Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Ebay winches

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay winches

I'm looking around for a cheap ebay winch and noticed they're a little different and fewer in number than they were last time I looked.

I was looking at a Gorilla brand 3000 pound with synthetic rope. An Xtreme (god how I hate anything marketed as "extreme" misspelled even more so) an Xtreme 3000 Pound with steel cable. It looks like the viper model doesn't come with a mount for my particular machine (a gen 2 magnum) so it's out I guess as I have no time or desire to screw around fabbing one up.

Anyway, it looks like all of these have changed quite a bit since I last checked them out. Any advice on which is the best. So far, the Gorilla looks like the best bet. I'm gonna use it for plow work as well so synthetic is almost mandatory.

It is going on an old ATV that will probably end up as a secondary back-up ride in the next year so I really don't want to spend the money on a warn right now.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:56 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Ebay winches

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I really don't want to spend the money on a warn right now. </end quote></div>

Arn't Gorilla expensive also? There axle sure are.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ebay winches

All of the Ebay winches are about the same price actually. Gorilla might be a bit cheaper. Looks like a better winch though. Warn is much higher.

Is the gorilla winch outfit the same one that makes the axles?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Ebay winches

I think the Venom ATV winches are just older model Warn winches...

I have a warn and got it for $69 when I bought my quad... each winter I take it apart, inspect it, clean it and re-grease it. takes about 4-5 hours if I do it one sitting... but it is worth it..

A quick glance on Gorilla's website looks like they are modeled after older warn winches as well...

Personally when my warn does finally die... I will try a Venom or Gorilla winch... considering they cost about 50% less than the warns!

Old 10-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ebay winches

CraZySteve,
That's interesting about servicing your winch. I have one of the import winches, it suites my needs, I use it for my plow. Anyways. it squeels when in the cold just about every time I lift the plow. drives me nuts. How tough of a job is it to take one apart and clean them up.
Can you give us some tips on do's and don'ts? I figured there were bushings and no bearings making all the noise.
Thanks
Deerkiller

Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ebay winches

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Deerkiller

CraZySteve,

That's interesting about servicing your winch. I have one of the import winches, it suites my needs, I use it for my plow. Anyways. it squeels when in the cold just about every time I lift the plow. drives me nuts. How tough of a job is it to take one apart and clean them up.

Can you give us some tips on do's and don'ts? I figured there were bushings and no bearings making all the noise.

Thanks

Deerkiller</end quote></div>

Think about it, of course you should service your winch... I mean after all it gets wet / muddy / dusty etc...

Do you have a Warn winch? If so I can email ya an exploded diagram of the entire winch -- that way you won't forget a piece or put it together wrong... All I simply do is tear it apart -- clean it -- regrease it and back together it goes.. there are no bearings in my Warn winch -- just brass bushings at best.. as I had said.. start to finish (to include taking it off the quad) is a 4-5 hour job max.. I always did it in pieces though..

Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Ebay winches

I'v had my Warn 2500 now for five years and while doing commercial plowing (sidewalks small parking lots) have never had it fail (except for a cable breakege do to wear). I have never seviced it once nither. I should to take it off and take a look at it but I think that I got my 69.00 worth out of it and if it does fail I will buy another just like it might even go to a 3000lbs one insted thoe I never real have had a use for one that big!

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ebay winches

Thanks CraZySteve,
I sent a PM
Deerkiller

Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ebay winches