Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch won't keep snow blade up...would a new winch do it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch won't keep snow blade up...would a new winch do it?

I added a snow blade to my Yamaha Grizzly 600 for clearing the drive, and it works great...but I noticed as I was driving around that eventually the blade would start scraping the ground. So, I'd winch it all the way up....and within a minute, it'd be back down. So I winched it up, and then went and put a foot on the top of the blade, and sure enough, it was slowly spooling out.

The winch I have is a Cabelas Trail Tamer 1500. I figure that either it doesn't have a brake, or the brake doesn't work, or the winch simply isn't geared enough to keep the blade from slowly creeping back down.

So looking for a new winch, I came across the Venon 3000 on ebay, and haven't heard BAD things about it. It says it has a dynamic brake, but not mechanical. So what I want to know is....will buying a new winch fix that problem, or do I specifically need some kind of feature on the new winch to ensure it holds the blade up? Like a dynamic AND mechanical brake?

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

You have this problem with cheeper winches as they dont have a line brake on them and it causes this problem you will have the same issue with the Venom or Gorrila. You need to buy a Warn or a Ramsey that has a good brake system! I know that the Warn uses a disc brake system that works great on my plow setup!

Welcome to the forum!

Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I don't don't know about other winches but Warn (and Polaris) <u>without</u> a mechanical brake will hold it up for days at a time if not indefinately.

EDIT: It holds for at least a couple weeks at a time.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well that's what I was wondering...the atv shop that put on the blade said that they normally put a warn 2500 on (when the ATV doesn't come with its own winch), and that just the gearing is enough to keep the blade up...it doesn't need a mechanical brake.

Is that what a dynamic brake is? Just the gearing ratio keeping it from unspooling?

Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

You have this problem with cheeper winches as they dont have a line brake on them and it causes this problem you will have the same issue with the Venom or Gorrila. You need to buy a Warn or a Ramsey that has a good brake system! I know that the Warn uses a disc brake system that works great on my plow setup!

Welcome to the forum!</end quote></div>

"Good" is a relative term. i have a viper 2500 and it works excelent for plowing. it has help up my blade for 5months at a time with no sign of sliping. idk about breaking but when i let off the button that cable and any load on it stops too, no slipage. but if internals get worn out on winches slipping is only the begining. usually is wil get worce. if you can find someone, you can get that winch rebuilt if its brand name.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cherokee99

"Good" is a relative term. i have a viper 2500 and it works excelent for plowing. it has help up my blade for 5months at a time with no sign of sliping. idk about breaking but when i let off the button that cable and any load on it stops too, no slipage. but if internals get worn out on winches slipping is only the begining. usually is wil get worce. if you can find someone, you can get that winch rebuilt if its brand name.</end quote></div>
Ya well if you have a winch that has a dynamic braking system see what happens when you loose electrical power and tell me how good the braking system is!
I dont care what anyone says in the end you get what you pay for, you dont need to take my word for it eventualy you will find out for yourself as many have even beelzerob!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cherokee99

"Good" is a relative term. i have a viper 2500 and it works excelent for plowing. it has help up my blade for 5months at a time with no sign of sliping. idk about breaking but when i let off the button that cable and any load on it stops too, no slipage. but if internals get worn out on winches slipping is only the begining. usually is wil get worce. if you can find someone, you can get that winch rebuilt if its brand name.</end quote></div>

Ya well if you have a winch that has a dynamic braking system see what happens when you loose electrical power and tell me how good the braking system is!

I dont care what anyone says in the end you get what you pay for, you dont need to take my word for it eventualy you will find out for yourself as many have even beelzerob!</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] my viper has a racheting drum lock thingy, its not dynamic breaking. but when i let off the button she locks. i have run out of juice before, i was stupid and turned off my quad, drum locked where it was and i was all good. exept i had to pull start.
but true,DODGE57HEMI, you do get what you pay for. the plus side to a ramsey or warn is there are rebuild kits. as for mine when it goes im forced to buy another.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

I find it interesting just how worked up some can get about winches, I have seen all brands fail! There is no product that is immune to it! It all comes down to what you are comfortable paying and what you will be using it for...Personally I have the Viper 3000 on my 400HO and use it quite heavily for pulling logs, getting "unstuck", plowing snow and any one of many uses that tend to pop up including hanging my entire bike from a tree limb just to test the winch out shortly after it was installed...it held the 400 in that tree for a couple hours while I installed custom aluminum skid plates and A-arm guards!

Side note...remember to turn off the fuel shut-off if your going to try this at home!!!

Can you say "shade tree mechanic?!"

Old 12-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jokout

I find it interesting just how worked up some can get about winches, I have seen all brands fail! There is no product that is immune to it! It all comes down to what you are comfortable paying and what you will be using it for...Personally I have the Viper 3000 on my 400HO and use it quite heavily for pulling logs, getting "unstuck", plowing snow and any one of many uses that tend to pop up including hanging my entire bike from a tree limb just to test the winch out shortly after it was installed...it held the 400 in that tree for a couple hours while I installed custom aluminum skid plates and A-arm guards!

Side note...remember to turn off the fuel shut-off if your going to try this at home!!!

Can you say "shade tree mechanic?!"</end quote></div>

Well I find it quite interesting that people dont mind spending $8000.00 on a quad then worry about spending $500.00 on a quality/reliable winch [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]!
Not something that I would take my chances on for my type of riding or my $8000.00 quad!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew I couldnt be the only one to hang an ATV in a tree. I did it just for the hell of it. It looked like a fish out of water up there.

I've had good luck with Warn and Polaris winches. I'll likely keep buying them as long as they work well for me. I'm not taking a chance on something else that my friends and I have NO experience with at all.

Quick Reply: Winch won't keep snow blade up...would a new winch do it?