Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

NEED NEW UTILITY QUAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-1999, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOOD MORNING EVERYBODY, NEED HELP WITH MAKING CHOICE OF NEW UTILITY QUAD. HAVE A 95 SCRAMBLER, AND LOVE IT, BUT NEED SOMETHING TO DO A LITTLE MORE WORK. HAVE LOOKED AT MAGNUMS AND SPROTSMANS, PRARIES, KODIAKS, FOREMAN-S AND FOREMAN 400. WOULD LIKE SOME MORE INFO, FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH EXPERIENCE WITH THE DIFFERENT BIKES. I WANT A 4 STROKE, 4X4, IN THE 350 TO 500 CC RANGE. NO BASHING PLEASE, BUT WOULD LIKE TO HEAR GOOD AND BAD ABOUT YOUR QUAD. I AM KEEPING THE SCRAMBLER, SO I WONT BE WORRIED ABOUT LOOSING THE SPORTING SIDE OF IT. ANY MODELS I HAVE MISSED THAT FIT THE BILL, THROW IN THE BAG ALSO.
THANKS,
KEN.

------------------

Old 07-22-1999, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

I have the 99 grizzly i know its out of your range but i pull lots of big trees with mine and it has a huge carying capacity check it out before ya say know is all i have to say

Mike,99 GRIZZLY

Old 07-23-1999, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

I just recently bought a 99 Arctic Cat 500, and I have been very happy with it so far. I was also looking at some of the quads you mentioned, especially the Polaris Sport/Utes, but decided on the AC 500 b/c I wanted the engine compression braking on long downhills and I really liked the specs on the engine. Here are my likes/dislikes so far.

1. TORQUE! I rarely have to change gears, just ride in 2nd or 3rd high range, b/c it will go up all but the steepest of hills in 3rd or even 4th gear, I just don't want to push it. In low range, you can really go slooow over rocks,etc without any hesitation.

2. Ride...It rides a lot better than most I
have ridden, except for the Polaris'

3. Fit and Finish..first rate

Dislikes
1. Steering effort..with 26" stock titans that came on the 99 models it can be a handful

2. Single Braking Lever...Most Polaris owners
wouldn't even think this was a problem.

3. Price...You mean they're not free?

Overall, I feel I made the choice best for
me, just wanted to give you another option in the Grizzly/Foreman/Sportsman arena. But
you can't go wrong with any of them.

------------------

Old 07-23-1999, 02:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have the same thing Rob has, a 99 AC 500. I'm not recommending it to you or saying its better than others, but I will give you my experience with it over 600 miles.

Like Rob said, the engine is a mule. Tons of low end torque. It feels like it will pull anything, and then you remember that there is low range. Its not a rocket off the line, but mine tops out at an indicated 58 mph. Too fast really for this size machine.

It has a ride better than anything I have ridden other than Praries and Polaris's. The rear suspension is semi independant meaning that the rear axle can tilt right or left in addition to its up and down motion. This is a nice feature, and it is patented too, so they must be proud of it.

Being a manual transmission, it will slowly crawl down steep hills, and the hydraulic disc brakes are as good as I have seen on a utility quad. The footbrake on the 99 model however is worthless as ***** on a boar hog.

The rocker shifter is no big deal, two rides and you are use to it. The displays are nice, especially the gear indicators. The reverse engagement is as smooth as I have seen also, and it has high and low range reverse. The bike will also start in any gear by depressing the hand brake.

It is a very stable feeling quad on sidehills, and steep grades. Very predictable in rough terrain.

The downside is the steering. It is the heaviest steering bike produced today. This may be due to the 26" tires that come stock. If you have a problem with putting some muscle into low speed turns and pavement riding, then this is not the bike for you. This is my only complaint.

It has a solid frame, good engineering on the plastic, and solid racks with good reinforcement. This would make an excellent farm bike, though I would prefer the sportier feel and performance of a Sportsman myself. I don't use mine for work that much though.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 07-23-1999, 04:24 PM
Range Rover

All the rides forementioned are Excellent
choices. I own 2 Grizzlys(98,99 myself),
and have nothing but good to say about them,
but after testing the 2000 Kodiak, I fear
that both Bruins have been regulated to second tier status.

Make a list of what you want in your utility
Quad, then go down to all Dealers in your area(most sell multiple brands that should make that easier) and make arrangements for
test drives, then make your best deal.

Good Luck with you're Choice

Old 07-23-1999, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

Obviously, you need to focus on what you are going to do with the machine. Do you want to go deep mudding, casual trail riding, mountain climbing, snow plowing or what?

The aforementioned Arctic Cats are good for alot of things, but having owned one I can tell you they do have some negative aspects as will any machine you buy. For me, the size of the machine was probably the critical thing to decide. The big Cats and Polarises as well as the Grizz are ponderous and hard to handle in really rough terrain. The lighter weight, easier steeering and turn radius make the smaller machines better for timbered and rocky terrain.

On the other hand, if you spend most of your time blasting down wide open trails and going through the occasional mudhole, bigger is better.

The best all around, or in betweener I have ridden is the Honda 450. It's not as big as the Cat, Grizz or 500 Polaris's, but it does have big bore power and easy steering. The worst thing about the 450 is the turn radius.

I bought a new 99 Big Bear a while ago because I wanted a more nimble handling, tight quarters machine for the mountains. I am fairly happy with it, but it has some quirks that are quite annoying. The worst quirk is the top speed. I didn't consider this before I bought it, and now I suddenly realize how nice it was to be able to go 50 on my old Arctic Cat. It does handle well and has good power, and is a great woods & rocks machine. However, I sure get sick of putting along down county roads when I go to spray weeds on the farm. It has no speedo, but I'd guess that 40 mph is absolute tops. Cruising speed is probably more like 35 or less.

I would hope that the 2000 Big Bear would have a faster top speed. If so, it might be my next choice...

Good Luck

Old 07-24-1999, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

How close do you live to the dealersips. The Polaris Magnum, grizzly, and AC 500 are very close in performance. Thus they are all in the same class. Your other quad is a polaris, did you have a good experience with that quad and dealer. If so you should probably do business with them again. The honda rides it reliability. It however doesn't haul or tow as much as the larger quads. The sportsman has by far the largest ground clearance (11"). The grizzly is the fastest. I think if you are going to spend this much money, you should go with the sportsman. It has won every quad shootout in the magazines. If you do not need the independent suspension, save a few bucks and go with the magnum (exact same engine and towing/carrying capacity). All polaris utility quads can be purchased with engine braking systems (EBS). It comes standard on the sportsman now. The magnum beat the Grizzly in the latest utility shootout.

As far as honda and reliability goes: I personally think if you maintain a quad properly, no matter the brand, it will be plenty reliable. Different people have had different experiences with different brands. The honda is an excellent quad, but it is not the hardest working quad.

One not mentioned is the Kawasaki prarie. This is an excellent quad. Not the biggest, but a very good quad.

Old 07-24-1999, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

EVERYBODY, THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO SO FAR, KEEP IT COMING. I LIKE MY SCRAMBLER, HAS BEEN RELIABLE AND FUN, AND NO PLANS TO GET RID OF IT. I AM LOOKING REAL HARD AT THE MAGNUM AND THE KAW-PRARIE. WILL BE DOING SOME FARM WORK, WOODS RIDING AND IN THE MOUNTAINS. ALSO 6' 225 LBS. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR THE BIGGEST THING OUT THERE, JUST A GOOD UTILITY QUAD THAT WILL SEE A LITTLE FUN RIDING ALSO. RELIABILITY IS A BIG THING, AND I HAVENT HAD MUCH DEALINGS WITH ANY LOCAL DEALERS, BUT WILL DO A LOT OF RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING. AGAIN KEEP THE INFO COMING. THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS SITE, AND KEEP USING IT.

------------------

Old 07-25-1999, 05:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well now! This is the first post I've seen from Gordon since the site redesign. Even more exciting than that, He recommended a Polaris. Good to see you again Gordon!

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 07-27-1999, 08:12 AM
Trailblazer

I don't get a guilty conscience from recommending a Polaris to a Polaris rider. Furthermore, I have a certain respect for a Scrambler rider who acknowledges that the Scrambler is not the perfect 'do it all' machine for all uses and purposes.

Quick Reply: NEED NEW UTILITY QUAD