Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Hummer of ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2000, 03:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember that the Hummer has amzing 4x4 capibilities, not just rock solid. Do you wanna rank so of those quads now?

Evan,
Please adhere to the ATV Connection Forum guidelines regarding embedded
graphics/gimmicks. They take up too much bandwidth which could otherwise be
used for posting text messages.
ATVBBS

Evan Johnson 400EX/LT250R

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 01-11-2000).]

Old 01-06-2000, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

A few reasons why the Grizz isn't the "Hummer":
-It gets really hot after a short ride
-It has "3wd"
-The belt gets wet easily
-It's jumpy when it gets fast
-It's a Yamaha
etc., etc.

Old 01-06-2000, 08:20 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Andy & bignasty. Just because the Grizz has the biggest engine does'nt mean anything. The Hummer has been around for a long time, and has a proven track record for reliability AND durability. I think that the Kingquad and the Foreman have lived up to the same qualifications.

Old 01-06-2000, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Speaking of Grizzlies, on a different forum, a guy with a Max IV went riding with a Yamaha Grizzly. He even said himself that the Grizzly outmudded him, and actually had to pull him out of the mudhole once when he got his Max stuck. He said the combination of speed the Griz could spin it's tires and the good ground clearance made it a better mudder. He also admired the suspension of the Griz because his Max beat him up pretty good. He also liked the speed of the Griz, which was left way behind when they were crossing fields. The truth comes out from a different Max owner other than Maxrules, since you'd never get the truth out of him!

Old 01-06-2000, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Since Max is going to ask any way. Which site was this?

Old 01-07-2000, 12:26 AM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, pleeeeease don't start the Max on this thread. LOL

[This message has been edited by r34 (edited 01-06-2000).]

Old 01-07-2000, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Where do people get the grizzly rides hot, of course its going to be hotter than other quads, its a 600cc engine that is air cooled, come on.
Atleast it doesn't break down on you. And no it dosen't slip especially for 99 and 00, i think people are thinking of polaris slippage, there the worst. If your grizzly does get wet from going over the seat, well you have a drain plug atleast, so you can pull the polaris home.
It has to be the most reliable bike second to honda and there is not too many people who would challenge that if they no better.

Old 01-07-2000, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Design_Engineer,

I would like to see that ranking if you don't mind. I am just curious which ones you think should go on top. Thank you very much for your time and opinion.

Old 01-07-2000, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

According to the owners in the forums I have talked to / heard from, and from a Yamaha/Polaris/Suzuki dealer, the Grizzly does ride hot. And yes because it's a 600cc air-cooled bike, but regardless of why, it still runs hot. And yes, they do have belt slipping even on the '99 models, but I haven't ridden with a '00 yet.

Old 01-07-2000, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

It seems to me that so far everyone is only comparing stock quads. They are not comparing what can be accomplished by modifying a quad. So with that said I would like to nominate the Honda Foreman 450 S/ES. I have a 1999 Foreman 450S that I believe is pretty close to the "Hummer" status. It has a locked front end giving it true 4 wheel drive all the time, 27x12x12 Vampire tires that give excellent traction in any condition ( not to mention their ability to lift a quad in deep water due to their size and bouyancy with extra air pressure), and they also increase your ground clearance. Next is the lift kit. With this added to the tires you get even more clearance. After that is the wheel spacers. This offsets the "tippy" feeling you may get with the added lift, and also helps get out of other already "rutted" mud holes. The next modification I've done to it is the high air intake aka "snorkel". Just like the Hummer I can go through water that completely covers the engine without fear of shutting off and sucking water into the engine. Last but not least, in my opinion, the Foreman 450 is the cream of the crop when it comes to ergonomics, attention to detail, and all of the neat displays you get. As far as an all around, run over anything, run through anything, climb over anything, and still be a rideable bike goes, the 450S is a mighty tough contender.

Remember, I am/did not slam any other quads, so don't take anything to serious about this guys.

I forgot to mention that I also added a "start in any gear switch", and reverse lights that only come on while in reverse.

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!"
SwampMonster

1999 Foreman 450S Locked, Lifted, Vamped, Snorkeled, and did I mention widened? (wheel spacers)

Quick Reply: Hummer of ATVs