Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Why does a belt get smoked in mud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does a belt get smoked in mud?

Actually the quad in the review at ATVPT is a Suzuki Twin Peaks 700 (Kawi Prairie 700), the Yamaha's have a little more sweep than that I think lol. Also I think the Polaris might have close to the same amount of sweep as the Peaks, you wouldn't notice it at all until you took a good hard look from the top and had the bars adjusted to show the sweep with the pod and cables off. Even the Peaks with stock bars isn't the most comfortable on long rides, my buddy use to have one and after a particularly long day of riding with lots of 4wd, mud, rocks, etc he had very sore wrists/arms for about a week. I think a lot of that reason was the degree of sweep, not too mention arm pump from not having a steering stabilizer, and the stiff thumb throttle on those big Kawi's.

-Krait

Old 06-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Also before this gets out of hand, I DON'T own a Grizz, just from what I've seen from other ppl and from my own experiences sitting on them and riding Kodiaks/Big Bears compared to other quads/dirt bikes I've ridden.

-Krait

Old 06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

i would guess the most likely reason a belt would get smoked when the quad is spinning in the mud is that water seeped into the v-belt drive casing and is letting the belt slip. if that starts to happen and you keep on the throttle its only a matter of time.

i would check on the soundness of the little drain plug that is at the bottom of the V-belt casing.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer

I was amazed how comfortable my Polaris is! It feels like I'm cruising thru the forest in a caddy! I havent rode much before I owned this so my experience is limited, but it's like night and day!!

Smoking a clutch in mud (prolly wet?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BcvDARW7jk

Jumbo--my 500 came with a plow, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:04 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: drewbad

I was amazed how comfortable my Polaris is! It feels like I'm cruising thru the forest in a caddy! I havent rode much before I owned this so my experience is limited, but it's like night and day!!

Smoking a clutch in mud (prolly wet?): <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BcvDARW7jk
">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BcvDARW7jk
</a>

Jumbo--my 500 came with a plow, so I'll let you know how it goes.</end quote></div>

I plowed my street with my 500 when the "storm of the century" closed down a bunch of cities about 5 winters ago. It does get the engine pretty warm, but it usually doesn't overheat. The 4x4 works great. Plowing in low gear doesn't hurt the belt. No problems at all.