Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Hummer of ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2000, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, Max 6x6 is right. If you wanted something to go anywhere it would be a Max. But!!! It doesn't have any suspension and isn't sporty at all. It doesn't really compare to driving a quad. By the way,those things can climb over some huge trees.But still, if you want a sporty yet utitlity related machine, a quad is for you. A Max would be awesomem if you did nothing but traverse through deep swamps or ponds. Wait a second, you can do that with a quad too! One word:Bridge. But seriously, the Max goes anywhere, but with no sportiness. A quad goes everywhere you would expect it to go, but with sportiness. The Max is kinda' like a floating BobCat skid-steer loader when you drive it.That's what I think, anyway.
Buenos Dias

Old 01-03-2000, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

"Floating Bobcat"?? OUCH! I know that hurt NICE BHOG

Old 01-03-2000, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Wonder if anyone makes a front end loader for the Max? HaHa

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 01-03-2000, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Max go to--http://www.maxatvs.com/--. Click Max IV. and read the first sentence in the 3rd paragraph. It states:
"Try the 26" tire option for extra ground
clearance."

Yes I have taken 99 feet of water and 1 foot of mud on my quad. In fact I crossed a pond that was longer a cross than 99 feet and it had more thatn 1 foot of mud at the bottom.

I know for a fact that Arctic Cat and Polaris offer other tires in there accessory catalogs.

Old 01-03-2000, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

i've seen kits where u can make your atv go in water.

------------------
Evan Johnson 99 400EX 88 LT250R

I apologize ahead of time for my bad spelling/typing

Old 01-03-2000, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Max your like the red headed step child of atving (i think i saw that some where else) You see 4 wheels and 6 wheels are as diffrent as night and day and and we are in a quad era and not a max era ....so quit with your smart a$$ comments and face it the noone wants a max

------------------

Old 01-03-2000, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Don't even think about bringing up the 8 X 8 against the 6x6!!! That will get no reply!
So, Boner--Cats DO like H2O??

Old 01-03-2000, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

It better. It will like it even better when I put some tires on it.

Old 01-04-2000, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

MAX!!! What is wrong with you!???!!!?!?!? Dont you understand the concept of the topic sentence of this forum, its for ATV's not some suspension-less tank like, skid-steering 6by6! Why Are you so insecure about your Machine? We all know you like our 6by6, Or mayeb not you seem so insecure about you machine, if you werent you wouldnt have to put down everythis that isnt a MAx but we all preferr 4by4s so you have already stated you oppinion about 5o times! I think we get the point. So unless you have a comment that helps out "Design_Engineer" I think i can say this for all the other people in here.......................We dont want ur Crap.

I dont mean to be rude but this is getting so stupid!

hope i didnt offend anyone TOO Much

Chris
[This message has been edited by clindst (edited 01-03-2000).]

Old 01-04-2000, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

Ya know, I thought the new year would bring with it a change in dear young Max's attitude. I can see I was dead wrong. So much for hoping.

That being said, lets ONCE AGAIN, pick apart Max's responses, as some of us love to do....

Why go for a Hummer when you could have a tank? Max will out preform a Hummer and any other 4x4. Here's why:
((1. A Max with tracks will out mud a Hummer. The Hummer could take as much as three feet of mud (all mud no water) while the Max with tracks will take four feet of mud before it even sinks in.))

Try making a real Apples to Apples comparison just ONCE please? Go slap some tracks on a Hummer and see what it does. Before you say it, don't. There IS a company that manufcatures track replacements for most every pickup built today.

((2. The Max is 56" wide which is small enough for nearly any wooded trail. It has skid steer which allows for easy movement around trees and obsticles. Tight turning is what you really need for the woods.))

Yes, but it will NOT and I repeat will NOT fit through a 48 inch wide space. I checked back through some text books from my college days and I have to see where your bath-tub on wheels can defy the laws of physics...maybe I am wrong here but I doubt it. Also, you mentioned before that you simply run the wheels over the tree and bring the vehicle at an angle. Well, while you're doing that, I fit through that 48 inch wide space and I'm now roughly 1/2 mile ahead of you and gaining distance rapidly. Should I stop and wait? Or...should I let you go around and find a wider path? I guess it would get mighty old might quick having to traverse 48 inch wide or less obstacles eh?

((3. Max will swim across any depth of water just like a boat. If you feel you need more water speed just add an outboard motor. No need to hastle with a boat and ATV, with a Max you have both.))

If I wanted a boat, I would have ordered a boat. I bet you wouldn't want to get caught in a current that exceeded 1-2 knots. Do so and you can kiss that Max goodbye.

((4. Max offers a bigger engine than any other ATV on the market. It is a 725cc Kohler with enough power to carry four adults and just about anything you can hook to it. My 14hp Max II took three people everywhere yesterday. I'd like to see a 4x4 go over a 24" log while carrying three people.))

You never will understand that displacement, especially in this realm of small engines means NOTHING. Take, for imstance, the 652.8 CC Rotax engine that rests inside the new DS-650, it makes 52 HP and 42.7 ft/lbs. of torque. Lets see, if my math is correct, thats nearly 75 CC's less than the biggest engine provided for the Max line. That trashes your theory of displacement now, doesn't it? What fun is it carrying people when they can ride their own quads and experience what I am at the controls? I have yet to find a log I couldn't traverse.

((5. The Max IV has bigger stock tires than any other ATV (26x12x12). This gives a full 10" of unobstucted ground clearance. I believe that is ACTUALLY more than the SP500. The SP500 will sit lower with only you on it and really get lower when you hook on a trailer. The Max's 10" of clearance is about 24" wide giving room to clear wider objects. Once you get used to the Max you will find that ground clearance is really not that important with six wheels.))

So, once again the same rules that apply to all others out there don't apply to you and your bathtub on wheels? You couldn't travel the trails I ride on, period. No matter what size tires your Max came with. I believe someone pointed out your Max doesn't come standard with the 26" tires anyway so your point is ignored.

((6. Max has a top speed of 30mph which is more than enough for off roading. Instead of buying mods for a quad you could buy a different engine for the Max with higher RPMs so it would go faster. If you go faster than 30mph it is safe to say that your terrain is pretty tame. If you need to go 60mph, get a truck.))

30 mph may be fine for you, but for the 99.9% of us out there that did NOT purchase a Max, 30 mph is too slow. As for the HP question, you once again failed to understand the difference between HP and Torque. The larger Kohler engines don't rev higher at all. They suck more fuel/air and make more HP/Torque yet they still fay WAY behind the Japanese engines you see in the quads these days. You really should go to school to learn about the fundementals of engine operation.

((7. Max with tracks can drive in ANY amount of snow just like a snowmobile. With only about 1 PSI on the ground, Max can drive where you can't walk.))

I really could care less. There's nothing you can say or do that will convince me a Max is the way to go. Period.

In Mud. In Snow. In Water. Incredible.
MaxRules

Only in your world.

Quick Reply: Hummer of ATVs