Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2 up Best Available Can-am vs Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 up Best Available Can-am vs Polaris

mtnrunner, I have ridden but never owned a Can-Am and can say they are a blast to ride, BUT, I'm not sure your dealer is being completely honest with you...the frames have been a well known issue with Can-Ams from the start and several dealers I have talked to in this area have mentioned having issues with this problem and recently one told me he is having problems selling Can-Ams to repeat customers because of problems related to the frame and the bad "rep" it has earned them in this area!
He was actually a bit upset when the new machines were announced and told me "All we need, more HP and no frame upgrade!"

Incidentally, I may be mistaken, but it is my understanding that the new skid plate is actually PLASTIC, which does very little to add any type of real strength to the Can-AM frame!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jokout

Incidentally, I may be mistaken, but it is my understanding that the new skid plate is actually PLASTIC, which does very little to add any type of real strength to the Can-AM frame!</end quote></div>

Heavy plastic would be fine. All it needs to do is stop the impact from causing deformation in the spar. It doesn't necessarily need to be metal.

A friend of mine has one of the first outlanders and he put plastic skids on it. There weren't any on the aftermarket when he got his machine so he fabbed them himself. They're made out of thick UHMWPE or something similar. A real heavy polyethylene of some sort. They've got a lot of gouges and scratches on them but there hasn't been any visible damage to the frame spar. He's beat the machine mercilessly but so far due to the skids he hasn't experienced a problem with the frame. he's broken other stuff but not the frame.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

I am wanting to buy an outlander Max 800 XT, if one of you guys who are so concerned with the frame want to sell.... sell it to me. I will take the risk of the rumored weak frames. I live near St. Louis, MO. contact me at cpaul@ssg.petsmart.com.
Thanks!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MC Ballpeen

Who makes the new 850 and 550 engines?</end quote></div>

Polaris make the 850 twin right here in the good ol' U.S. of A. The 550 is a Fuji. Fuji has mde millions of engines for Polaris and they're good ones.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Touch choice but I ended up with an '08 Can-am 650 XT MAX. The Polaris kept growing on me but the Rotax engine along with the TTi rear suspension sold me along with the very competetive price I got leaving mula left over for the highly needed skids.

Great comments. I like this forum, hardly a troll and intelligent, experienced feedback. Thanks all for your help!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats! Hope it treats you well.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer

i myself would opt for the can am max xt models. you can get a can am 500 that will easily hang with the 600 class atvs or a 650 max that will hang with (and beat most of) the 800 class atvs. and when you opt for the xt model you get nicer rims and tires, front and rear racks and a 3000 lb winch. sure theyre a little more but you get what you pay for.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

Figured I'd throw in my 2 cents and recommend the AC TRV but he already bought the Canned Ham. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

As far as skids go, this company has been making them for the outlanders since the beginning.

http://www.hebcodistributing.com/4600.html

They have them in both aluminum and plastic.

One way to strenthen the frame itself is to cut off the tail section by the trailer hitch. Tack weld 3 - 1" square tubes together (1/8 wall).
Slide them up inside the frame(tight fit) Leave some protruding and cut off excess.
Weld tail section with hitch back on. This is what owners of Outlanders have been doing up her in the northeast. It does add almost 30lbs to the frame, but it's nearly impossible to bend or break it.

Also recommended by reviewers, is adding a bash plate to the front of the frame to cover the front of the "ski".