Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Utility ATV advanced rider course??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Utility ATV advanced rider course??

I know that there are basic rider saftey courses available and that is not what I am talking about.

What I would like to know is this.

Does anyone know of an advanced course that would teach a seasoned rider to get more out of their utility quad? I feel like I am a pretty good trail rider but I would like to be a great one. My buddies all have large bore machines and outclass me by 200-250cc's... That said more displacement may not always be the answer. While I will never keep up on an hill climb or straightaway. Maybe I could reduce my effort level while increaseing enjoyment level during the more technical sections. I ride with a fast competitive group and we are always pushing each other so short of upgradeing my 500 to a larger machine maybe I should look at myself and ask. "Can I become a better rider with some instruction and get more out of my machine and keep 8,000+ in my pocket"

If anyone knows of an offering somewhere on the East Coast or anywhere in the US or Canada I am sure more than just myself would benifit.

**************** that said I dont want to race and do not want a sport model I just want to go faster with less effort and be a better rider ****************

Old 10-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

I did find this link and it seems really cool and right down my alley but it is in Florida so it wont work for me in PA.

But this is the kinda thing I am talking about.

Ivor Wigham's European Rally and Performance Driving School of Florida: ATV Riding Course

Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Looks and sounds like a really neat course. Wish I was closer to Florida.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Most of the time people by big CC motors because they either think that they need It when in reality most either cant handle them or just want to show off there pocket book. Most nobody EVER takes in the fact of where and how they ride and buying the proper machine for the job. I look at it like this, It's like buying a elephant gun for a deer hunt. Sure it gets the job done but there are light better suited guns for the job!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

A large portion of the trails we ride are deep in the woods. A bunch of my day can be spent avoiding things like trees and rocks so I dont need to travel much more than 30mph at any given time. So while I did consider a larger quicker machine I could not justify the price and had to look at myself and my skill level and I think I have room for improvement.

I am going to play with the set up (shocks and tire preasure) and concentrate on body position and throttle control more to increase my skill level. I just wish there was a program here in PA,OH,VA,WV
cause I would see 2-500 as money well spent.

who knows maybe I will take a trip to Florida for vacation and leave the wife and son behind.... Oh wait I must be dreaming cause that is never going to happen.