride. EFI seems to help with fuel consumption when the vehicle is cruising, but when you hammer the throttle, it will use fuel no matter what. The single cylinder EFI quads seem to get better fuel mileage than the twins, but again, it all depends. I heard of a rider who owned a Grizzly 660 carb, then switched to a Outlander 800 twin EFI and when crusing around the Outlander got MUCH better fuel mileage, close to 25mpg. But again, romp the throttle on that 800, and say goodbye to any sort of decent fuel mileage. Just what he said, don't know for sure.

I have also heard that Honda Rincon's and King Quad 700's get excellent fuel mileage for a big bore. Altho, these big bores are at the smaller end horsepower-wise so that makes sense too. I do know one of my buddy's neighbours has a King Quad 700 and it generally gets much better ranges to a tank of gas then the big Kawi 650/700/750 vtwin carb quads when cruising around on old fire roads.

I have also heard of ppl getting pretty bad fuel mileage with the Grizz 700efi, and some ppl getting very good fuel mileage. Probably because some ppl love to romp on the throttle, while some ppl take it pretty easy. Most ppl have said tho that it generally gets much better fuel mileage than the old Grizz 660. Take it for what its worth.

I have to say I personally think the new Grizzly 700 and 550 atv's are probably two of the most well-rounded utility quads out right now. Not the best in any one area, but good at a lot of things.

And you know what, most ppl just feel right on one particular quad. No particular reason, it just feels right to them. That alone can make or break a decision, so go at least sit on a lot of quads, then focus on the one that feels the best to you.

I personally am smaller of stature (I'm short) so sitting on the big vtwin Kawi's and Outlanders just isn't as comfortable for me as the single cylinder quads. I can handle any quad allright, but its a comfort thing. But then, after sitting on a big sled all winter, getting on any quad is a big difference, the quad is so much lighter feeling and smaller.

HP Ratings from Carb, listed highest to lowest hp.

AC 1000_________65.84 hp
Can Am 800______61.7 hp
Can Am 650______55.4 hp
Brute 750 Carb____50.1 hp
Polaris 800_______50.1 hp
(Older Sportsman 800__48.3hp)
Brute 750 EFI_____49.8 hp
King Quad 750____49.6 hp
King 700_________48.5 hp
Brute Force 650i Carb__46.5hp
Grizzly 700________45.6 hp
Polaris 700_______44.3 hp
Brute 650SRA_____41.4hp
AC 700 H1_______41.4 hp
AC 700__________41.4 hp
Grizzly 660_______40.9 hp
Can Am 500______40.4 hp
AC 650 H1_______39.3 hp
Rincon 680_______38.5 hp
Grizzly 550________36.9 hp
King 450_________36.7 hp

Here's the list I found, same as what Jumbofrank's with a few more quads added. I believe the Sportman 500 is around 36hp, Vinson 500 was around 34hp, Outlander 400 around 30hp. They used to be on an older list I saw, forget where that was tho.

-Krait

Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Moto Psycho

Thanks Krait. On the Polaris forum they're saying the Sportsman 500 EFI is 36 HP and the 500 H.O. with a carb is 34.5. That seems to fit right in with the Carb figures on the other modelss. I may have already said it but my EFI gets the same miles on a 4.1 gallon tank as my old carb version did on 5.25 gallons. That's whether I'm trail riding, hill climbing or whatever.

A few horses difference between any two models is pretty insignificsnt as far as working or cruising and to me doesn't justify a bigger engine. To me and a lot of other people in the 6' tall neighborhood fit the fit and feel of Polaris' better than the Japanese brands. Someone on another thread says the Sportsman has the worst ergonomics of any quad ever, but over 1,000,000 of us disagree. I road my friend's Grizzly 660 and it REALLY didn't feel right to me. He's a few inches shorter than me and loves it. The way a quad fits you is very important. If you hop on and it's like putting on your favorite pair of blue jeans, and it will do what you want it to, take it home with you. That's more important than the brand, model, or HP.

Another thing people need to look at is towing capacity, if you ever plan on towing, or pulling stumps, etc. An AC 700 H1 can only tow 55% of what a Sportsman 800 can, but neither one will burn a belt doing it. I'm a Polaris man for now but I always check the specs to see which quad from any manufacturer will or will not do what I need it too. If I never hauled anything or plowed snow I might get one of the Jap 450s for trail riding, but I'm on a one quad budget. The 4x4 autos with IRS are the only real choice for me.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

Well I spent all weekend in mud and water. Water was up to the seat a few times. Never had a lick of trouble with the belt. Towed lots of heavy logs around. Pulled heavy loads in the trailer through the timber and mud. Hauled rock, scrap metal and hedge posts and barbed wire. Also dragged an old car frame across the creek and through the timber. Probably a good mile through the timber. Took a little while and I was definitely cursing on more than one occasion but no belt issues.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Moto Psycho

Thanks Cap'n.

Question answered: A belt <u>doesn't</u> get smoked in the mud.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah that sounds about right for the Sportsman 500HO as well. Any quad within a few hp of another will pretty darn close powerwise, if not the same. Vtwins generally make more torque and have better lowend power than single cylinders. Altho, the Rotax vtwins in the Canams make tons of power thruout the whole powerband. Some ppl will say singles make more torque, I don't have any solid data or proof to dispute that, but every vtwin I have been on has felt like it has much more torque and lowend than a comparable hp single.

That is funny Jumbo about your buddy, I love the way Yamaha's feel as well. Never drove a Grizz, but sitting on them, and driving the smaller Kodiaks 400/450's with irs, just fits me better than the big frame quads etc. Altho I have to say they have terrible handlebars, fine for general cruisin' around I guess, but for me I would have to change the handle bars. At least its pretty simple with Grizz's, no ignition or pod to relocate or create a bracket for, just take off the old ones and slap new ones on.

-Krait

Old 06-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Moto Psycho

Did the Grizzly's bars feel too short to you?

I think changing handlebars on a Sportsman with it's pod would be more trouble than it's worth, but I never knew anyone that wanted to. It's pretty easy to adjust them up or down. Just take 3 screws out, pull the top off the pod, and the 4 screws are there just like other quads. It only takes a few minutes.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

No, it wasn't a height thing, it was the degree that they are turned in towards the rider. All 'Utes a some degree of turn-in, but Yamaha's have a lot it seems. If you don't turn the bars a lot at extreme angles, and don't rip too fast on tight trails, I am sure they are fine for most ppl.

I find that a handle bar with less turn-in, like more of a dirtbike style bar, I have much better control and have a better grip on the bars at extreme angles. I find it much more comfortable on long rides as well, easier on the wrists. Check out Grizzlycentral or talk to someone who has changed the bars on their Grizz, says it is fantastic and really makes a difference, don't know one single person who has changed the bars and didn't like it. Usually to get the shallower degree of turn-in, you need to use an aftermarket bar generally designed for dirt bikes or sport quads, so to combat the decrease in height you can purchase risers that bring the bars right back up to whatever height you might like within the range of the cables.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-...ems.cgi?subcat_id=256

Also Height Adjustable Risers, for sleds but works for quads too:

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-...ems.cgi?subcat_id=289

Also, Rox's personal Grizz 700 with height adjust. risers and fasst flexx bars:

http://www.roxdefinedimages.com/grizzly_700/

And finally, a good review of a similar setup:

http://www.atvpt.com/roxbarrisers.htm

That last link you can see what I mean about 'turn-in', or 'sweep', don't know how else to describe it lol. Good review, and you can buy lots of different bars in different rises, turn-in, prices etc.

-Krait

Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

Also, I agree most 'ute quads have handlebar pods, so it makes it much more difficult to customize your controls. Grizzly 550/660/700, and Outlander 500/650/800 are the only ones that I know of that don't have handlebar pods/ignitions.

Oh wait, I think the Arctic Cat 366 might be another one too lol.

-Krait

Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Moto Psycho

Holy crap. I didn't know those bars had so much bend in them. I think my carpal tunnel syndrome would have me cursing if I rode a Yammy. The Rox bars look good to me. I've seen risers that were basically just a block of metal, and not adjustable.

Quick Reply: Why does a belt get smoked in mud?