Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

traxter toughness VS arctic Cat toughness (Battle of the Manuals)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battle of the manuals

Just wondering i'm looking into getting a Manual machine, something geared more for indistruction. I see a hard pick here. I want a 500CC machine with gears, my question is I want the ultimate strength in everyway. I know the traxter has this, but I also like the Manual Cat, as it now comes with Independant, the only manual out there with that, and has a 2wd option which is more cosmetic but good. The only thing it dosen't have is a locking front diff and the rad seems to be vulnerable looking in the front. But other than that I hear and seen that they are very tough also. How are they on fuel as to a traxter which is very good on fuel. I'm looking for any info anyone can help with.
This is a battle that i'm having a great deal of difficulty with. The reason i'm not going for a grizzly is I don't want a 660, if they had a 500 then it would be different with a manual tranny. Auto is great but I miss gears believe it or not.
Does anyone have that battle they had on this site last year between the Cat and the Traxter.
What kind of miles do you have on your machine! I seen a traxter on this site with 12000 miles he said, if that is true that has to be a record.
Thanks

Old 12-24-2001, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer

I prefer the cat myself, its not great on gas but makes up in power what it loses in gas milage. all around better worker/power monster/play bike.

Old 12-26-2001, 01:14 AM
Range Rover

I've been getting pretty good gas mileage on my 500i. But I don't have any exact numbers to get you (sorry, will have them next time). I just know how many gallons I have to put in it after a day of trail riding, and am pleased.

Truth be said, I don't have much experience with Traxter's, so I won't be saying anything about them one way or the other. I do know, that just about any ATV, with proper maintenance and care, could potentially get 12,000 or more. For example, my father bought the Honda 1986 Foreman TRX-350FM, that year, and still has it to this day. It is almost on it's 12,000'th mile, and he beats the crap out of that thing. From farm work most everyday, to snow plowing in the winters (upstate NY), to casual trail riding. He just does good maintenance on it and inspects it regularly. So I wouldn't worry about the AC or the Traxter living longer, chances are you they will outlive your use for them. I do know that the AC500, has a suzuki 500 engine and tranny that have been in use in ATV's since 88 or 89 in the quadzillas. They are tried and true setups. My AC dealers mechanic has never even seen the inside of a 500, other than 2 clutches he replaced in the years he's worked there. But, Traxter probably has similar stories, just not familiar enough with them. Anyway, I really like my 500i especially for working and it's low/high sub-tranny. good luck