Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Hunting Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2000, 08:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in hearing what kind of mods or accessories any of you all have done to your quads for hunting purposes. I'm thinking of getting sometime of gun holder but I hear that if you have a scoped gun that the scope can be misaligned from the vibrations and jolts. I went hunting for squirrels yesterday and I just put my slinged 22 around my back and hauled it that way but the clip dug into my back so I don't care for that way of carrying my gun into the field and I deffinetly don't want to carry 10+ pound Varmint rifle with its bipod on my back like this. I'm going Bobcat hunting tomorrow so any replies before then are thanked twice as much.

------------------
Jeremiah Lucas

1989 Yamaha Banshee & 99 Suzuki LT-F500F Quadrunner

Old 01-27-2000, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Venemous, I'd recommend a Kolpin gun boot and Mark IV mount. You then have a fleece-filled hard case protecting your firearm, cradled in a mount, secured by two hitch pins; the boot cover is secured by an additional hitch pin.

This setup is waterproof (as far as rain and other precipitation goes; not submersible), lockable (both scabbard-to-cover and scabbard-to-mount), accepts everything from black-powder rifles through shotguns to left- or right-handed bolt-action rifles with scopes up to 50 mm objective size, and your scope is unlikely to lose zero while riding there.

The mount holds the firearm entirely within the quad's dimensions (i.e, inside the tires), so you're not likely to get hung up in the thick stuff or damage your firearm by bashing it on a limb or something. The boot has slots and holes for tying it to a saddle if you ever need to carry a long gun while horseback.

Besides a good ATV setup, I've padlocked firearms in my Kolpin boot and checked it as baggage on airlines, thrown it in the bottom of a boat while railbird hunting (deflecting some kidding from the guides who suggest its employment as a boat paddle!), and crammed it into a van with three other guys and their gear without fear of damage a soft case might permit.

I've used the previous Kolpin mount, a versatile bracket; the new Mark IV cradle-type mount works better in my opinion, if you have room to mount it on your racks.

I think Suzuki is giving away Kolpin gun boots and mounts to customers buying new 500 cc Quadrunners . . . just kidding!

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 01-28-2000).]

Old 01-28-2000, 01:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

We have always used Kolpin gun boots, and we all have scopes. Never a problem of getting them out of alignment. It will work fine for you unless you are a special forces sniper taking 1,000 yard shots in high winds. Then you might need a silk pillow to carry it on.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 01-28-2000, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

Two million Candle Power Spot lights and a .50 caliber machine gun mounted to the front rack!

Now that is hunting machine!

Old 01-28-2000, 10:43 AM
Range Rover

Ryant,
That sounds like a poaching machine.....some people get the two confused.....

Old 01-28-2000, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

PJ,
It is only to be used during hunting season. You see you can only put 5 rounds into the .50 cal machine gun that has been modified to be semi automatic only! The two spot lights are to see when going in early and coming out late!

Perfectly legal!

This is a fun topic!
Ryan

Old 01-28-2000, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

I'm also sold on the kolpin gun boot. I've used one for about five years and it's held up great. It's weather proof and provides good protection ( I do know a guy that went over backwords on his machine with his Browning A-Bolt in a Kolpin boot and the wreck snapped his rifle in two, right through the grip. but this was a pretty hard wreck.) The gun boot is good for keeping your gun secure and protecting it from the elements and scratches.

I also believe that any ATV used for hunting is best equipped with a winch and the necessary equipment such as a ******/pulley block, tree strap, clevis, ect..

I also have heated grips and throttle, which are great when the weather turns cold like it does here in Utah. These items are great when plowing snow. I also have a tank bag which is great for wallets, binos, glasses ect.. I also have a Rubbermaid roughneck box that I bungee cord to the rear rack. It holds my winch accessories, T.P., tow strap, Fix-a-flat, rain gear, ect.. It keeps things organized and out of the weather.

Good luck outfitting your new machine. To me, half the fun of a new machine is accessorising (sp?) it.

Old 01-28-2000, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

What about the Rocket Launcher on the back? Does anyone like or use those front or rear rack bags and specifically the rear rack bag with the center of it being padded. Keep it coming fellows.

------------------
Jeremiah Lucas

1989 Yamaha Banshee & 99 Suzuki LT-F500F Quadrunner

Old 01-29-2000, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer

Super High Voltage Tazzer mounted to the winch. Just shoot - Zap - and drag back!