Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What Happened To Elegant Simplicity ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The old Honda 300 was such a success because it was just a rugged basic simple machine!! Manual shift, full time 4X4, not to heavy, etc. What happened to the old saying "keep it simple stupid (KISS)".

The current crop of machines (like Hondas SUV Rincon) are just getting more and more complex to the point where it has become ridiculous!! When you have to have a bunch of onboard computers to control shifting, you are just asking for trouble down the line. And the prices continue to climb!! The consumer is stuck paying for NEEDLES COMPLEXITY. Maybe, the R&D guys just have a lot of extra time on their hands??

I rescued a guy the other day who's Polaris 700 (2 months old) rear end went to pieces. IRS sounds good in theory, but have you taken a good look at one? All those extra joints and bolts and sway bars just make the thing so heavy and complex and prone to failure. And talk about needless extra weight!

WE NEED TO BOYCOT THESE SILLY MACHINES UNTIL THEY DISAPEAR FROM THE MARKET.

Old 07-12-2002, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with you but you should see the mud I can go through with my 500i !! I did bust up my rear end a few months back and it just got fixed. My friends Kind Quad has IRS and its a very simple quad and it sucks really really bad in the mud compared to my 500i. People will pay these huge prices for the name, the fun factor, for the power, for bragging rights, the list goes on and on. There will always be people to fork over the cash.

I think the companies do need to slim down the quads, give them smaller more efficient motors, less complexity(KISS) and get those prices a little lower. I think a 500 or 600 is as big as it should go, just make the motors more efficient, look at the Z400. It makes like 2x the power of Suzuki's 400 4x4 and the torque is not that much different either and the Z400 is detuned!

Old 07-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

I make a distinction between what is "nice" to have and what is "necessary" to have. An automatic transmission, transfer cases, IRS, selectable 2wd/4wd, etc., may be nice, but one has to decide if they are worth the price you have to pay (extra weight, complexity, initial cost, high repair cost, and most important reliability, etc).

Weight is also a big issue in my mind. Weight saving is something I would be willing to pay big bucks for! A big factor in the clunkey handling of utilities is just simply the weight of the beasts.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Every one is just suffering from ATV Envy because theres are to small comparded to the BIG ones. And chick like Big ones "ATV's"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have no problem with huge engines, it's the increasing complexity of the packaging that I think is out of hand. Now explain something? Your wife rides the Ozark, doesn't that mean she likes little ones??????

Old 07-13-2002, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

put on the bullet proof vest because shots are being fired in this post!

Old 07-13-2002, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

I hafta agree with MonteSS. Of course I have a "big one". Each has their own preference. I can afford to pay the bucks and pay for the repairs etc., so why shouldn't I have the choice of if I want a KISS machine or a "no expense spared, all the bells and whistles" machine? After all, this is still (at least it is supposed to be) the land of the free. Now that is why that each of us gets to have their own opinion, but it would be just as bad for me to bash someone who either likes a KISS machine or can only afford a KISS machine, as it is for the same person bash me for my preference or extravagance. I am under no illusion, I understand that my machine has a greater number of electronic and moving parts, and might wear out over time, but that should be my perogative to take the chance and pay the piper instead of boycotting the industry of these machines just because someone might not care for them.

I guess I wrote it all just to say this; there are too many people bashing atv's anyway, let's not get caught up in turf wars trying to persuade people to our point of view. I love my machine and ride with a guy who has a big bear 400. Can I blow him away, of course, can I leave him in the dust on a big hill climb, of course, do I, of course not (well, sometime;-) I know that his machine is all that he wants and needs. Let's enjoy the sport and spend our energy banding against the wacko's that want to outlaw it altogether. Good clean bashing for fun is great, but let's not get caught up in boycotting our own industry.

Old 07-13-2002, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Last I checked honda still makes a rancher manual shift, an extremely tough and not all that boring ride(that KISS ride is reduced to an electronic ignition, and lets see, headlights, y , If their rincon was all they offered yes I'd say there was a problem. The bottom line is the manufacture can't trust GUMP with a manual shift UTE monstrosity. It's almost like commiting hari-kari, remeber you can get sued as a large corporation for selling coffee, much less real liability issues. ( Think of misz Connie Chung, doing a demo of the Rocky Reptoid 800, 16" inch clearance ute rolling over in any of four directions. )

Old 07-13-2002, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone needs to just take a step back and look at the original post,and calm down. I don't think he meant it to be an attack or slam on all the new stuff coming out,he is just pointing out that in our area of recreation,too much complexity CAN be,not will be, a problem. Speed sensors,fuel injector EFI control chips,torque sensing electronic controls, all take a beating out on a hot,muddy,wet,freezing,rocky,sandy,
dusty enviroment we subject our quads to. It really does make me wonder how well all this electronics will hold up when the machine is a few years old,and ridden hard. I personally have known a few snowmobilers wishing for a pair of good,simple carbs when their EFI chip left them stranded in the woods. I am NOT saying all the new technology is bad,just wondering how necessary it is to make our quads a rolling PC (personal computer)with all the electronic inputs and sensor controls. We all need a solid ride that will go through hell and still bring us back,and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link,I would hate to be stuck 50 miles down the trail because my speed sensor went out,and my transmission won't shift,or I have to idle home in 'limp mode' for a controler failure.
Give me a simple carb I can take apart on the trail and clean,and a simple transmission,(belt or manual shift)that is controlled by ME,not a little PC that tells me how to ride.
Just take this as it is meant,my OPINION, not a flame,new advances are great,we are getting more and better quads all the time,lets just not get carried away with all the gadgets.

Old 07-13-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with this thread in a slight way. I do not go for the IDS, but my Prairie650 does not have it. I love every feature it has, locking diff, selectible 2WD/4WD, sealed rear disc, engine breaking, auto tranny, clock, odometer, & hour meter. I use every feature & it is great to have companies offering this! Well worth the $6400 bucks.

Quick Reply: What Happened To Elegant Simplicity ???